Princess Policy one bottle of wine on board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1717251

VERY upset!

We just got an email from Princess regarding our upcoming cruise in December, and there is a list of items that includes "important information". In that info, they mention the change in their policy regarding how much wine one can bring on board. It appears that they now have the same policy as Carnival, which is one bottle of wine or champagne per person when you board. They also go into considerable detail about searching your checked baggage for any more than that and removing it. I would not have booked this cruise had I known that this would happen. Their wine policy is a big reason why we chose Princess. Anyone else get information about this?

J.A.H.

i heard that you cant take any wine on carnival at all--is this true?

NZ do make some very good Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs

True - so I will have to keep an eye out. We rarely take wine (and never spirits) onboard so if we find something we like we will arrange for shipping (possibly unlikely as we have large number of wines at home waiting to be consumed).

We choose to count the cost of drinks onboard as part of the holiday cost - cannot be bothered (or over it) carrying stuff on so that I cut down what I spend!

True - so I will have to keep an eye out. We rarely take wine (and never spirits) onboard so if we find something we like we will arrange for shipping (possibly unlikely as we have large number of wines at home waiting to be consumed).

We choose to count the cost of drinks onboard as part of the holiday cost - cannot be bothered (or over it) carrying stuff on so that I cut down what I spend!

Fair comment. I admit to carrying on like a poor man to save what??? A couple of dallars. At the end of the day most people only cruise once a year and when you work it out I wonder why I bothered to bring a couple of bottles at all. Still, they went down well. Lol

Dave

I remember carting lunches and drinks etc when going places - by the time it came to eat they were usually hot and soggy and I had carried around all that extra weight. Now we just suck it in as they say and pay!

BTW - your comment on people cruising once a year might be a bit off the mark if you look at the signatures of posters on here!

I have never cruised before, I leave in 7 days and I want to take wine on with me. I am not doing that to try and reduce the cost of our bill, but rather to have the wine I like in our room. I am unsure of the wines on board, and I know the wine I like, so easy take them and you know you have them. Nothing to do with what they cost on board.:eek:

See, that's probably the difference between us - we would rarely drink wine in the cabin or on the balcony. We might have a nightcap from the bar and take it back but we have left many a bottle supplied "free" unopened. We often buy bottles at dinner but as there is usually only 2 of us, have them save it for the next night. We tend to only drink wine with meals.

I have never cruised before, I leave in 7 days and I want to take wine on with me. I am not doing that to try and reduce the cost of our bill, but rather to have the wine I like in our room. I am unsure of the wines on board, and I know the wine I like, so easy take them and you know you have them. Nothing to do with what they cost on board.:eek:

depends who you are cruising with, p&o & carnival spirit not allowed to bring wine onboard

I barely drink so my annoyance at some of these rules is nothing to do with it, what I don't like is being treated like an out of control teenager. Allowing people to buy a bottle of wine at each port would hardly break the ships profit line would it.

Sue

I agree but it is not the " one bottle" of wine or even two from ports, it is the people who take on a dozen or more at embarkation and then top up in port. I have nothing against the 2 bottle rule that used to be there ( per cabin) and paying corkage if you take it to the restaurant but I am less than kind when people discuss how they take on so much wine (and spirits) that they do not need to pay for drinks!

It's a bit like taking your own drinks to the pub.

Maybe cruise lines got sick of passengers rorting the system.

people take on boxes of soft drink or water so they dont have to buy it on the ship, not much difference to taking on 2 bottles of wine to drink in your room

And I consider that in the same class as those who take on extra wine or spirits - would not do it.

As I said before I have no issue with people taking on what's allowed to drink in their cabins. The cruise lines seem to be tightening up on their policing and I know Carnival has not made any friends with its edict that no wine can be taken on.

IMO some people see taking on drinks as somehow "beating" the cruise line. It does not, the lines are savvy - they know how much "slippage" is occurring and prices are set accordingly.

Given that I do not cruise Princess I probably should butt out.

I am pretty sure the wine rules are quite an old rule with Cruising!

Wine buffs may want to drink a particular wine or vintage of wine at dinner and a cruise ship cannot supply the range of wines needed to satisfy these guests so allow them to bring it aboard.

Cruising has changed over time and become more readily available to all with cheaper prices and for some (self included) BYO wine is nice but just a way to save a buck or so on the final bill. lets face it who wants to pay$40 plus for a wine at dinner or in your cabin that costs less than $10 in the bottle shop.

P&O Australia do not allow you to bring wine onboard but I did using the "old rule"

I had a very expensive commemorative bottle of Champagne for my sister in laws 50th birthday,I called P&O head office and they allowed it.

Actually getting it past security was another matter but persistence/insistence paid off! next time I would get the P&O permission in writing but at the price of the fizz it would have to be when she turns 100 at least lol

Call your cruise line and I am sure if the wine you drink is not available onboard they will let you bring your own,catch is you will have to hand it over to the head of dinning services to be brought out at dinner and you will be charged cork age on each bottle.

Den

The cruise lines just want you to buy their wines at highly inflated prices. Last year on a Princess ship - bottle of Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio, you can buy it on special here for $8. Princess MDR $40 per bottle !

To be fair restaurants do the same thing..400% markup is not uncommon..its just part of the ships revenue stream. I am happy to pay corkage...I don't drink much but I would like to bring on a couple of wines..I know that I like.

Looking forward to my elite benefits though a cocktail from my minibar on the balcony will be lovely.

Sue

We experienced no problems taking our two bottles of wine each on the Sea Princess last month in our carry on bags and also getting 1 bottle at each stop in New Zealand. The interesting thing we notiiced is that Aussie wines (red) are usually cheaper than the NZ and they also had South Africian wines in the bottle shops.

The cheapest bottle of Aussie red on board was Rothbury Estate shiraz I think, at $27 but the cheapest was a Californian wine at $25 I think.

Hubby had his wine in cabin but still bought a bottle of wine in dinning room and had it kept for 2 nights. I don't care as I don't drink unfortunately.

The cruise lines just want you to buy their wines at highly inflated prices. Last year on a Princess ship - bottle of Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio, you can buy it on special here for $8. Princess MDR $40 per bottle !

And they get them tax free and if they buy them in USA it would be even cheaper:D

When we bought wine in LongBeach C.A for a cruise in June we were shocked at how cheap some of our Margaret River wines were in USA compared to at home:eek: and we only live 250kms away so no transport costs half way around the world?

I would be much happier is they allowed everyone a cask each instead of a 750 ml bottle,we have some quite nice 5 lt casks:D

Den

Archived