Princess Policy one bottle of wine on board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1717251

VERY upset!

We just got an email from Princess regarding our upcoming cruise in December, and there is a list of items that includes "important information". In that info, they mention the change in their policy regarding how much wine one can bring on board. It appears that they now have the same policy as Carnival, which is one bottle of wine or champagne per person when you board. They also go into considerable detail about searching your checked baggage for any more than that and removing it. I would not have booked this cruise had I known that this would happen. Their wine policy is a big reason why we chose Princess. Anyone else get information about this?

J.A.H.

From Princess thread -

I have just read through the Travel Summary and Important Notices sections on the Personalizer for all three of my upcoming cruises and none of them say anything about the new policy regarding alcohol. Lots about the smoking policy, and wheelchairs and Visas, but nothing on the alcohol policy.

That said, the Princess Passage contract on the website was revised as of last month, and the newest version does have a new statement in section five regarding the scanning of all luggage for suspected excess alcohol.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Passage_Contract.pdf

cherylandtk

Section 5 makes interesting reading, especially about not being responsible for any loss of alcohol taken from luggage.

From Princess thread -

I have just read through the Travel Summary and Important Notices sections on the Personalizer for all three of my upcoming cruises and none of them say anything about the new policy regarding alcohol. Lots about the smoking policy, and wheelchairs and Visas, but nothing on the alcohol policy.

That said, the Princess Passage contract on the website was revised as of last month, and the newest version does have a new statement in section five regarding the scanning of all luggage for suspected excess alcohol.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Passage_Contract.pdf

cherylandtk

Section 5 makes interesting reading, especially about not being responsible for any loss of alcohol taken from luggage.

I know it is their policy, but different Ships regulate the BYO alcohol policy in different ways. The Senior Ship's Security Officer has a big say in how he instructs his gangway security staff to police the rules. If you know what I mean. Being a retired cop, I like to talk to the ships security officers, many of whom are former Police, so I get to know a little about cruise ship security procedures

We always whack a couple of 2 litre casks of wine in the suit cases to get the party started, never had a problem, but then most of our cruises have been on the 'American Princess Ships, i.e. the likes of Crown, Ruby, Coral, Star, Diamond, Regal, Pacific Princesses, etc. We have been on Dawn Princess and Sun Princess out of OZ and took on the casks as described, but that was around 4 years ago. So my advice to you, (wink) is perhaps slide a couple of nice wine casks into your luggage, they fit nicely in Princess cabin fridges, believe me.

If the worse case scenario happens and they take them off you, what have you lost, $25? Well not lost, you will get them back on disembarkation, but I reckon you will be ok.

Above all, Enjoy !

Hi, We are going on Princess again. I was talking to my TA yesterday, and to clarify the wine saga. We can take on 1 bottle of wine each adult every time we board. So I guess that means every port you can take on a bottle of wine, no spirits. Its been 1 bottle of wine for as long as I have been cruising. I will be taking the wine on our next trip to NZ early in the year. Last time, we took on the wine, they just waved us through the check point, but wanted to check we didnt have spirits.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi, We are going on Princess again. I was talking to my TA yesterday, and to clarify the wine saga. We can take on 1 bottle of wine each adult every time we board. So I guess that means every port you can take on a bottle of wine, no spirits. Its been 1 bottle of wine for as long as I have been cruising. I will be taking the wine on our next trip to NZ early in the year. Last time, we took on the wine, they just waved us through the check point, but wanted to check we didnt have spirits.

Hope this helps. :)

And remember you can buy those BIG 1.5 litre bottles ! Enjoy !

On the Sun Princess World Cruise this year we had both sides of the spectrum. From Sydney all the way around to NY, it was open slather - they did not care. It was quite funny seeing the slabs and wine cartons being taken aboard at all the ports.

Once we hit NY , it all changed, the one bottle policy came into play, and they had a desk set up at the security xray to take it all off you, and it stayed like that for the remainder of the cruise.

Rumour has it - yes I know rumour - that there was an ugly event up on Riviera deck late one night before we got to NY, some very drunk people, made a scene - allegedly really tanked up on their sly grog, so Security said no more open slather.

