Best beach with snorkeling

Dave Mck

Just booked a POA cruise for early November. Doing a lot of research and the more I do the more confused I get. I'm looking for the best beach to go to to do some snorkeling. We're a party of 10 and not everyone wants to snorkel. So I'm looking for the best place to go that some would be able to enjoy the beach while others snorkel. Jet ski rental would be nice also.

Just booked a POA cruise for early November. Doing a lot of research and the more I do the more confused I get. I'm looking for the best beach to go to to do some snorkeling. We're a party of 10 and not everyone wants to snorkel. So I'm looking for the best place to go that some would be able to enjoy the beach while others snorkel. Jet ski rental would be nice also.

I still wouldn't haul all 10 people around together, unless you have 8 children and two adults? Split up then you would have better options for those who wish to enjoy some excellent snorkeling, which "beach" and "snorkel" don't always go together. :) Snorkeling can at times be fit in around other touring priorities, depending on plans? What are yours? Will you have cars?

For those who may want top notch snorkeling, consider to the crator/turtle town out of Maui or Cpt. Cook out of Kona. Both need boat tours with cruise ship port stops.

There is already a thread going down below on this topic, look for

Best Snorkelling in Hawaiian Islands in the header.

I saw that but It's mostly about snorkeling locations only, not beach and snorkeling.

Ulua Beach on Maui has a nice combination of snorkeling and a good beach.

Thanks that's what I'm looking for.

I used to live on Maui.

If you want both beach(w/ public amenities) and good snorkeling for a larger crowd I would recommend Kaanapali beach/Black Rock.

The best snorkeling on the island in my honest opinion is Ahihi Cove(S. of Makena), though parking is sparse and there is no real beach or amenities there. The snorkeling however is very good w/ plenty of live coral and wildlife to view.

I saw that but It's mostly about snorkeling locations only, not beach and snorkeling.

Thanks that's what I'm looking for.

Ulua beach is in Wailea near the Wailea Beach Mariott resort. It's right next to Mokapu beach.

I used to live on Maui.

If you want both beach(w/ public amenities) and good snorkeling for a larger crowd I would recommend Kaanapali beach/Black Rock.

The best snorkeling on the island in my honest opinion is Ahihi Cove(S. of Makena), though parking is sparse and there is no real beach or amenities there. The snorkeling however is very good w/ plenty of live coral and wildlife to view.

SHHHHHHHHH! Don't give away all the sects ;)

There was one spot S of Makena that I use to love going to for snorkeling. Don't know the name. It was a small spot, rocky, no facilities. It was at the bottom of a dip on that road. Always non-crowded. Well, a few years later, I went back, hoping to get more snorkeling in - what a difference!!! Cars lined the road up the hill, and there were tons of people there. I wonder if this is the same spot...

No one has mentioned Mile Marker 14 yet...

SHHHHHHHHH! Don't give away all the sects ;)

There was one spot S of Makena that I use to love going to for snorkeling. Don't know the name. It was a small spot, rocky, no facilities. It was at the bottom of a dip on that road. Always non-crowded. Well, a few years later, I went back, hoping to get more snorkeling in - what a difference!!! Cars lined the road up the hill, and there were tons of people there. I wonder if this is the same spot...

No one has mentioned Mile Marker 14 yet...

I will admit I had mixed feelings about mentionining Ulua - it was very uncrowded and some local folks actually asked us how we knew about it.

Ka'anapali Beach has jet skis & also good snorkeling at Black Rock by the Sheraton. It's still allowed in early November but prohibited during the whale season.

Between December 15 and May 15 of each year, no person shall operate a thrill craft, or engage in parasailing, water sledding, or commercial high speed boating, or operate a motor vessel towing a person engaged in water sledding or parasailing on the west and south shore of Maui (HRS section 200-38, HAR 13-256-112).

while im definitely not an expert, we had a great time snorkeling from the beach in Kona, wish i was there right now :)

I would like to know if anyone has been to kalama beach and village with roberts excursion . Thanks

If you're talking about Kalama beach in Kihei there are much better beaches in Maui & Kalama Village is a shopping area with many very small shops with a nice selection of souvenirs. I wouldn't go there at night when there are some seedy characters & drug sales.

