Please give me some insight on Liberty

Hi all! I've been trying to plan a cruise with my family for almost 2 years and things keep getting in the way. But none of us are getting younger or less busy so I'd really like to do it now. We have my parents, 67 and 69, me (38), my sister and her husband and their 2 year old son. We'll have two staterooms. They all have only stayed in an oceanview. My parents had a porthole view last time and loved it. I have only stayed in a high deck, balcony, hump cabin. :) My boyfriend and I just find that we are in our room often, enjoying our balcony and so this will be a very different cruise for me.

When I keep trying to choose rooms on RCCL.com I keep getting stuck on the 2nd or 3rd deck. Any idea if this is awful and horrendous? I feel like it has to be just because it would take forever to get anywhere but maybe I'm making that up in my head. I also don't want to have my parents or the baby right next to a nightclub so honest feedback as to if you hear noise on these decks would be great. :) I did see a balcony available on deck 6 in 6550 but is this an obstructed by lifeboat view? Thanks!

Just my 2 cents. I hope you will all be booking 3 staterooms. :) In a situation like this...I would probably book through a travel agent and make sure everyone has travel insurance.

I don't know why you can only find deck 2 & 3 staterooms, a TA could probably find availability on other decks.

You will be together on the same ship. I would book a balcony, if I wanted one and then book others on different floors in the same area. Elevator and stairs are easy to visit. And you can dine and tour together. JMO. :)

Lol, oh yes, it will be separate staterooms but only 2 :eek: I'm bunking with my Mom and Dad :rolleyes: It's the only way to really do it and keep the costs down...Thanks for your info! I'm going to contact a TA tomorrow I think. I thought it was super strange that I can't find anything on the site.

a lot of people seem to like deck 2. evidently well chosen cabins there can be nice and quiet. Since you are near the bottom of the route, when you call an elevator, there is usually plenty of space.

as you select cabins, check the deck plan to see what is above you...if you want a quiet cabin, you probably do not want to be below noisy public areas.

From a low deck you are also closer to the gangway...quicker on and off the ship on port days.

have a fun family trip.

You will probably use the elevators anyway so decks 2 and three are not that bad. You will be closer to the ice rink and the MDR than if you were on 9 or 10. Of course the pool and buffet will be an elevator ride away.

Also may want to just use one of the large Internet travel sites. They will show all open cabins with the room flashing on the deck plans. Easy way to go thru each deck and see what is available.

Also give your dates and many on here will help you out.

I just used a travel agent on this cruise (for the extra perks). And while she did nothing really wrong, I forgot how I don't like having control of my booking.

With just two rooms, it's not like your are booking a large group. I would do some research on my own and then book directly with RCI

Liberty is a great ship - I did the same on ours last winter (bunked in) and found it difficult to find a "low end" cabin with a sofa rather than a Pullman even 6 months out. We're inside people only using the cabin to sleep and shower and would rather cruise twice a year in an inside rather than once a year in a balcony.

My initial goal was to get one of the OV on deck 6,7,8 or 9 fwd which there's only a handful of. I personally can't see the point of a porthole on deck 2/3 where most times you'd have to climb on the bed to see out the window at the waterline...

We did however end up in a JS on Liberty as the 3rd person rates for the JS were much lower than the inside/OV (no idea why... luck of the draw) so when averaged out it ended up only being about $150 more each for a JS! Check out all your options! Luckily I didn't become a balcony snob or a suite junkie and returned to my cozy cave inside stateroom on the Oasis a couple months later without a problem!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Or, have the deck plans in front of you and CALL RCI on the phone! They can give you all your options, and pricing. But...do have those deck plans in front of you when booking! You should know what you're paying for!

On this ship, there are no lifeboat obstructions!

We loved Liberty, you will too.

Talk to a TA if having trouble. We have AAA so they book our for us at no extra charge. Plus they can see the exact rooms available and can call RCI to confirm things while sitting there.

Wow thank you so much for the info everyone!! It was so very, very helpful :) I had NO idea that there were no lifeboat obstructions! Very good to know!

So our dates are anything in February. We're pretty flexible. I'd love something that leaves out of NJ but if we end up in Florida instead it probably evens out $$-wise with airfare to Florida. I've noticed that cruises from NJ are more expensive. Not to mention I don't know if it's worth being cold for a whole day on board. If we leave out of Florida I'd do two days before in Fl. and one day after just to extend it. My dad's plant shut down two years ago so he doesn't have a job to go to and my Mom is too sick to work anyway. They'd love a little time at the ocean, I'm sure. And I have 17 paid vacay days coming to me in a job I'll be leaving in April! Woot! :p

So myself, my Mom and my Dad are in one cabin, my sister, her hubs and their son in another and now my bestie and her hubs in another. We're hoping (but it probably won't pan out) that my other sis, her teen daughter and her partner will be able to come too. If we had that many people/cabins would we get a group discount/rate? Also I've been assured today that my Mom was totally amazed by her little porthole window lol and they were on deck 3 when they last cruised so I think anything porthole and above will totally amaze them. They are super simple people, we lived in poverty for many years and a big night out for them is to the diner. :D I want to make this a memory they cherish forever.

The Liberty is simply an amazing ship!

I would strongly suggest that you call Royal Caribbean and book through them! They are very helpful, and, if you ever want to make a change, or catch a lower rate, you just give them a call. If you book through a TA, you have to go through them for any changes.

There is a very amazing website you can go to which shows you what rooms are available on any sailing. We can't post links here, but if you google search, you should be able to find it. It will put a little dot beside each available cabin. Awesome site. Although it does not show every available cabin, it shows a huge amount of them.

You should have no problem getting 2 cabins in Feb.

I too have tossed up the sailing from NJ rather than FL idea (quick 2 hr flight to EWR rather than 8-9 to FLL)... One thing to consider is you could be "cold" for 2 days on the ship rather than spend 2 days sitting in airports and zooming though the air in a tin can... Unfortunately for me flights that go to EWR are basically the same price as to FL ($496 vs $537 for the same random dates in Feb) so it really doesn't make sense to only go to EWR

Have you checked out Freedom as well... Pretty good prices for the feb 24th sailing $1650 for 3 in an interior... $2150 for the OV ... Might end up cheaper to do the 7 nights and not pay hotels for the other nights than go for 5 on Liberty although Valentines week on Liberty is REALLY CHEAP with the seniors discount! ($1400 tax in for OV)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Archived