LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Trainman, Thanks for your continuing commentary & pix; they bring back great memories from our Canal cruise on Brilliance.

We're also very interested in your comments about Vision. We'll be sailing with her in February on a 21-day B2B.

The exception was the Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin. Three of my Table Mates and I have had it and none of us liked it. That doesn't mean that it was inedible, only that we were expecting a more turkey like offering (think Thanksgiving). Food is subjective and we simply didn't like this offering.

It was certainly cooked "right" with a crisp outer crust and moist tender turkey.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Edited by Trainman-2

Today and Tomorrow are both Sea Days and I plan to explore the ship, Deck by Deck, and photograph everything.

Really looking forward to this, as DH and I are going on Vision in January for our 44th Anniversary. :) Enjoying your review very much !

Thanks.

And what kind of donation did that "once in a lifetime" experience cost? Wow! That probably checked off a bucket list item you didn't even know you had.

The cost was $25 and I was able to play with him for about 15 minutes.

I was sorry to see so many negative postings about it.

They had two White Lion Cubs there and if they were, in fact, sedated, it was only to insure that they didn't "go wild" and hurt somebody.

The little guy I held was really squirmy and very active! He wanted to play! When I finally put him down next to me he kept jumping back up. The photo of him on his back was his "signal" that he wanted his tummy rubbed. His "purr motor" was on full when I rubbed his tummy.

I can't help but recall years ago when I was teaching Junior High School Science. I had the Fish & Game guys bring live animals into the classroom often. My Principal told me it was OK to do it but to be extra safe.

The kids loved the baby alligators (3 - 4 feet long) but we taped their mouths shut with black plastic electrical tape.

That was not cruelty, it was common sense!

Edited by Trainman-2

Do you mind me asking how many internet minutes do you go through on a daily basis? Is it easy to log in and log out? could I login do something really fast and log out? or is more likely that I just do longer sessions and get the most done like that?

Hi Trainman!

I have 2 questions:

1) You had mentioned the buffet being the "older tray style". Does it still have the same amount of selections as the newer buffets on the newer ships?

also 2) Are you a Diamond member or above? if so do you know where the Diamond event is, and what they serve for snacks to go with wine?

Thanks for your time you are putting into this!!!!!

1. YES, they have plenty of stuff to choose from. By "old tray style" I meant that they still have the place to set a tray and slide it along.

2. We are Diamond Plus. The Diamond Event every night is the entire Viking Crown Lounge and they have lost of appetizers out to keep us happy.

Just finished reading the 59 pages and loved every minute of it!

Question or comment about "Santa" - I'm pretty sure he was on a Carnival Liberty cruise on March 4, 2006 with a group of Jimmy Buffett fans - 450 of them, in fact. He always wore shorts and on formal night he had his black shorts on with his white tuxedo shirt and jacket. Oh, and he also wore either a cheeseburger or parrot hat on his head with this outfit.

One more comment on the funny mouth/throat feeling - you might want to always carry Benadryl or something like it with you in case it ever happens again. Our family always ate seafood a lot and after a shrimp dinner when she was about 45 years old she broke out in a terrible rash. I gave her a Benadryl and the rash and itching quickly went away. She checked with her company nurse the next day and was told to avoid shellfish which she has done since.

However, when were on the Rhapsody in Australia she ate something and started breaking out in a rash again. We think there was some kind of sauce she ate that probably contained shellfish. It was not listed on the menu and she never thought to ask. Lesson learned.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You are a special couple.

Just finished reading the 59 pages and loved every minute of it!

Question or comment about "Santa" - I'm pretty sure he was on a Carnival Liberty cruise on March 4, 2006 with a group of Jimmy Buffett fans - 450 of them, in fact. He always wore shorts and on formal night he had his black shorts on with his white tuxedo shirt and jacket. Oh, and he also wore either a cheeseburger or parrot hat on his head with this outfit.

One more comment on the funny mouth/throat feeling - you might want to always carry Benadryl or something like it with you in case it ever happens again. Our family always ate seafood a lot and after a shrimp dinner when she was about 45 years old she broke out in a terrible rash. I gave her a Benadryl and the rash and itching quickly went away. She checked with her company nurse the next day and was told to avoid shellfish which she has done since.

However, when were on the Rhapsody in Australia she ate something and started breaking out in a rash again. We think there was some kind of sauce she ate that probably contained shellfish. It was not listed on the menu and she never thought to ask. Lesson learned.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You are a special couple.