The other rumour was that Princess Execs from Head Office were boarding in NY (which was true as there were quite a few aboard doing inspections) and Security wanted to be seen adhering to the policy.

Dont know if any of the above is true, but I can vouch for the policy adherence from NY onwards.

Steve

it has always been one bottle per person.... everyone just ignored it that eventually it was assumed you could take on more than one.....

in 2011 WC garry got pulled up a couple of times with the 2 bottles in his back pack.... he would just say "I'm with her "....... the rule in the T & C's says on embarkation only ... they tried that on us in Darwin and got what for from all the 2000 passengers LOL.... They even started to confiscate the wine..... they ended up giving it back... probably didn't have enough storage to keep it all :eek::D:D

it has always been one bottle per person.... everyone just ignored it that eventually it was assumed you could take on more than one.....

in 2011 WC garry got pulled up a couple of times with the 2 bottles in his back pack.... he would just say "I'm with her "....... the rule in the T & C's says on embarkation only ... they tried that on us in Darwin and got what for from all the 2000 passengers LOL.... They even started to confiscate the wine..... they ended up giving it back... probably didn't have enough storage to keep it all :eek::D:D

All of us who were following your enjoyable blog, can well remember that occasion in Darwin, silently admiring your mutiny and cheering your success! :)

I know it is their policy, but different Ships regulate the BYO alcohol policy in different ways. The Senior Ship's Security Officer has a big say in how he instructs his gangway security staff to police the rules. If you know what I mean. Being a retired cop, I like to talk to the ships security officers, many of whom are former Police, so I get to know a little about cruise ship security procedures

We always whack a couple of 2 litre casks of wine in the suit cases to get the party started, never had a problem, but then most of our cruises have been on the 'American Princess Ships, i.e. the likes of Crown, Ruby, Coral, Star, Diamond, Regal, Pacific Princesses, etc. We have been on Dawn Princess and Sun Princess out of OZ and took on the casks as described, but that was around 4 years ago. So my advice to you, (wink) is perhaps slide a couple of nice wine casks into your luggage, they fit nicely in Princess cabin fridges, believe me.

If the worse case scenario happens and they take them off you, what have you lost, $25? Well not lost, you will get them back on disembarkation, but I reckon you will be ok.

Above all, Enjoy !

Les, do you mean you take the wine out of the box & just put the bag in your suitcase. Are they strong enough it could get messy.

Les, do you mean you take the wine out of the box & just put the bag in your suitcase. Are they strong enough it could get messy.

its known that some people take the bladder out of the box and put it in a plastic bag and put it in your carry on bag and it goes thru the xray scanner

No mate, we leave it in the Chateau Cardboard, I like the pretty colours on the box. We like the De Bortoli or Banrock Casks. A bit of Merlot and a bit of Sauv Blanc, something like that.

When we were on Arcadia recenty, I put the Poms onto the casks, many came back from the stops in Adelaide, Melbourne and Freo with a cask or two or three or four, a long away across that Indian Ocean. LOL. I liked Arcadia, you could buy one litre bottles of spirits at their shop, £8 ($12), every day, many as you like, for immediate drinking. Plus bring on what you liked, lubberly jubberly. No wonder the bars were quiet on board.

No mate, we leave it in the Chateau Cardboard, I like the pretty colours on the box. We like the De Bortoli or Banrock Casks. A bit of Merlot and a bit of Sauv Blanc, something like that.

When we were on Arcadia recenty, I put the Poms onto the casks, many came back from the stops in Adelaide, Melbourne and Freo with a cask or two or three or four, a long away across that Indian Ocean. LOL. I liked Arcadia, you could buy one litre bottles of spirits at their shop, £8 ($12), every day, many as you like, for immediate drinking. Plus bring on what you liked, lubberly jubberly. No wonder the bars were quiet on board.

Sounds good to me, we like Banrock as well :)

We also take the 2litre casks on board packed (still in the cardboard) in our luggage. We have also been known to take 2 litre and 4 litre casks on board at ports of call. :D I think, whether or not they are strict on the policy of one bottle per person depends on the Head of Security at the time.

