Progreso Merida Mexico

jcool

I am thinking about taking a cruise that goes to Progreso Merida Mexico does anyone have pictures of the beaches their or can someone tell me about the beaches their I been to Costa Maya I find Costa Maya have nice beaches. Or would you speed a week in St. Thomas or a week in Puerto Rico. I love Puerto Rico.

I can post some pics I have of Progreso from about 4 years ago when I get time tonight.

Before I booked the cruise I have coming up, I talked to the wife about spending a week in St. Thomas with the kids, we were there for our honeymoon. We tossed around the idea of going to some different islands, too, but ended up taking the cruise from Puerto Rico without the kids....she always gets her way.

It is a personal thing, to be honest, as to whether or not you should spend a week or cruise. Spending the week can be more expensive than cruising, but of course, you are in 1 spot for a week and less go go go.

Either way, you will have a good time, I am sure.

I loved Progreso....but in all fairness...the beaches are nothing to write home about. This was for me not a beach port...it was more of a walking tour and I did get a masage on the beach - very cheap! Progreso is small, but there are tours to the outer areas including to Merida...

Enjoy your cruise.

Our first stop on our first cruise was at Progreso. We had no idea what we were doing. lol

We ended up walking around town, looking for something to eat. We were in an area not frequented by cruise passengers...pretty sure we stuck out like a sore thumb.

Didn't even know there was a beach. :)

OK, I will offer a different perspective. We love Progresso. It is a quaint area that is truely Mexico, much like Cozumel used to be twenty years ago. While the beaches are not as nice as Cozumel, Cancun or the Riviera Maya, it is certainly much better than Galveston (and this is not a slight on Galveston). I will see what pictures we have that I can upload. Op, go for it and enjoy your cruise and let us know your thoughts when you return.

I had a group of 7 of us go to Progresso and we loved it. Gathered shells on the beach, had a great $10 pp massage (all of us got one). Everyone got henna tattoo's. Vendors are pushy but with a simple no thank you, they move down the beach.

Progresso is not really a "beach" port. Take advantage of the cultural advantages the port has to offer. A tour of Merida, the Yucatan capital city, or the best option, chitzen Itza, the ruins of the once myan capital. AN amazing archialogical site.

We've been here several times. Merida is well worth the tour. Autoprogreso tours are available at the port and are reasonable.

In Progreso, take the double decker bus tour. Be prepared to duck if you are tall. Prices here are very reasonable for both food and drink with a lot of quaint shops and bars. If you speak Spanish, venture out away from the main cruise area. True Mexico.

Not the best beach as far as water and sand appearance, but you can get waited on hand and foot right at the beach and they will serve food and drink while you set in the sand. Plenty of tables and chairs available.

Plenty of vendors too, just say no thankls and they will move along.

If you are looking for nice beaches I would choose ST. THomas or P.R. Have not been to P.R. but you will be really satisfied with the ST. Thomas beaches. Progresso isnt a beach stop as said above. DW and I went to the Myan ruiens the time we were there. Its an amazing place.

When I was there, a hurricane had left the area 2 days before, so I thought the water was murky from being churned up. I was on the beach for our $10 massage. It was a good massage, not because it was 10 bucks, but the women really worked us over. Best deal you can get in any port that I have ever been to. Of course, that will probably change soon, I know it went to $15 recently, so I guess in 10 years, they will be in the $50 range and it will be more like all the other ports.

I went into the mercado(market) and got a few glasses of horchata. My wife, step-brother and SIL were freaking out the whole time we were in there because it was after the swine flu started and this wasn't the cleanest place you would think of when you hear "market". True Mexico.

We love Progresso and would pick it over St. Thomas any day. The water is no where near the color or murkiness that Galveston's water is...at least not when we were there. The beach was clean. Loved the bars, shopping and sitting at the beach. It is actually one of my favorite ports. Just wish that Carnival took longer cruises when going to this port.

Progresso is definately a trip back to old school Mexico. The town is very quaint and interesting. The beach is not fantastic, looks like your typical Texas beach, but just browing the shops and beach front activities was entertaining. We had some great ceviche at a place on the water front, a few drinks, shopped for a while, then took the bus back to the ship.

It is definately not as sexy as The Virgin Islands, but it has its appeal.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. This is not a port for me I always love going to beaches even when I say I am not going to the beach I find my self on the beach.

Cruisetobeaches Yes I do speak Spanish my family is from Puerto Rico. Bruisin4cruis Thank you for telling me about cruising being cheaper. That gives me more to think about.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. This is not a port for me I always love going to beaches even when I say I am not going to the beach I find my self on the beach.

Cruisetobeaches Yes I do speak Spanish my family is from Puerto Rico. Bruisin4cruis Thank you for telling me about cruising being cheaper. That gives me more to think about.

Good choice! The beaches on St. Thomas or PR are much nicer.

Archived