Hi. My sister has a bad allergy to shellfish which she stays away from. She does eat other fish (sole, haddock, snapper etc.). However, after eating grouper once she had a severe allergic reaction. She was told by the doctor that groupers "feed" on shrimp and that was the problem. fyi

He is doing a Back-to-Back with us. I made a point to sit and talk with him and he said he does "play up" with the "Santa thing" and doesen't mind people taking photos of him.

Turns out he cruises a lot and is a really nice guy.

I finally managed to get three photos uploaded to Photobucket. The ship is rolling a bit and that often affects the satellite link.

Judith slept late so only my breakfast today.

IMG_1452.jpg

Not much of a sunrise anywhere today. High humidity and a lot of mist.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

The cost was $25 and I was able to play with him for about 15 minutes.

I was sorry to see so many negative postings about it.

They had two White Lion Cubs there and if they were, in fact, sedated, it was only to insure that they didn't "go wild" and hurt somebody.

The little guy I held was really squirmy and very active! He wanted to play! When I finally put him down next to me he kept jumping back up. The photo of him on his back was his "signal" that he wanted his tummy rubbed. His "purr motor" was on full when I rubbed his tummy.

I can't help but recall years ago when I was teaching Junior High School Science. I had the Fish & Game guys bring live animals into the classroom often. My Principal told me it was OK to do it but to be extra safe.

The kids loved the baby alligators (3 - 4 feet long) but we taped their mouths shut with black plastic electrical tape.

That was not cruelty, it was common sense!

Of course it was cruel. We just didn't care so much in those days.:o And you would never see a zoo or vendor sedating a lion or tiger cub on the street corner just so people could play with him in the US, so it does jolt my sensibilities when I see it elsewhere. It can't possibly be good for them in the long term. <hopping off soapbox now>

1. YES, they have plenty of stuff to choose from. By "old tray style" I meant that they still have the place to set a tray and slide it along.

2. We are Diamond Plus. The Diamond Event every night is the entire Viking Crown Lounge and they have lost of appetizers out to keep us happy.

That's good to see - we had no appetizers on our Fjords cruise - others had reported getting them on earlier cruises, so perhaps they just didn't bother for a 5-nighter. Not that we needed them.:D

Hi. My sister has a bad allergy to shellfish which she stays away from. She does eat other fish (sole, haddock, snapper etc.). However, after eating grouper once she had a severe allergic reaction. She was told by the doctor that groupers "feed" on shrimp and that was the problem. fyi

I was kinda wondering the same thing but...he had the shrimp ceviche the next day (brave or dumb???!!!!) and did okay. Whatever it is, I agree with keeping Benadryl on hand at all times........doesn't sound like it was the shrimp. The nurse in me wants to know if this has ever happened to you before, Trainman?

Edited by alwayshappytocruise

Wow... I guess shrimp cocktail at dinner every night is no longer an option! Actually, if I eat too much shrimp, my nose turns bright red and feels hot! Frank will notice and ask, "have you been eating shrimp again?" Luckily it never happened on the cruise! Glad you're ok!

I was kinda wondering the same thing but...he had the shrimp ceviche the next day (brave or dumb???!!!!) and did okay. Whatever it is, I agree with keeping Benadryl on hand at all times........doesn't sound like it was the shrimp. The nurse in me wants to know if this has ever happened to you before, Trainman?

I read it that he had shrimp the same day, but for lunch. He posted in reverse order unless I'm reading it wrong. Of course, you can develop an allergy at any time. I'm allergic also, but so far only it's only a gastro reaction. I just avoid all sea food and most fish from the sea. I do eat Salmon, Tuna and Tilapia, but that's pretty much all I have from the ocean.

I know someone who was able to eat shrimp until she went overseas and developed an extreme allergy. The allergist said shrimp comes from different parts of the world and has different diets and she was apparently allergic to what she had in Europe which only made her more sensitive to all shrimp.

I have read on CC many times about the terrible pizza on RCI Ships so I thought I would give it a formal rating

From Best to Worst

Domino’s

Papa Johns

Pizza Hut

Gas Station Pizza

RCI Solarium Pizza

US Army Mess Hall Pizza

Cardboard with Ketchup

Cardboard

Actually I really liked the crust. The bottom was nicely browned to a light tan color. The crust was just right, not too dry or crumbly and not soggy. The sauce was good but along with the cheese was a bit sparse as were the pepperoni slices.

If they doubled the sauce, cheese, and toppings it would be as good as any of the major chain pizzas.