AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

i have cruised with cindilouwho and i beleive she will be asleep b efore dinner.. i also been on the new o ship. .i prefer A anyday over her.. some people roaming the dance floor at night but I rather be on A even on a quiet night. love hanging in the piano bar.

as you know i am staying right here on A for the next two years.. wish she do the west coast to alaska or south amrerica on that coast.

I've been on AZ and O several times. I tried AZ in the pre-Larry days and the experience was so bad I said I would never do AZ again. I switched to O which I enjoyed. I decided to try AZ again because of Bill Leiber and positive reviews. Each cruise line has its virtues and negatives. After our July/Aug back to back AZ cruises booked before the big announcement and at substantially lower prices, I am back on O. While I think the AZ crew is the best on the seas, I do not think AZ's ships/cabins deserve a price premium over O and I do not think I should support a company that reneges on significant commitments. I could pay the higher freight but why should I when there is an available substitute. While I am sure others disagree, I cannot see paying significant increases that to me seem designed to bloat corporate profits rather than cover cost increases.

Maybe we cross paths one day :) My summer 2014 is still open, I'll book something on board Journey in December.

booked B2B Iceland and the one with Dublin.. can be changed but i never been to Iceland and i love Dublin.

love to meet you one day as i love your posts.

Anyone who thinks this new strategy is not a problem for Azamara should go over to the Oceania boards and read the thread "Oceania Newbie." Perhaps Messrs. Leiber and Pimentel should read it too. I think it speaks volumes.

Since you haven't sailed Azamara and Cindy hasn't been on Oceania - it is an irrelevant post as it holds no value - I give more weight to people who can make legitimate comparisons after sailing the lines in question as to actual price/value. I can always find a cheaper cruise but that is not my first priority.

Since you haven't sailed Azamara and Cindy hasn't been on Oceania - it is an irrelevant post as it holds no value - I give more weight to people who can make legitimate comparisons after sailing the lines in question as to actual price/value. I can always find a cheaper cruise but that is not my first priority.

How is this irrelevant?

Here you have a long time Azamara loyalist -- in fact cheerleader -- a term to which she does not object -- saying that Azamara priced her out of the market (despite having an empty ship) and did not seem to care if she and 6 other cabins moved elsewhere, despite their status.

Could not be more relevant

It is demonstrating how an overpriced Azamara may simply cause loyal Azamara customers to go elsewhere. I think I have read at least 50 posts on this thread that demonstrate that fact.

She is not choosing between Azamara and Carnival! (no offense to anyone who likes Carnival)

BYW neither of us is comparing the two lines -- we have promised to "compare notes" after we both sail.

Also meant to say that we won't even look at Oceania until they put a proper smoking policy in place. Allowing smoking in the forward lounge (Looking Glass) is a deal breaker for us. We can avoid outside areas but hate to be smoked out of inside areas.

Also meant to say that we won't even look at Oceania until they put a proper smoking policy in place. Allowing smoking in the forward lounge (Looking Glass) is a deal breaker for us. We can avoid outside areas but hate to be smoked out of inside areas.

I too am not a fan of second hand smoke

On the two new ships -- Marina and Riviera -- the smokers in Horizons are in a glass enclosure (like caged animals IMO). You will not be affected at all.

On the R ships there is no glass enclosure although if you sit on the other side of the lounge you will not be affected.

Anyone who thinks this new strategy is not a problem for Azamara should go over to the Oceania boards and read the thread "Oceania Newbie." Perhaps Messrs. Leiber and Pimentel should read it too. I think it speaks volumes.
-

Cindylouwho has simply exercised her right to compare prices, and for her and her group, for that particular itinerary, O was a better value, although she as an individual preferred Seabourn. There are enough cruise lines to go around, for every taste and pocketbook and whim. I repeat, it's just a vacay, and we will all choose according to our tastes, budgets and whims. Laraine...are you employed by O? I see no reason for anyone to continue to belabor this point or to continue posting on this board if there's nothing new or positive to be said. Azamara has stated its new policy, and we will wait and see how it compares to others. Sorry, but this thread has become a snooze.

I too am not a fan of second hand smoke

On the two new ships -- Marina and Riviera -- the smokers in Horizons are in a glass enclosure (like caged animals IMO). You will not be affected at all.

On the R ships there is no glass enclosure although if you sit on the other side of the lounge you will not be affected.

We prefer the R ships. I have read many posts on the O boards complaining of the smell of tobacco smoke which pervades the lounge...we are still considering cruising O, but this one issue concerns me.

-

Laraine...are you employed by O? I see no reason for anyone to continue to belabor this point or to continue posting on this board if there's nothing new or positive to be said. Azamara has stated its new policy, and we will wait and see how it compares to others. Sorry, but this thread has become a snooze.

Ru kidding?

Am I employed by O? Look at my future sailings below. I sail many different lines.

None of my posts has stated O is better than A -- I am not in a position to say that. I decided to try Azamara and I might like Azamara better. I am open minded. Some on these boards are also open minded. Some are not.

If you find this a snooze, your remedy is to unsubscribe from the thread. Ad hominen attacks are never appropriate on CC, although I seem to see them more on this thread than others.

Ru kidding?

Am I employed by O? Look at my future sailings below. I sail many different lines.

None of my posts has stated O is better than A -- I am not in a position to say that. I decided to try Azamara and I might like Azamara better. I am open minded. Some on these boards are also open minded. Some are not.

If you find this a snooze, your remedy is to unsubscribe from the thread. Ad hominen attacks are never appropriate on CC, although I seem to see them more on this thread than others.

