Suite/Elite Internet

xavier

I think I discovered why I haven't been able to connect.

I walked downstairs and the internet cafe was packed with a long line. I said to a man "now I see why I can't connect". and he said that there was a note at the desk.

It was a maintenance list. They will be down every morning from 7 to 9 and evening 10 to 12. That's when I'm in the cabin and doing nothing and want to get on. Not sure if this was going on everyday but why those times ?- do it in the middle of the afternoon!!!! So don't save things until the last day or two.

I know the last night is terrible with having to do final bills but this is frustrating.

Also - do not wait until 9 pm the last night to print your boarding passes for your flights. It is a nightmare down there.

We booked our first Suite, two seven day cruises B2B in a Window Suite in Alaska, last year. While on the cruises this September we both got our "free" Platinum/Elite minutes and signed up for that package of 250 minutes first. We never went over our 500 minutes on either cruise and did not need to deal with the unlimited issue and having charges reversed. This included posting to a CC thread I created for the cruise and responding to questions. I use an e-mail client (Outlook) and all e-mail is composed and read off line. Uploading/downloading e-mail usually only takes 2-3 minutes.

We got a great deal on the price for our WS, but for the price most people are paying for a Full Suite those without Gold status should be given the same "free" minutes as Platinum/Elite receive. That's just my Two Cents worth.

I sign up for the 500 minutes. I also download sites and then log off and compose off line. I didn't use many minutes on our first leg - very port intense. Several thing that I did discover.

If your minutes run out while you are using the internet, it automatically charges you by the minute.

I have had problems logging off. You need to go to logoff.com. I got a new laptop for this cruise with an internet or whatever it is called button to turn off the internet signal ( I know nothing about computers - they still charged my minutes. Also, half the time when I tried the logoff.com, I got "cannot connect to the internet" but I was still connected.

And another time I saw the "you have so much % left on the battery" I was in the middle of something and forgot to plug in and the computer died. I plugged it in but we went to dinner. I was not logged off so it used 2 1/2 hours of minutes. I won't ever do that again!

Also, the last evening they will cut you off at 10 pm (they did that at Christmas without any warning so I have learned now, to make sure you have minutes left if you need to do anything (like printing off boarding passes late that night) or something first thing in the morning.

On the b2b's I was told we could not use the internet after 10 in the morning until 6 pm BUT I made sure I had minutes and was able to use it on turn around day.

I sign up for the 500 minutes. I also download sites and then log off and compose off line. I didn't use many minutes on our first leg - very port intense. Several thing that I did discover.

If your minutes run out while you are using the internet, it automatically charges you by the minute.

I have had problems logging off. You need to go to logoff.com. I got a new laptop for this cruise with an internet or whatever it is called button to turn off the internet signal ( I know nothing about computers - they still charged my minutes. Also, half the time when I tried the logoff.com, I got "cannot connect to the internet" but I was still connected.

And another time I saw the "you have so much % left on the battery" I was in the middle of something and forgot to plug in and the computer died. I plugged it in but we went to dinner. I was not logged off so it used 2 1/2 hours of minutes. I won't ever do that again!

Also, the last evening they will cut you off at 10 pm (they did that at Christmas without any warning so I have learned now, to make sure you have minutes left if you need to do anything (like printing off boarding passes late that night) or something first thing in the morning.

On the b2b's I was told we could not use the internet after 10 in the morning until 6 pm BUT I made sure I had minutes and was able to use it on turn around day.

Thanks for the info!

I'll get the larger package too! don't expect to be on much, but you never know, right?

I understand the irritation. It was a great perk. The reason fopr Princess making a change is the abuse of the priveledge. We traveled with one couple on a 30 day cruise and they were upgraded to a suite and got the perk. Problem, they connected their two laptops and did not signoff the whole trip. They used over $18,000 of time. In addition this tookup some of the bandwidth and kept the rest of us sitting longer waiting onthe slow contacts. The second abuse was that of allowing friends not in suites to use their "free time".

I remember when the IC was first brought aboard it was free to everyone. People would bring their business aboard and spend all day doing their work. Some vacation. Hence, Princess instituted the pay system with free minutes for the more loyal travelors.

Yes,

When you sign in, you have to purchase minutes. That is how it has always been but they use to take it off right away. Now they don't - ever since they eliminated the perk so you have to go down and tell them that you booked before that date, Then, they say " I have to go speak to my supervisor" and they come back ten minutes later and say "ok". I showed them the letter from Princess each time. But as I said - it never came off so I had to go back three times. Finally the charges came off. Now, you would think that since the cruises were linked, they would know it should be taken off the next cruise but I will go down tomorrow and remind them. I'm not worried - they are just real busy. If you booked before July, I'd suggest you print a copy of the letter you received and if you don't have one, call and ask them to e-mail something to you. I have two more cruises that I booked before July and will make sure that letter comes with me each time.

aikensbest,

because I am paying a hell of a lot of money to book those suites, especially the GS. So, yes, I think I deserve some free minutes. It really is not fair to take them away when they still offer free minutes to elite and platinum. Watch people complain if and when they have that perk dropped. yes, I know you still have your elite and plat ones. This has been discussed many times. Many jealous people say "too bad - you abused that perk" maybe some do but not all of us. You could say the same thing for the laundry - how many elite abuse that perk.

We get the Thermal Suite as a perk. Haven't been able to use it the past two weeks because it has been packed every time we have gone up there, so not all suite perks are that great.

I hope I explained it.

We have always had the Grand Suite when we cruise, which has had a computer in the room and is free 24/7.