We also take the 2litre casks on board packed (still in the cardboard) in our luggage. We have also been known to take 2 litre and 4 litre casks on board at ports of call. :D I think, whether or not they are strict on the policy of one bottle per person depends on the Head of Security at the time.

Oh so do you think it would only work for a Princess ship?:cool:

Oh so do you think it would only work for a Princess ship?:cool:

yes if you cruise on a princess ship, a non princess ship take the bladder out of the box and put in a shopping plastic bag and have in your carry on and it'll go thru the xray

Correct, I always ask the Senior Security Officer at the Gangway if it is OK to bring back some reasonable quantities of vino and also cider these days, as I cannot drink normal beer anymore. I have never been knocked back. I also sometimes bring on Gluten Free beer, which they do not stock on board, no problems, but just ask. At Fort Lauderdale last year I had preordered a case of Gluten Free beer from Princess, it was delivered to my cabin, no problems, with only a small mark up from supermarket prices. Good service.

My advice is just be reasonable with your BYO wine/beer, but be wary of bringing spirits on board, they do not like that. I would not even try.

• 2 months later...
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1717251

VERY upset!

We just got an email from Princess regarding our upcoming cruise in December, and there is a list of items that includes "important information". In that info, they mention the change in their policy regarding how much wine one can bring on board. It appears that they now have the same policy as Carnival, which is one bottle of wine or champagne per person when you board. They also go into considerable detail about searching your checked baggage for any more than that and removing it. I would not have booked this cruise had I known that this would happen. Their wine policy is a big reason why we chose Princess. Anyone else get information about this?

J.A.H.

Greetings!

I hope you had a lovely cruise. I just found out about the change in the Princess wine policy and wonder if you saw a change to the prior policy? Thanks!

Another thing we liked on our previous Princess cruise was if you take wine on that they sell onboard we could take it to dinner and not be charged corkage fees:) So we know what wine we will be taking on board next cruise;)

I can't believe that people get upset because they can not bring on more than one bottle per adult per port.........OMG does anyone ever walk around with a clear head?

And does it really upset your cruise if you have to go booze free for a short while until the next port????? might actually do your liver good......ROFLMAO

Oh my eyes are opened! ;)

The problem is that it is not per port.

It is only on embarkation that we are allowed 1 bottle per person.

AS for the rest of your comment - booze is available on board although at a much higher price.

The problem is that it is not per port.

It is only on embarkation that we are allowed 1 bottle per person.

AS for the rest of your comment - booze is available on board although at a much higher price.

We love wine, as evidenced by three wine refrigerators in our home - one red, one white and one for futures. We wanted to visit New Zealand in part because any country that could produce such fabulous Sauvignon Blanc needed a visit. So, we will be visiting a great wine region and we can't pop into a shop and buy some obscure and wonderful wines we would never find at home? Trying new food and drink is part of the reason we love to travel. If they enforce the new policy I will be irked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

We love wine, as evidenced by three wine refrigerators in our home - one red, one white and one for futures. We wanted to visit New Zealand in part because any country that could produce such fabulous Sauvignon Blanc needed a visit. So, we will be visiting a great wine region and we can't pop into a shop and buy some obscure and wonderful wines we would never find at home? Trying new food and drink is part of the reason we love to travel. If they enforce the new policy I will be irked.

If security confiscate the wine and return it at the end of the cruise, at least you will still have them. The only difference is that you would not be able to drink them on the ship (and also have to get them home). Many wineries do send wine overseas for you - might be worth checking out. Might be odd but I really do not like sav blanc so I won't have to worry on my upcoming trip to NZ :)

If security confiscate the wine and return it at the end of the cruise, at least you will still have them. The only difference is that you would not be able to drink them on the ship (and also have to get them home). Many wineries do send wine overseas for you - might be worth checking out. Might be odd but I really do not like sav blanc so I won't have to worry on my upcoming trip to NZ :)

NZ do make some very good Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs

Archived