AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

Here is the issue in a nutshell:

Azamara wants to be at the low end of the luxury lines. The posters on this thread want Azamara to remain an upper level mass market line.

Guess who is going to win!

Azamara Club Cruises loyal guests want Azamara to be successful and around for a long time. We have found a niche and we are happy.

Back to the restaurant analogy. As stated in prior posts not too many restaurants announce a price increase in 2012 for 2014. We all agree that price increases are industry wide and we do expect increases along the way.

Azamara has listened in the past to some of our concerns. However this time I think it will be different. I hate to be pessimistic. Do we really think that Corporate is going to bow to our pressure? I do believe that they think if we all abandon ship they will obtain new guests from elsewhere.

As I've stated previously, time will tell.

If they don't do the honest, ethical thing, which would be to grandfather those of us who went under deposit before Azamara withdrew the discounts, the travel press will know about it, and the AG's office in my state will know about it....it goes beyond the 'escape' language used in the cruise contract'. As I stated elsewhere; if Azamara puts the screws to us on this issue, how could anyone trust that they won't do it again on other 'perks' even after customers go under deposit. I've sailed 26 cruises with mostly other lines and never, ever have I come across this treatment before. Hopefully, we'll get a response this week....I'll point out, to add insult to injury, if we cancel due to this issue, Azamara also has in place a cancellation fee.

You are in the US. I haven't had a chance to look but is this with or without taxes and port fees, and with or without a Choice Air Credit? Thanks.

I have noted there is a huge difference in some of the cruise pricing, i.e. they are not the same per diem across the board for Insides vs Outsides vs Veranda's etc. We would traditionally expect a lower rate on any of the transatlantic or repositioning cruises, and the same for those out of Miami (because of the competition), as well as higher prices over the December holidays.

Jade - this is the posted fare at the time of booking without port charges and taxes (something that is out of AZ's hands) so straight costs without the choice air credit or any onboard credits that were received. As I mentioned, this is for the exact same cabin on all 3 cruises (veranda).

Sorry but I disagree - using my Burma example from #231

2012. 11n in V3 £1981pp

2013. 14n in V3 £3318pp but this is over Christmas so I accept a premium

2014. 13n in V3 £3256pp NOT over Christmas.

So that takes us from £180.09pppd to £250.46pppd which is 38% increase:eek:

I don't understand how you can disagree. There is nothing to disagree with. These are the numbers. As I stated, different cruises have different per diems.

In the end it does not make any difference what enhancements they add it is how much does it cost and is it still a value and today looking at the 2014 prices I have to say no.

And for many of us they've added NO enhancements (evening excursion and bottom-shelf liquor) of real value TO US, while taking away the 50% shore excursion discount and steeply increasing prices. Some rather inconsiderate posters call those of us who feel this way "negative" but to us, this October 1 announcement is nothing but negative. Pay more, get less. How else to describe it?

The other issue Azamara will have to deal with is how people who feel this way are going to perceive any already-booked cruises they are yet to take. Will they be more apt to notice things not quite up to snuff that would have passed unnoticed before this announcement catering to "up-market travelers" changed their attitude somewhat toward the cruise line?

I recently also sailed with Azamara (Sept 25, 2012)and today was about to pull the trigger on a cruise next summer until an agent informed me that 1/2 price excursions were not part of the 2013 program. At this point have stopped the planning. I am hopeful that cooler heads will prevail and they will at least honor the 1/2 price excursions with those that already have open booking.

As a RCL stockholder I understand what is happening but am very disappointed the this shabby customer service - bait and switch tactics.

This is not the way to treat repeat customers.

As a customer I feel cheated (keep your liquor and evening land tour and give me what I signed up for)

As a RCL stockholder I understand what is happening but am very disappointed the this shabby customer service - bait and switch tactics. This is not the way to treat repeat customers.

As a customer I feel cheated (keep your liquor and evening land tour and give me what I signed up for)

Agree completely - the "bait and switch" shows corporate arrogance by cavalierly switching the 50% off shore excursion I thought I purchased when I booked the cruise for something I don't particularly want and saying I'll like it more. I want what I contracted for.

Agree completely - the "bait and switch" shows corporate arrogance by cavalierly switching the 50% off shore excursion I thought I purchased when I booked the cruise for something I don't particularly want and saying I'll like it more. I want what I contracted for.

