Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships

Allis154

What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?

• Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
    • Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
    • Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry.
    • NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

[quote name='boogs']I get it. You want Celebrity to modify their ships so you can do your own laundry instead of paying to have it done. You have made yourself perfectly clear on this matter, and you are claiming that there will be a minimal financial cost to the Cruise Line to do so.
[/quote]

That is exactly what we want,:) instead of having our laundry ruined by hot water. Other cruise lines can do it, so why not Celebrity?

[quote name='boogs']I get it. You want Celebrity to modify their ships so you can do your own laundry instead of paying to have it done. You have made yourself perfectly clear on this matter, and you are claiming that there will be a minimal financial cost to the Cruise Line to do so.

But, how can you ignore the fact that to add a self service laundry area on each deck, at least six staterooms would be eliminated. Consider that each of those staterooms probably earn $50 per day per person (and that is conservative), we're looking at $600 lost revenue per day. Add to that the lost revenue from the missing occupants of those six rooms not spending money on drinks, specialty restaurants, spa services, photos, excursions, and you could easily double that lost revenue to at least $1000 or more. And, on top of all of that, the lost revenue for laundry services from all the people who would now do their own laundry instead of sending it out. It isn't unreasonable to expect the cruise line to lose out at least $1500 per day, or calculated for an entire year, almost $550,000 per ship - or $5,500,000 over the entire fleet! And that doesn't take into account the cost of supplying water to those machines, the maintenance costs to keep them running, the cost of treating the waste water which can't be dumped into the ocean, and the cost to keep the area clean.

How can you claim with a straight face that adding a laundry option stands out as relatively low cost. :confused::confused::confused:[/quote]

I know you directed this at RichStowe but I read your post just shaking my head.

There is absolutely no facts to your statements. I could make up my own comparison and say the following:
Not all cruises have 100% occupancy, so for a start, there would not be a full revenue loss of the cabin space.
Secondly, even if they were occupied, there are costs associated with having someone on board which may well equal the extra they may spend (for example the cruiseline will have less food to provide (fact) but they would perhaps lose out on drinks purchased.)
If the cruiseline charged $10 for someone to do their own laundry, I would be more than happy to pay this. It would mean that I would not have to have my clothes ruined by their on board laundry. So perhaps they would actually make some money rather than lose.
The initial layout of the room would be far cheaper (laying out a laundry as opposed to furnishing a cabin).
YOur last point is irrelevant as there would still be water and electricity costs in a cabin - as well as water and electricity costs for the ship if they were to do the laundry. Ditto for "treating waste water and dumping in the ocean" .

Why I even responded to such nonsense I don't actually know.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I personally (and others on this thread) will certainly look to other cruiselines who DO have ss laundries. And for my next cruise, I have already narrowed down Princess as my first option. (This has to do with itinerary first and foremost but also having the ss laundry is a sweetner). So X may also LOSE money by not having ss laundries.

I'm surprised noone on this thread brought up the fact that when you send a few pieces of your laundry out, it will be laundered with other clothes, and the reason it has to be laundered at high temps is to kill all the staph, MRSA, eColi, and other germs which other people may have on their clothing. That kind of freaks me out, as I worked in a hospital and I know that not everyone uses good hygiene practices.

I remember one lady on another roll call board explaining how she brings along two 25lb strength magnets with hooks, and then strings up a line between her two metallic cabin walls, and dries her laundry in her cabin.
I can only imagine how this would take forever to dry, and possibly damage the cabin with water drips.

I agree that leaving laundry [B]unattended[/B] hanging on a balcony could pose a risk from dropped cigarette butts. I see nothing wrong with giving it a little head start in the drying process [B]while at sea[/B], and while one is in the cabin keeping an eye on it. When leaving the cabin, I always bring mine in and finish the drying in the bathroom.

Our next Celebrity cruise will be a 14 day, but since we can drive to the port, I will be able to pack enough clothes for the entire trip. When I plan the Europe trip for 2014, I will only consider a ship with a laundromat, as we want to pack very lightly for all that travel.

I am amused by how much discussion this thread has produced, including my own comments. We are all entitled to our opinions, and to each his own.

[quote name='AcadiaL'][COLOR=red][B]I'm surprised noone on this thread brought up the fact that when you send a few pieces of your laundry out, it will be laundered with other clothes, and the reason it has to be laundered at high temps is to kill all the staph, MRSA, eColi, and other germs which other people may have on their clothing. That kind of freaks me out, as I worked in a hospital and I know that not everyone uses good hygiene practices. [/B][/COLOR]

Thanks, AcadiaL! You are the only one who addressed the real reason that self-service laudries are needed. I have no to desire to have my clothes or underwear washed with who knows what else! Therefore, hand laundering if I should find myself crusiing with Celbrity. Even if it were offered to me free, no thank you. I'll keep my germs away from other people's germs. ;)

I have no problem with paying for laundry to be done if the cruise line could return them to me in approximately the same size measurements as what I sent out. Cotton T shirts and slacks?. Forget it! Unwearable after the ships laundry has shrunk them two sizes.