One place to consider. In Kailua-Kona, as soon as you get off the tender, walk a few hundred yards to the left of the King Kam hotel. There is a small beach. I did shore scuba diving there (with Jack's Diving Locker, a great scuba outfit). You can also snorkel there.

The diving/snorkeling is at a reef that when you swim out, just keep to the right of the floats/ropes. That reef is actually better than at the Red Hill where my wife and I went snorkeling with BodyGlove earlier in the day, during our port stop there.

So it's free snorkeling. It has a small beach. You're right in the town of Kailua-Kona where you can stroll around for shopping and eating. Then you can get back to the tender right there. Very convenient.

at night when there are some seedy characters & drug sales.

Is there a tour for that? Some might just like to go.:eek:

Yes, I think it's called the LOLO tour! :p

No need for that tour in Kailua-Kona. Just take an evening walk along the seawall or down past the Kona Inn. I always see the independent businessmen there, asking me if I'd like to sample their wares ;)

Do you know how long of a drive that is from Lahaina?

Without any traffic delays it takes about an hour to drive from Lahaina to Ulua. Recent renovation of the old Renaissance Hotel has added more free public parking but the lot can still fill up quickly. There is more free parking further south between the Grand Wailea & Four Seasons but it's about a 10-15 minute walk to Ulua. Mile Marker 14 just south of Olawalu & about 10 minutes south of Lahaina can be good but wouldn't suggest it at low tide when we had to snorkel around the reef instead of over it.

Without any traffic delays it takes about an hour to drive from Lahaina to Ulua. Recent renovation of the old Renaissance Hotel has added more free public parking but the lot can still fill up quickly. There is more free parking further south between the Grand Wailea & Four Seasons but it's about a 10-15 minute walk to Ulua. Mile Marker 14 just south of Olawalu & about 10 minutes south of Lahaina can be good but wouldn't suggest it at low tide when we had to snorkel around the reef instead of over it.

We also love Ulua. If you don't mind paying $25 you can park at the Marriott for the day and it will be a short walk to the right of the resort. Was there just last week.

We also love Ulua. If you don't mind paying $25 you can park at the Marriott for the day and it will be a short walk to the right of the resort. Was there just last week.

Thank you. I was originally thinking of Black Rock and Ka'anapali Beach for our second day in Maui, but I like the idea of less crowds and shade available. It may be worth the drive if we are able to get going early enough. We will be tendering into Lahaina from the Rhapsody.

Thank you. I was originally thinking of Black Rock and Ka'anapali Beach for our second day in Maui, but I like the idea of less crowds and shade available. It may be worth the drive if we are able to get going early enough. We will be tendering into Lahaina from the Rhapsody.

Ulua is a bay & more protected than Black Rock's lava point but it all depends on the conditions at any snorkeling spot. We go there daily from Kihei & enjoy the great paved walkway in front of the Wailea hotels to do some cardio exercise.

Do you know of a website we could check to see the conditions from day to day?

They can change during the day, so, really not practical to even consider. Also allow plenty of time to drive back from Ulua. We stopped there this year, along with a few other sites in this area. Easy to loose track of time, but I had a week on Maui, limited on a day visit.

I've found Glen James weather forecast for all islands to be very good:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/

And definitely leave enough time to comfirtably return to the ship. The Hawaiian music station KPOA 93.5 will mention any major traffic problems which is a reason I caution those who leave the West Maui area.

There's only one 2-lane road which can be closed for hours if there's an accident or brushfire. The only other road is more for local traffic around the north end of Maui through Kahakuloa which would take about 2 hours from Wailea if they're allowing through traffic. While this doesn't happen too often it's a possibility & results in all those in West Maui missing flights or could also mean missing the ship.

Enjoy the beauty of the Valley Isles but I like to share this possibility for those touring independently when leaving the West Maui area.

Sunny AZ Girl:

If you are planning on snorkeling from the beach one thing I didn't see mentioned here is that it is almost always better in the morning as the waves pick up in the afternoon at Ulua. We have been there about ten times and this has been true each of those days.

Archived