Flight Home

ttjtmomma

All ships arriving in Vancouver during the Alaska cruise season are tied up by 0600 with self-disembarkers leaving the ship as early as 0645. With that you will be thru Canadian customs and on the curb before 0800 with YVR being 35 mins from Canada Place. With this scenario you will be at YVR by 0830 and if returning to the US you need to be there a full 2 hrs before flight time in order to clear US customs and and security therefore a flight between 1030 and 1100 is doable.

If you disembark in the normal fashion, but with an early fight time you will be off the ship by 0800 and have your luggage and be thru customs by 0900. Under this scenario a flight between 1130 and 1200 is very doable.

If returning to a city in Canada then you can shave a full hour off the the above times. If flying outside of North America check with your airline but in most cases it is 3 hrs before flight time.

From Canada Place you have the option of taking a cab out to YVR for about $35 or you an walk the 3 blocks over to Waterfront Station and take the Canada Line for the princely price of $3.75 (CDN funds only) however the TVMs do take Visa, MC and many US ATM cards. In either case the elapsed time will be 35 mins.

If you are flying back to the USA I would look for a flight at around Noon or later.

My preference is 1:00 PM only because I don't care for stress but Noon works.

Like all airports it is unpredictable in terms of lines at check in and lines getting through United States Immigrations and Customs and Security.

Keith

All ships arriving in Vancouver during the Alaska cruise season are tied up by 0600 with self-disembarkers leaving the ship as early as 0645. With that you will be thru Canadian customs and on the curb before 0800 with YVR being 35 mins from Canada Place. With this scenario you will be at YVR by 0830 and if returning to the US you need to be there a full 2 hrs before flight time in order to clear US customs and and security therefore a flight between 1030 and 1100 is doable.

If you disembark in the normal fashion, but with an early fight time you will be off the ship by 0800 and have your luggage and be thru customs by 0900. Under this scenario a flight between 1130 and 1200 is very doable.

If returning to a city in Canada then you can shave a full hour off the the above times. If flying outside of North America check with your airline but in most cases it is 3 hrs before flight time.

From Canada Place you have the option of taking a cab out to YVR for about $35 or you an walk the 3 blocks over to Waterfront Station and take the Canada Line for the princely price of $3.75 (CDN funds only) however the TVMs do take Visa, MC and many US ATM cards. In either case the elapsed time will be 35 mins.

Most cruise ships that I have seen arrive after 7:00 so that not to pay overtime to the longshoreman. The earliest I've got off a cruise ship was about 8:00 doing self disembarkation.

Most cruise ships that I have seen arrive after 7:00 so that not to pay overtime to the longshoreman. The earliest I've got off a cruise ship was about 8:00 doing self disembarkation.

Last summer I self disembarked at Canada Place and was off the ship shortky after 7am. Using the train to the airport I was there before 8.30am. YMMV.

The longshoremen get paid the same wage to tie a ship up at 0600 as 0700. I note that you appear to have made one Alaska cruise and live some 4 hours east of Vancouver.

The logistics I have provided are correct.

The longshoremen get paid the same wage to tie a ship up at 0600 as 0700. I note that you appear to have made one Alaska cruise and live some 4 hours east of Vancouver.

The logistics I have provided are correct.

Yes I live four hours from Vancouver , I grew up in Marpole area of Vancouver . I knew some longshoreman when I was a young adult . They told me that by contract cruise ships can't send any lines ashore until 7am. If they do ,they end up pay a horrendous overtime bill to the port . I understand that the line handlers (longshoreman) start work at 4AM . The ship gets charge for the time from 4AM to 7AM as overtime.

Not long ago I was reading a blog by a HAL captain(2012) and he also mentioned this overtime charge for line handling before 7AM. I have taken two Alaska cruises.

I often fly in and out on Vancouver BC on business and dread departing on cruise ship days.

The length of the lines and the pace of it all do vary. Cruise ship passengers often have amazing amounts of luggage. As I do carry on only, there is a place in the process where they will let the carryon only folks move up a bit.

To make things go faster have a pen! You will have paperwork to fill out.

You will clear US Customs and Immigration in the Vancouver airport so will be free to arrive at your US airport with no more lines to stand in. Very efficient.

Once through the lines, there is shopping (especially bookstores), food and areas to sit while waiting for your flight's departure. Very nice facilities. My last chance for coffee and TimBits!

I prefer to be early and to be waiting in the gate area than to be nervous in the lines, but that's just the way I am. I work hard to avoid travel stress.

• 1 month later...
Last summer I self disembarked at Canada Place and was off the ship shortky after 7am. Using the train to the airport I was there before 8.30am. YMMV.

When you disembarked in Vancouver- where was the train that you talked about taking to the airport. US dollars or no? How do you get to the train station from the cruise terminal? Thanks so much

The train is the Canada Line which departs from Waterfront Station which is a red brick building you will see to the left as you leave Canada Place. It is about a 3 block walk. The fare will increase to $4.00 pp in January and it must be paid in $CDN, however the ticket machines will accept US credit cards and most US ATM cards. Here is a link that will give you an idea of the relationship between Canada Place and Waterfront Station.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/schedules_and_maps/stn_exch/waterfront.ashx

The train is the Canada Line which departs from Waterfront Station which is a red brick building you will see to the left as you leave Canada Place. It is about a 3 block walk. The fare will increase to $4.00 pp in January and it must be paid in $CDN, however the ticket machines will accept US credit cards and most US ATM cards. Here is a link that will give you an idea of the relationship between Canada Place and Waterfront Station.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/schedules_and_maps/stn_exch/waterfront.ashx

Thank you so much for this very helpful info!

Archived