I'm afraid the 'other people's germs' argument is not very good. If you are worried that other people's germs are going to get on your clothes when washed together, I hate to point out that using a common washer will expose you to them anyway. Germs are everywhere and even though many will get flushed out with the water and the rense, the washtub will hold lot of those babies just sitting in there waiting for your load.

We are covered with germs and there are a huge number inside of us. In fact there are more of 'them' then of our own cells on and in us....just a thought to keep all our germophobes up all night.

Den

[quote name='Denny01']...just a thought to keep all our germophobes up all night.

Den[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1511767.gif[/IMG]

[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Funny![/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Ma Bell']It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that on the ship, you only launder things that don't shrink and send the rest for dry cleaning. If you put your nice clothing in the "laundry" bag, it's no wonder they come back shrunk.[/quote]

If that's the quality of the service that Celebrity is providing then that is shameful. At a price of $4.95, I would expect jeans to come back unshuink. That was not the case.

I agree that no-one should send expensive silks etc to the ship's laundry, but T-shirts and jeans should NOT come back shrunk.

[quote name='Ma Bell']Do you wash your jeans in hot water and put them in the dryer? I don't know anyone who does that. Dry cleaning is $1 more than washing.[/QUOTE]

Ma Bell:
Logic and reasoning means nothing on this thread. We have two posters who are determined to start a movement to get Celebrity to drydock and redesign the fleet. You can be sure that at least one of the two will try to refute whatever anyone says. Seems that they just want to keep this going. I'm no longer amused by the contents of this thread and this will be my final comment.

[quote name='Orator']Ma Bell:
Logic and reasoning means nothing on this thread. We have two posters who are determined to start a movement to get Celebrity to drydock and redesign the fleet. You can be sure that at least one of the two will try to refute whatever anyone says. Seems that they just want to keep this going. I'm no longer amused by the contents of this thread and this will be my final comment.[/quote]

By logic and reasoning do you mean getting [B]your [/B]own way, we who want self service laundry facilities are perfectly within our right to say so, the same as you are perfectly within your right to oppose it.

Nobody is abusing your comments and it seems your constant opposition to this thread is what is keeping it going. I find this thread to be a serious discussion, I am sorry you are not amused, maybe you can look to another thread for amusement.

[quote name='Ma Bell']It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that on the ship, you only launder things that don't shrink and send the rest for dry cleaning. If you put your nice clothing in the "laundry" bag, it's no wonder they come back shrunk.[/quote]

When you pay top dollar for a service, you expect a get a service.:)

[quote name='Aussie Claire']Dry Cleaning and hand washing is the only option for laundering on a ship.[/quote]

We've spent about 500 days on Celebrity ships and have used both laundry and dry cleaning. Anyone who knows how to do laundry knows which clothing goes in which bag.

The only question is whether someone knows how to pack, which clothing to launder, which clothing to dry clean and whether they're smart enough to figure out that it doesn't cost much to let someone else do the laundry or bring enough clothing so you don't have to. It's just part of the cost of the cruise and not that much more than wasting time doing laundry.

If it's a deal breaker, there are other cruiselines where you can do laundry to your heart's content. Celebrity isn't one of them and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.

[quote name='Ma Bell']Do you wash your jeans in hot water and put them in the dryer? I don't know anyone who does that. Dry cleaning is $1 more than washing.[/quote]

I never said I wash my jeans in hot water! I said they came back shrunk. Another poster said it is because the SHIP's laundry uses hot water. I handed over the jeans in good faith and they were returned shrunk.

And as for stipulating dry cleaning, I never do that with my jeans at home so why must I do it on the ship? On a line the calibre of Celebrity you expect that your clothing WILL NOT be washed in hot water. As you yourself posted - "I don't know anyone who does that".

[quote name='Ma Bell']I agree....it does seem that some people need some lessons on how to do laundry. Maybe that's why they have problems.[/quote]

That's precisely why we'd like to be able to do it ourselves and not have the ship's laundry use hot water and ruin it.

[quote name='Orator']Ma Bell:
Logic and reasoning means nothing on this thread. We have two posters who are determined to start a movement to get Celebrity to drydock and redesign the fleet. You can be sure that at least one of the two will try to refute whatever anyone says. Seems that they just want to keep this going. I'm no longer amused by the contents of this thread and this will be my final comment.[/quote]

If you cared to go back and look through the posts you'd see numerous members who have voiced their reasons for wanting self service laundries.

If you cared to actually read through the posts, you'd also find that not ONE person in favour of self service laundries has demanded Celebrity to "drydock and redesign the fleet".

This poll (as you know because you have been one of those who have kept it and other threads going) emerged because Mr Bayley said there are no current plans for ss laundries but that they monitor IN FUTURE. It has NOTHING to do with drydocking and refitting.

So you agree, do not send your nice clothing to the Celebrity laundry.

Ma Bell, if we can't send our "nice" clothing to the laundry and they are not suitable for dry cleaning, what do you suggest we do with them, besides hand washing?

I am only allowed one suitcase by the airline when I travel and I will not waste money on excess baggage, plus one suitcase and one carryon is enough to carry through airports etc. Remember we fly half way around the world to cruise with Celebrity, plus we normally add on pre and post days to the cruise totalling almost a month travelling.

SS Laundry facilities make sense.

Archived