What will be our best way of debarkation?

lola4795

We have a 7:30pm flight out of Miami. We will obviously have time to waste and will be in no hurry to get off the ship.

I see a lot of posts from people who are in a hurry to leave the ship and catch a flight, but I don't see many from people who have time to kill.

It seems like I've seen that debarkation is done by zones. If our zone is called and we don't want to leave, can we leave with the next zone?

Are we better off doing self assist luggage or checking it at the door the night before? We don't mind carrying our bags. We pack light and have 2 strong teenage boys to do the carrying.

What is the latest we will be allowed to stay in our room? Can we go to breakfast and then come back to the room to pack?

I understand the hurry for the staff and the turn around time for the next cruise. What is the absolute latest we can stay on the ship? When we decide to leave, can we just proceed to the exits or is there a protocol we have to follow?

We have a 7:30pm flight out of Miami. We will obviously have time to waste and will be in no hurry to get off the ship.

I see a lot of posts from people who are in a hurry to leave the ship and catch a flight, but I don't see many from people who have time to kill.

It seems like I've seen that debarkation is done by zones. If our zone is called and we don't want to leave, can we leave with the next zone?

Are we better off doing self assist luggage or checking it at the door the night before? We don't mind carrying our bags. We pack light and have 2 strong teenage boys to do the carrying.

What is the latest we will be allowed to stay in our room? Can we go to breakfast and then come back to the room to pack?

I understand the hurry for the staff and the turn around time for the next cruise. What is the absolute latest we can stay on the ship? When we decide to leave, can we just proceed to the exits or is there a protocol we have to follow?[/quote]

I really prefer checking it the night before...you'll have plenty to carry between purse, overnight bag and anything else you don't want in your luggage. Also, if you will flag down a porter when you go to retrieve your luggage, you go thru customs much faster.

They do want you out of the rooms by 8ish, so I generally take everything with us to breakfast, and then we just hang out on deck until our zone is called. I can't imagine there being a problem if you went with a later zone. I'm sure people either don't hear it, or otherwise get delayed, all the time.

Even if you do self-assist, I don't recommend packing the morning you're leaving the ship. They really want you out of your cabin by 8:00 AM and definitely no later than 8:30. You can go to breakfast and then come back and get your bags and go to a public area for awhile, but by 9:30 they'll really want you off the ship. All the people who have been so nice to you all week really want to see you leave so they can prepare for the next group.

Since your flight is so late, a day room at a hotel may be the best option...it will give you someplace "to be" while you're waiting, with TV, pool, restaurants and bathrooms!

They will have the ship emptied by 10am in most cases...earlier if they can! That's a LONG time to wait around, killing time!

If you can change to an earlier flight, do it.

Heck, for that matter you apparently can leave even before your zone is called. By the end they are calling about 5 zones at a time because they know most of those people are already off the ship.

True, although if you leave well before your zone is called, you'll beat your luggage to the terminal and be standing around waiting for it to show up. Personally, I'd rather sit in a comfy chair on Lido instead of a crowded, cranky baggage claim area. :)

Obviously, if you're in Miami all day, you'll have a rental car (or should really get one, because once you go through security at the Miami airport, if I remember right, there isn't a lot to do there).

You'll probably need to be off the ship by 10 a.m. Fortunately, there are a lot of options of what to do in the Miami area--many, many different beaches, the aquarium, monkey island, the everglades. Drive down to Key Largo. Just drive around in the country side and see what there is around Miami. Well, just do the research, you'll find something that will pique your interest or fit in with what you'd like to see.

I would also consider the Miami excursions offered by Carnival (includes transport to airport)

The everglades airboat ride is a lot of fun. They put your luggage on the bus, you go out to everglades, ride airboat, see gators etc

it drops you off at airport. You could hang out there and have dinner

We rented a car and went to the Dolphin Mall since we have nothing like it near our home. The atmosphere was very Latin, and there was no shortage of good style among the people and merchandise. The food was also good for a mall. Enjoy.

You will have to be at the airport by 6:00 for a 7:30 flight. We took the Carnival airboat tour on our first cruise and if I remember correctly, they had you at the airport around 3. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Sheraton across from the Bayside Marketplace will hold luggage and then you could just spend time at the Marketplace until you have to get to the airport. I would think there would be enough there to keep you busy and if you get a chance, eat at Bubba Gumps, its good and the atmosphere is great! Check it out http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Archived