Would you feel the same of Larry announces that the excursions will be at the 50% off rate regardless if you book before or onboard...there is a chance that this may happen...everyone is assuming that by taking away the 50% off and making them the same price across the board that it will be at the 100% price...AZ struggles to fill tours at 50% and am hopeful they realize that making them 100% across the board will give them empty tours...

Funny how it's never "bait and switch" when you get a better deal...

Would you feel the same of Larry announces that the excursions will be at the 50% off rate regardless if you book before or onboard...there is a chance that this may happen...everyone is assuming that by taking away the 50% off and making them the same price across the board that it will be at the 100% price...AZ struggles to fill tours at 50% and am hopeful they realize that making them 100% across the board will give them empty tours...

Care to place a bet about the 50% rate?;);)

Bill Leiber has posted it will be more than 50% and less than 100%. Since the baseline number is not that easy to determine, I'm not sure how we'll really know what it turns out to be.

Frankly, there is a plus in having one price fit all, in that you can now use on board credits to buy shore excursions without feeling you're getting fleeced by paying a ridiculous number that's twice what others are paying. But if the excursion prices approach anywhere near the exorbitant 100% prices of today, it won't be pretty here.

Funny how it's never "bait and switch" when you get a better deal...

Obviously, 50% off anytime is better than 50% off with time restrictions. However, Bill already indicated that the 2013 shore excursion prices would be higher than 50% under their recently announced thinking. He said between 50% and 100% and you can guess where Azamara will peg them. While your scenario is theoretically possible, if you truly believe Azamara is going to offer 50% off shore excursions anytime, I have a bridge and a couple of other things lying around that I'd like to sell you.

Obviously, 50% off anytime is better than 50% off with time restrictions. However, Bill already indicated that the 2013 shore excursion prices would be higher than 50% under their recently announced thinking. He said between 50% and 100% and you can guess where Azamara will peg them. While your scenario is theoretically possible, if you truly believe Azamara is going to offer 50% off shore excursions anytime, I have a bridge and a couple of other things lying around that I'd like to sell you.

I'm trying to think positive!

Care to place a bet about the 50% rate?;);)

Bill Leiber has posted it will be more than 50% and less than 100%. Since the baseline number is not that easy to determine, I'm not sure how we'll really know what it turns out to be.

Frankly, there is a plus in having one price fit all, in that you can now use on board credits to buy shore excursions without feeling you're getting fleeced by paying a ridiculous number that's twice what others are paying. But if the excursion prices approach anywhere near the exorbitant 100% prices of today, it won't be pretty here.

NO bets, LOL!

I agree! The excursion prices for our upcoming cruise were priced rather high even at the 50% discount (and were absurd at the 100% price.) Other posters have commented that Azamara should attempt to provide more exciting and different shorex (other than the one Azamazing night) I think this would set Azamara apart from other cruiselines and, if priced right, would tempt diy's (like me).

I don't understand how you can disagree. There is nothing to disagree with. These are the numbers. As I stated, different cruises have different per diems.

You costs go up $ 30 pd over 2 years, that is around £20

My costs go up £130pd over 2 years.

How can you claim that you "are not seeing huge price increases":confused:

Jade, yes my costs are with taxes, like for like. No flights or hotels, just cruise only.

You costs go up $ 30 pd over 2 years, that is around £20

My costs go up £130pd over 2 years.

How can you claim that you "are not seeing huge price increases":confused:

Jade, yes my costs are with taxes, like for like. No flights or hotels, just cruise only.

"I" am not seeing the huge increases, which is what I stated. You can tell me that you are seeing them but you can't disagree with my numbers. I am only concerned with what I am looking at booking and my costs. My preferred travel locations may not be as popular as some of the other cruises that showed large increases. My point in posting was that if you look around there are cruises out there that are not showing increases as large as others (in fact some have actually decreased).

We have taken two Azamara cruises, but I'm pretty sure we will not be taking any more. The prices will just be too high for us...not a good value for us...we dont drink and are not interested in the evening shore ex. Just not a good value for us anymore. Sorry to say..

