IPAD on RC ships

mo&fran

There have been a number of posts regarding IPAD use on RC ships. Do they work. DW has recently gotten an IPAD and we are wondering if it will actually work. I have seen posts that they work just fine. I have also seen posts where there is an issue with the Apple browser working on the Microsoft hosted WiFi on the ship. I also saw a post, from the Oasis class ship, where a person with an Apple computer was told to connect to the system through an Ethernet port on the phone.

The way I understand how IPADs work, if so equipped, they can access the internet through either a cellular connection, or similarly, through a WiFi connection on the ship network. If a person goes the cell route, they can say their IPAD works just fine, except for the bill. As far as wifi, if they do not establish an account on the ship computer, it will not work. If they set up an account, they can access the network, cost depending on the package selected.

My question is this. If DW brings her IPAD as it comes configured from Apple, will the browser work through the wifi connection, or does she need another browser installed. IPAD does not have an Ethernet port installed.

Used mine with no issue on several RCI ships. Set up a username and password for WiFi access, bought an Internet package and away I went.

You just need to be careful to bookmark the log off page in Safari so that you can log off properly to stop using your Internet minutes.

There are user guides provided by RCI on board and so it's worth picking up one of these for the advice.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1y6fxoIXyDxLW5HbXhNX2EteUk

Depending on the ship, the log off 'address' may be different than that shown in the document above, this was from Liberty and it was different on our latest sailing in August on Mariner.

Please note the disclaimer RCI put on page 1 about handheld devices.

Thanks for the replies. THe process appears to be transparent with respect to the platform being used, ie microsoft laptop or IPAD. We will be on Explorer early next year, and that was the one I was worried about. Be on Allure in December and Celebrity Reflection in November. I will have my laptop as backup, but DW loves her IPAD.

• 1 month later...

The royal caribbean website certainly confuses the issue. Notice that it says windows:

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

Thanks for the replies. THe process appears to be transparent with respect to the platform being used, ie microsoft laptop or IPAD. We will be on Explorer early next year, and that was the one I was worried about. Be on Allure in December and Celebrity Reflection in November. I will have my laptop as backup, but DW loves her IPAD.

Just go to one of the RCI on line PC's and set up your wireless account. We used one of the two PC's located in the Concierge lounge on the Allure. After that we had no issues with the wireless on both iPads in our cabin.

I have taken my iPad in several Royal Caribbean cruises over the past few years. I has always worked. On my earlier cruises, I'd log out, only getting a generic message on my screen (not terribly reassuring). On Oasis last week, I got a better log off message stating that I was logged off and how many minutes were used (more reassuring and more informative).

I've had no issue using iPad or iPhones on RCL ships. I have three bookmarks saved to logoff the wifi that have worked on different ships. After using one of my bookmarks I normally get the "you have been online and used X minutes"

The only "issue" I've ever had with the wifi is when you first log on with an iPad or iPhone there is a popup box telling you to bookmark the log off link, but it vanishes MUCH to fast to even react.

http://192.168.132.1/ekgnkm/icafe2.asp

http://appdb.rccl.com/

http://appdb.rccl.com/ekgnkm/wirelesslogin.asp

There have been a number of posts regarding IPAD use on RC ships. Do they work. DW has recently gotten an IPAD and we are wondering if it will actually work. I have seen posts that they work just fine. I have also seen posts where there is an issue with the Apple browser working on the Microsoft hosted WiFi on the ship. I also saw a post, from the Oasis class ship, where a person with an Apple computer was told to connect to the system through an Ethernet port on the phone.

The way I understand how IPADs work, if so equipped, they can access the internet through either a cellular connection, or similarly, through a WiFi connection on the ship network. If a person goes the cell route, they can say their IPAD works just fine, except for the bill. As far as wifi, if they do not establish an account on the ship computer, it will not work. If they set up an account, they can access the network, cost depending on the package selected.

My question is this. If DW brings her IPAD as it comes configured from Apple, will the browser work through the wifi connection, or does she need another browser installed. IPAD does not have an Ethernet port installed.

I had an issue last March 2011 on Liberty and following a conversation I had this past July with an RCI IT tech, same problem even on Oasis. Basically, there are only so many IP numbers each ship can have dedicated to their servers and not nearly enough to meet demand. So, once they are all tied up, anybody trying to log in wirelessly cannot. All ships "reboot" their servers each morning which releases anybody who is still tied into the system as some products, for whatever reason, "hold" an IP address even though they have logged off. I was also told there is a new system coming to RCI ships sometime during the summer of 2013.

James

I've used my iPad via wifi with no problems on the Explorer, Enchantment, Allure and Jewel. As others have noted, make sure you log off at the end of your session. I've always gotten a " bookmark this page" message after logging on with a link to the logoff page. If all else fails, simply turn the wifi off on the iPad to end the connection.

Another thing to remember, if your iPad has a magnetic cover it is best to remove it as it will demagnetize Sea Pass cards.

No problems other than when the network is clogged because of all of the wireless devices. However, keep in mind that if you have a US cellular data package attached to your iPad, that data package does not include international travel. Wifi is universal. I'm sure the only reason they have "Microsoft" listed in the terms is so that they only have to have to support a single type of system.

Another thing to remember, if your iPad has a magnetic cover it is best to remove it as it will demagnetize Sea Pass cards.

:eek: DOH! I thought it was just the iPad that kept doing it... never even thought about the case!!

Note to self - get a new case before the next cruise!

Never had an issue with the iPad and the wifi... now the seapass card - different story ;) lol

Archived