Cancellation Insurance Covering Work Emergencies?

TBone2K

We would like to plan a cruise in the summer, but since its so far out I can't be sure about coverage and emergencies and my work won't guarantee the time off unless I wait to book until February. Its difficult to explain.

So my question is this... Lots of insurance covers you against losing your money if you have to cancel based on heath, weather, cruise cancellations, etc. Has anyone ever tried to find insurance that will cover not only heath, but cancellation due to work? Anyone ever have to call on their cancellation insurance because of a work emergency? My TA has already checked if she could find such a thing and didn't have much luck.

It wouldn't have to cover being called back once I've left, only if I can't go at all, and only the cruise itself not the flight.

We would like to plan a cruise in the summer, but since its so far out I can't be sure about coverage and emergencies and my work won't guarantee the time off unless I wait to book until February. Its difficult to explain.

So my question is this... Lots of insurance covers you against losing your money if you have to cancel based on heath, weather, cruise cancellations, etc. Has anyone ever tried to find insurance that will cover not only heath, but cancellation due to work? Anyone ever have to call on their cancellation insurance because of a work emergency? My TA has already checked if she could find such a thing and didn't have much luck.

It wouldn't have to cover being called back once I've left, only if I can't go at all, and only the cruise itself not the flight.

I believe there are cancel for any reason policies. I've never priced them, but I would think they would be more expensive.

The TravelSafe plan for Canadians includes the following under covered reasons for trip cancellation:

"p. You or Your Travelling Companion are required to work

during the Trip. A written statement by a company officer

and/or the Human Resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required;"

Just be sure you have that pre-approval for the time off in writing.

http://www.travelsafe.com

You might need a doctor note ...

????

If you cancel for a covered medical reason' date=' you need a lot more paperwork than "a doctor note". If it's for work, this has nothing to do with a doctor.

In the US, several providers (TravelGuard is one) offer Coverage for Work Reasons, usually included for free with their "standard" plans, as long as you purchase the policy promptly.

In my state, coverage for work reasons is not included free in the standard plans for Travelguard. For example, adding a "Cancel for Work" reason rider cost $24 (+$3.00 in fees) for a trip costing $1,000.

My recommendation is to look at various plans and then contact the insurance companies about your question. Be sure that if you find the plan that meets your needs that it is very clear in writing and you fully understand all documentation that would be required if you needed to cancel the cruise.

Keith

Archived