I always find it incredible when people speak so authoritatively about issues like abuse of free internet. We have traveled in suites for the last 10 years. Our suites have always been paid (not upgrades). We have never allowed anyone to use our free minutes. We have never logged on and stayed logged on for the length of the cruise. We have frequently experienced the same problem Compozer has when attempting to logoff necessitating multiple attempts to logoff. Because we are Elite we will continue to receive the free minutes afforded through that program. However, for less frequent cruisers who are not entitled to free minutes but pay for a suite, I believe Princess is dropping the ball in not offering them a package of free minutes as a perk. The perks Princess added when they dropped free internet hardly make up for that loss. The "welcome aboard" treat (ours was a bowl of almonds) is a joke. The No cover charge at a specialty restaurant on the first night is nice but many of us got that through our credit card company already. As Compozer mentioned, the Thermal Suite is usually so busy that the free use of it is irrelevant.

As to the comments about people conducting business while onboard -

People would bring their business aboard and spend all day doing their work. Some vacation.

Not all of us are retired. Some do still have jobs to perform and the only way we can be gone for more than a few days is if we can stay in touch with our office. It's presumptuous to state that because we do, we are not on vacation.

We have always had the Grand Suite when we cruise, which has had a computer in the room and is free 24/7.

You mean WAS not is.

I really think that if Princess gives a suite as an upgrade, it should be the the cabin only. Not all the perks -especially the internet. when you are elite, you really get those perks anyway - other than Sabatini's.

cruisinfools,

I have heard things like that with people who get a suite as an upgrade. I wonder if they have any statistics on what percentage of people who were offered an upgrade to one really books them again. Most time you read someone saying they were upgraded and that it will probably the only time they will ever be in one.

You mean WAS not is.

I really think that if Princess gives a suite as an upgrade, it should be the the cabin only. Not all the perks -especially the internet. when you are elite, you really get those perks anyway - other than Sabatini's.

cruisinfools,

I have heard things like that with people who get a suite as an upgrade. I wonder if they have any statistics on what percentage of people who were offered an upgrade to one really books them again. Most time you read someone saying they were upgraded and that it will probably the only time they will ever be in one.

Is it not free anymore in the grand suite....every time I would check at the desk, they didn't even know I had a computer in my room....but we have never been charged for any computer use. We go in February to Hawaii on the Sapphire....will be curious to see if they took out the computer....seems a small thing compared to the amount we pay for the Grand Suite.

Compozer, take good care of the GS for us. I agree that if upgraded to a suite you only get the room, no perks. If you are platinum or elite you will have internet minutes and other perks anyway. We have booked suites as needed to stay connected to work. Compozer, sorry you are having problems getting menus we had the same problem in Feb on GP for 14 days, so ate in the buffet most nights -not what we should have had to do. Am really looking forward to dinner in the room for 14 days on CB. Do you think your cabin steward will still be on in Feb? I wish they would limit Thermal Suite, again allowing only those paying for suites first then add a few more for others, but keep it limited. As for upgrades in Sabatinis for breakfast we have seen people who have been upgraded taking advantage of it and arriving after it should be closed (time) and then trying to order whatever they want.

I agree.

If you need me to, I can see if I still have the contact info and post it.

Lots of little things have been very frustrating not only on these b2b2b cruises but our last one as well.

We are allowed to order lunch and dinner off the MDR menu in our cabin as a suite perk but they don't leave it in your cabin like they use to. First week I was ready to scream. Our steward said his supervisor said he had to have the menus printed so he didn't have them yet. WHAT!!!!!!!!! After about four times of him saying that, I said " I want to talk to your supervisor - he is not telling the truth - they reuse the menus"!!!! Then I finally got him to bring them and guess what - they were never the correct menus. Makes you feel like an idiot when you call room service. That is another reason we book suites - we don't do the buffet. Said I wasn't going to complain at all about this cruise - too many people are still hurting from Sandy but it may be the end of booking Princess and their suites.

My first suite was on the Golden this past June. We too never saw a room service menu in our room. Luckily for us we didn't want to eat in our room . I had forgotten about that particular perk so I never asked about it.

To follow the logic of some of you, those who are upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony shouldn't be allowed out on their balcony, either. And if you get upgraded to a minisuite, no welcome glass of bubbly for you -- and they'll block off the sofa and tub so you can't use that, either.

You people remind me of the old saying about Puritans: the gut-wrenching fear that somewhere out there, someone is having a good time.

I was just in a suite last week and went down to the internet cafe to ask if I still got free suite minutes. I was given 1500 free minutes for the week. Never hurts to ask :)

That's what I'm talking about!!!! That is the princess I know.

rdsgrl,

and you probably have never booked a suite -

I was just in a suite last week and went down to the internet cafe to ask if I still got free suite minutes. I was given 1500 free minutes for the week. Never hurts to ask :)

Maybe someone had showed them the Suite Perks Video. It's still on the website and it'll probably be a while before that is updated as CariBill noted.

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to ask. I will ask in March.

Rick

...As for upgrades in Sabatinis for breakfast we have seen people who have been upgraded taking advantage of it and arriving after it should be closed (time) and then trying to order whatever they want.

I paid for a suite last September and my adult kids were upgraded from a mini-suite. We all ate breakfast in Sabatinis and I'm not sure how you would tell which of us paid and which didn't. Even people that pay for suites can behave badly.

Denise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a statistic as it is only us I can speak for but yes the free upgrades do for suites after the "freebie". We were elite and it was the first upgrade of any type so were pleased to get but having been in a suite guess where we are booked on the next cruise? Island suite to go through the Panama and would be in a suite for the Amazon but they are sold out so while we are waitlisted we'll cancel and book a year later and yes it will be in a suite.

Archived