looking for weather info for possible Hawaii cruise

libno

Never been to Hawaii and looking to do a cruise there in either January or February 2013 on RCCL. Wonder what the crossing on the Pacific is like at this time of the year. Also, any tips on which Islands are a must to visit? Which port is easiest to depart? I live in Alberta, Canada. Any helpful tips much appreciated.

marise:)

The weather can not be predicted between those two months, and you should experience about the same. Hawaii overall, is very even. The water is a little colder Jan/Feb, so I always bring my wet suit. I go out snorkeling every day, for at least an hour at a time. Also pack in several boat tours.

Kona and Lahania will both require tendering, but frankly, hardly an issue unless you are significantly mobility impaired. Instead, I suggest you find out about the differences between the islands and if available pick the itinerary that has your preferences.

Crossing the Pacific you can definately expect rough sailing, with no way to predict anything. IF prone to motion sickness, then your only option is prevention. Simple- consult your heath care professional.

IF you want the most "Hawaii", then sail out of there, not waste 10 days at "sea" and only 4 in Hawaii. You will have to decide what you want. Me, a ship means nothing, I've been on 78 cruises, it's all about the itinerary and where the ship takes me. :) Some people are impressed by cruise ships. There are good mixes for everyone.

Never been to Hawaii and looking to do a cruise there in either January or February 2013 on RCCL. Wonder what the crossing on the Pacific is like at this time of the year. Also, any tips on which Islands are a must to visit? Which port is easiest to depart? I live in Alberta, Canada. Any helpful tips much appreciated.

My first time in Hawaii, on a land tour of three islands, was in February. Lots of rain, but it was Hawaii, and we were away from work. Not a big deal.

Second time in Hawaii, for our honeymoon, November, some rain.

Next two times was on the RT out of LA. Both starting on December 22, five years apart. First of those, cool weather leaving LA, rough seas first few days, got warmer closer to the islands. During our time there, sunny or partly cloudy in upper 70s/low 80s. No rain. On way back, mostly warm weather, smooth seas. Warm spell in Ensenada and LA in early January.

Last cruise, rain the first few days (we had several days straight of rain in LA), mostly upper 70s in the islands, very windy and humid (a little rain in Honolulu). Cool and rough seas mostly on the way back with 50s in Ensenada and LA. We actually just missed snow near our home a few days before our return. But despite the weather, one of our best vacations ever as it was on the Golden Princess which makes it a truly island experience on board (there are many CCers who have done several of the Princess RTs because of that -- we're going to do it a third time).

Royal on transits Hawaii April/May on the eastbound trips and September on the westbound.

I’ve done this cruise several times in January and February but on other lines.

Weather will be cooler first day or two and last day or two but then warm up.

We have found the weather in Hawaii to be absolutely wonderful this time of year. In the early morning you may need a light jacket but if you do it will warm up nicely.

I highly recommend this cruise.

Keith

My first time in Hawaii' date=' on a land tour of three islands, was in February. Lots of rain, but it was Hawaii, and we were away from work. Not a big deal.

Second time in Hawaii, for our honeymoon, November, some rain.

Next two times was on the RT out of LA. Both starting on December 22, five years apart. First of those, cool weather leaving LA, rough seas first few days, got warmer closer to the islands. During our time there, sunny or partly cloudy in upper 70s/low 80s. No rain. On way back, mostly warm weather, smooth seas. Warm spell in Ensenada and LA in early January.

Last cruise, rain the first few days (we had several days straight of rain in LA), mostly upper 70s in the islands, very windy and humid (a little rain in Honolulu). Cool and rough seas mostly on the way back with 50s in Ensenada and LA. We actually just missed snow near our home a few days before our return. But despite the weather, one of our best vacations ever as it was on the Golden Princess which makes it a truly island experience on board (there are many CCers who have done several of the Princess RTs because of that -- we're going to do it a third time).[/quote']

Hey, Patty, DD and I are going next Thanksgiving week and week after for my birthday on Grand from SFO. Can't wait to go. When are you going again?

If you would like to get the weather history, you might want to do a search on "weather underground". They are very helpful

If you want to know more info, try sailwx(dot)info

Hope this helps. We leave for our first trip to Hawaii in 20 days:)!

Archived