It seems to me that, since you have yet to sail Azamara, you cannot make a judgement as to whether the price increase represents enough value to choose the line. I would like to sail Seaboourne all the time, but cannot afford it, so choose other lines many times. Does that mean I don't think Seabourne is a value for the money...I do indeed, although I am priced out of it.

There are many lines above certain peoples pocketbooks, but that is a fact that exists. Whether people will choose Azamara based on the new dollar value remains to be seen.

It seems to me that, since you have yet to sail Azamara, you cannot make a judgement as to whether the price increase represents enough value to choose the line. I would like to sail Seaboourne all the time, but cannot afford it, so choose other lines many times. Does that mean I don't think Seabourne is a value for the money...I do indeed, although I am priced out of it.

There are many lines above certain peoples pocketbooks, but that is a fact that exists. Whether people will choose Azamara based on the new dollar value remains to be seen.

What I have said is that I do not think the addition of some cheap alcohol (that many Azamara cruisers have said they do not want included at all) and the addition of one evening event for 600 people does not warrant the huge price increase. You do not have to have sailed Azamara to do the math.

What I have said is that I do not think the addition of some cheap alcohol (that many Azamara cruisers have said they do not want included at all) and the addition of one evening event for 600 people does not warrant the huge price increase. You do not have to have sailed Azamara to do the math.

I don't believe it was stated that these things "warrant" the price increase. It was announced that these items would be included AND that the price was going to be increased. You are inferring that this is the only reason for the increase.

You are inferring that this is the only reason for the increase.

No. That is not what I am implying. It is what you are inferring.

I am sure an increase every year is expected, as on other lines. Costs go up everywhere. I expect the cost of cruising to go up yearly. However, I along with many other posters on this board, are anxious to hear why the price increase is so substantial if it is not just because of the cheap alcohol and the night event. Is Azamara losing so much money that is needs to increase the prices so much? OK. Understood. They need to make a profit to survive. People will have to decide if a cruise on Azamara is worth it at that price point or if they will go elsewhere.

As for value to me personally, I would not partake in either the alcohol or the evening event so those "enhancements" do not represent added value to me. The price increase does not represent value to me (even with the over the top service everyone describes), especially if I can sail on Oceania for a lot less money and not have to subsidize everyone's alcohol consumption or outing.

I know the R ships well. They are older and lack many amenities. I chose Azamara for the size and the price point which was similar to Oceania and, according to many Oceania cruisers who have sailed both lines, a very similar experience to Oceania. It is not about what I can afford; it is about what I am willing to pay for a product.

... Azamara priced her out of the market (despite having an empty ship)

It's funny how people keeping saying that. Azamara certainly had lots of empty cabins when the line was first launched, but the last 6 cruises I've been on were all sold out. I'm sure that isn't the case for each and every sailing, but to say ships sail empty is completely besides the truth.

Floris

I don't believe it was stated that these things "warrant" the price increase. It was announced that these items would be included AND that the price was going to be increased.

I agree. Azamara needs to raise their prices, and the new inclusions are suppose to make it less painful.

Andy, do you not think it is time to lock this thread. There has been enough opportunity for everyone to have their say and all we are getting now are petty schoolchild "yah boo" posts.

Agreed. Let's wait now until Larry responds & then we can start "discussing" all over again. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It's funny how people keeping saying that. Azamara certainly had lots of empty cabins when the line was first launched, but the last 6 cruises I've been on were all sold out. I'm sure that isn't the case for each and every sailing, but to say ships sail empty is completely besides the truth.

Floris

i have been on 7 cruises and the only 2 not full were at Cmas when many people stay with their familes. plus one was 16 days and that is too long for families .the other was S America. all my other cruises were full or close too. i was not the only one in my own cabin.

Floris

If you look at the post to which I referred, the poster who made this statement was saying that now, at the time she was booking the 7 cabins, the ship had lots of empty cabins. That certainly does not mean it will not be full by sailing date.

You took a snippet out of a post out of context and then contradicted it to make a point that did not need to be made IMO. No one posted that the ships were not sailing full. I certainly assumed that they were, given all the favorable reviews.

Program details:

§ Here are examples of some of the spirits, wines and international beers that will be offered:

Spirits: Call brands

- Rum - Appleton, Bacardi

- Vodka - Finlandia, Smirnoff

- Tequila - Cuervo Gold, Sauza Gold

- Scotch - Cutty Sark, J&B, Johnny Walker Red

Wines: Boutique wine of the day

Beers: International selection of brands

Azamara Club Cruises' Fares to change on November 1, 2012

Are these brands of alcohol considered cheap as mentioned? I do not know since we do not drink any of them.

Are these brands of alcohol considered cheap as mentioned? I do not know since we do not drink any of them.

Not really, they are the type that goes well with a mixer, not cheap just normal. Select spirits are things such as single malts for whisky (glenmorangie single malt) instead of blended, Grey Goose vodka, Remy martin brandy also known as top shelf :)

Not really, they are the type that goes well with a mixer, not cheap just normal. Select spirits are things such as single malts for whisky (glenmorangie single malt) instead of blended, Grey Goose vodka, Remy martin brandy also known as top shelf :)

I would like to see Baileys Irish Cream offered as I like a drop in my hot chocolate. That is something I would actually drink, and what I enjoyed on SilverSea when we came back from our Arctic expeditions.

I would like to see Baileys Irish Cream offered as I like a drop in my hot chocolate. That is something I would actually drink, and what I enjoyed on SilverSea when we came back from our Arctic expeditions.

The standard (classic) drinks package on celebrity (not premium) let you have a speciality coffee with irish cream ;) So its probably on the list:) Actually it might be worth looking at the standard package that is offered on celeb and that will be the available drinks!

Archived