If they don't do the honest, ethical thing, which would be to grandfather those of us who went under deposit before Azamara withdrew the discounts, the travel press will know about it, and the AG's office in my state will know about it....it goes beyond the 'escape' language used in the cruise contract'. As I stated elsewhere; if Azamara puts the screws to us on this issue, how could anyone trust that they won't do it again on other 'perks' even after customers go under deposit. I've sailed 26 cruises with mostly other lines and never, ever have I come across this treatment before. Hopefully, we'll get a response this week....I'll point out, to add insult to injury, if we cancel due to this issue, Azamara also has in place a cancellation fee.

My guess is that they would agree to waive the cancellation fee. I don't think it was that much.

We are on the 1st voyage on Journey in May 2013 without the 50% off excursions features. At the time we booked (end of August), the 50% discount was still promoted but NO EXCURSIONS WERE AVAILABLE for our voyage and no pricing was announced. So we couldn't calculate 50% of anything - had no clue what the excursion price would be. It was nice idea, but certainly could not be deemed to be critical factor in our decision. For all we know it could be 50% of a price we wouldn't want to pay. It would had been a different story had the excursions been available at the time we made our deposit. For those in our situation, don't believe it is a legal issue.

FT

sorry, if I posted in wrong thread ... but wasn't sure if allowed to post in Mr. P's thread where OP is very upset.

I think the 50% off of excursions was a nice touch but we were able to book similar or more inclusive excursions for the same or less money. However, there were certain instances where there were no other options other than the ship's excursion. (Ie. Komodo island) They tied up all the guides and then at 50% off, charged $59 to take a less than 1 mile walk to see 2 lazy dragons.On some of the other threads, people who were not on a cruise and were there on a non cruise day, paid $2 for the same walk. Having never been to Komodo, we of course wanted to see the dragons and signed up for the trip. Unfortunately, we never made it to Komodo as the ship caught on fire. Hopefully, when we return in march of 2014, azamara will try and be realistic about this and other excursions,where there are few alternatives. They certainly are entitled to make a profit but please, be aware in those circumstances. Thanks.

I think the 50% off of excursions was a nice touch but we were able to book similar or more inclusive excursions for the same or less money. However, there were certain instances where there were no other options other than the ship's excursion. (Ie. Komodo island) They tied up all the guides and then at 50% off, charged $59 to take a less than 1 mile walk to see 2 lazy dragons.

We are hoping to go to Komodo Island in the future, and would hope to see more than 2 Komodo dragons. That would have been disappointing for us. We can see them at the National Zoo. I know it's not the wild, but I imagined there would be a lot more lizards to see on the Island.

Was this walk from the ship, or from another drop off point?

Despite the naysayers there are those of us who really appreciate all-inclusive cruises and I'm happy the wonderful Azamara ships are heading in that direction. Some of the non-drinkers may drift away but many other all-inclusive fans who currently sail Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, etc. may come over to Azamara for the same amenities that they prefer but at a better price point. Makes sense to me and many thanks.

I myself like the sound of what is going to happen. But as a family it doesn't really work for us. My other half and father are diabetic. Also with so many people on prescription drugs that say don't take with alcohol. Children under 18. Sounds like you want to turn it into a party boat. Yes, Richard:D

"Some of the non-drinkers may drift away but many other all-inclusive fans who currently sail Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, etc. may come over to Azamara for the same amenities that they prefer but at a better price point."

I really doubt that these luxury cruisers are going to migrate to Azamara for many reasons. The amenities are not the same.

Most of all, the ships are not what those cruisers want. I personally love the R ships (which is why I decided to try Azamara) but the staterooms would be unacceptable to those that cruise the premium lines. Nothing Azamara can do about that.

The liquor is not top shelf. Luxury cruisers expect more.

The surcharge for the restaurants will be unacceptable to many luxury line cruisers. They would consider it "nickel and dining."

The few Regent cruisers who have moved over to Oceania for price considerations are sailing the newer O class ships for the most part (Marina and Riviera), which have larger staterooms and are more luxurious with 4 free speciality restaurants -- they can purchase a beverage package and it is more inclusive that Azamara -- gratuities and speciality restaurants are included.

Above all, I am not sure it is a better price point! I just got an email from Crystal cruises with 2014 and 2015 itineraries. They seemed pretty reasonable to me. Now I have no interest in Crystal for many reasons, but do a comparison 2014 to 2014 Azamara and Crystal -- I was shocked.

Archived