I'd like some opinions about upgrades we got!

pat767

Hi everyone,

After having cruised almost exclusively on NCL in the past, we decided to give HAL a shot.

Early September, we booked a VH guarantee (GTY) on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 14-night West/East Caribbean back-to-back.

Just last week, our VH GTY dropped $150. Final payment was due and paid on Sept. 25th, so we were now within the "penalty period".

I said myself; Heck! Why don't I call and see what can be done about the price drop. This has never been a problem on NCL they would give us on board credits when price drops occurred, let's see what HAL can do!

So I phoned in and was told that this was a special promotion and was for initial bookings only but she would speak to her supervisor and see what could be done. I was definitely expecting a refund or an OBC, but in the end, I was offered a "free" upgrade to VB (also a guarantee GTY). I accepted, since it's better than nothing. However, I noticed that the VB was actually also on sale... $50 cheaper than what I had paid for the VH.

Anyhow, I got word this morning that the VB has dropped again, this time another $50, making it available for $100 less than what I paid for the VH. Note that the VH also dropped another $50, making them $200 cheaper than what we paid.

I called in again today. Spoke to a nice fellow (who checked again with a supervisor) and I was offered a "free" upgrade to VA.

Now, these VA (at current catalog price) are going for $850 more than what we paid for, for our VH.

Good news is that this was not a guarantee VA; he actually took the time and searched for decent VAs still available. He said he knew something about certain VAs that were slightly larger than other VAs and we ended up with an aft-facing balcony on Deck 8 (navigator).

Now, I find this to be a good deal; however, I've heard many times about VH guarantees being upgraded to VA for free, at the time the cabin finally gets assigned.

What do you all think?

On a side note, the agent also told me to look out for an email, roughly one week before departure, because we might get upgraded again. To be honest, unless they upgrade us to a suite, there is only one more upgrade available in the Verandah category and that is to a V or maybe a VQ (spa). This might not even be desirable, because I think our stateroom is great.

Again, what's your 2-cents on all this?

July 2010 - Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) : Bahamas 3-day - Inside GTY upgraded to Porthole Oceanview

October 2010 - Norwegian Dawn : Southern Caribbean 9-day - (BA)

July 2011 - Norwegian Sky : Bahamas 3-day ()

December 2011 - Norwegian Dawn : Southern Caribbean 11-day - (OX) Oceanview GTY

Another thought... The VA I just obtained, actually costs $310 MORE than an SZ guarantee GTY!

What do you think of that?

July 2010 - Monarch of the Seas (RCCL) : Bahamas 3-day - Inside GTY upgraded to Porthole Oceanview

Another thought... The VA I just obtained, actually costs $310 MORE than an SZ guarantee GTY!

What do you think of that?

I think you need to get on that phone ASAP!:eek:

Why is that? Would an SZ really be much better than an aft-facing VA?

What is important, IMO, is not what we think but what you think.

If you are happy, it is great.

If you are not pleased, it isn't great.

Only you know how happy you are.

Perhaps you could call and ask them to mark you reservation no upgrade so you don't have to worry about being moved to a cabin you may not find desireable.

JMO...

I guess we're happy...

Good points:

- Can finally get to try out an aft-facing balcony.

- We also get a nice view, being up on deck 8.

However, worried about:

- noise caused by pool deck in our VA;

- not really sure about the advantages of being in a suite;

- not jumping on the opportunity of trying out a suite (should I be able to obtain it) and regretting it later;

- getting a suite and ending up mid-ship on level 5 (SZ) = bigger cabin but with an "ordinary balcony view" vs current location.

This is why I wanted some ideas and opinions.

Thanks.

you might have gotten our aft cabin! We gave it up for an SZ guarantee...we had 8134 or 8136 (i think)...know it was aft on deck 8.

still waiting for our assignment.

Nope, your cabins are located aft (rear part of the ship), roughly 10 cabins from the end.

Our party got 8173 & 8175. They're aft-facing (looking straight out in the distance in the wake that the ship leaves behind).

Did you book with a TA or HAL? I booked with an on-line TA, should I call them or should I call HAL direct? Do you have someone who I could ask for?:)

Booked straight off the HAL website, so I called the reservations number directly.

Thing is, I was told to watch my email approximately one week prior to departure, in case of upgrades.

However, I believe that we're happy with this VA and unless there are major perks when upgrading to a suite, I'll say we'll stick to our current cabin.

We're not experienced with HAL, so we don't know about the different staterooms and their particular perks. For example, on NCL, the suites come with a concierge/butler.

Let's say I do receive that upgrade email in early December and let's assume they offer only upgrade to V or VQ (spa). My current location doesn't make the switch worth it. But what if I were to be offered a wrap-around suite? Or something on deck 10? Maybe it's worth it. But if they offer me a deck 5 SZ, I'd decline the upgrade.

Another question comes mind. "Watch your email one week prior..." Would this mean that HAL automatically would assign us an upgrade or would they be checking with us prior?

However, I believe that we're happy with this VA and unless there are major perks when upgrading to a suite, I'll say we'll stick to our current cabin.

We're not experienced with HAL, so we don't know about the different staterooms and their particular perks.

HAL tosses the term "suite" around a little too loosely, imo. Be careful what you are talking about when you consider if you would want an upgrade to a "suite". There are the "semi-suite" (for want of a better term) categories of SZ, SY, SS, and the "full suite" categories of SC, SB, SA, and of course the penthouse.

You are in a veranda cabin class right now. It is unlikely that you would be upgraded to the full suite class, and that's the class with the better perks. Neptune Lounge, breakfast in the Pinnacle, and a variety of other perks are included with a full suite. The "semi-suite" class has a telephone concierge, but not much else additional.

If you were to be upgraded out of the veranda class, then it's a SZ, SY, SS cabin you would likely end up in.

... and how do these compare to our current cabin?

Sorry to say, I have never stayed in these cabins; I'm a cave dweller.

However, I have visited in both V-class cabins, and those I am calling "semi-suite". The SZ/SY/SS series of cabins are about 1 1/2 times as large as the veranda cabins. They feel spacious. People can gather, and walk around without tripping over each other.

The balcony is seriously larger, as it holds a full-size table, with dining chairs, as well as comfy chairs w/ottomans.

I believe the "semi-suite" has a separate shower, as well as the tub w/shower combo.

Sorry to say, I have never stayed in these cabins; I'm a cave dweller.

However, I have visited in both V-class cabins, and those I am calling "semi-suite". The SZ/SY/SS series of cabins are about 1 1/2 times as large as the veranda cabins. They feel spacious. People can gather, and walk around without tripping over each other.

The balcony is seriously larger, as it holds a full-size table, with dining chairs, as well as comfy chairs w/ottomans.

I believe the "semi-suite" has a separate shower, as well as the tub w/shower combo.

Correct on all counts:).

• 1 month later...

Archived