Question on CA Coastal and when to go?

love2cruisegal

I had a great time in May, but I am sure fall would be great, too.

So much to see and do!

Bon voyage!

PS - whale watching in May from/near Santa Barbara was fantastic!

Sailing under the Golden Gate was clear and beautiful and awesome in May. The Orcas near Victoria also put on a good show!

Bon voyage!

Both months can have similar weather however in October you may have some hot days which you wouldn't have in May. Like June Gloom the weathercasters have a term of May Gray which describes the California coastal weather. In October it can vary greatly & a recent example is temperatures at the beach well into the 90s & in a couple of days only in the 60s with fog.

We've taken our CA Coastal cruises in May & had tendering into Santa Barbara delayed due to thick fog & the next time it was sunny & warm. If weather was our primary concern then October would be our choice. Although as I recall it may be be more popular & seem to recall more expensive when we planned our CA Coastal cruises.

We are interested in doing a CA Coastal cruise possibly in 2013 or 2014. Not sure when would be the best time to go - Spring or Fall? How are the seas and weather?

Thanks for any advice for those of you who have sailed.

Ask me in about 10 days. (ok, that was rude) He, he....

Only experience I have was this past May on the Wine Country cruise from LA to Vancouver. Calm seas, lovely weather, great cruise!

We're thinking about the wine one for May 2014. Were you able to see any land while at sea? sort of like on an Alaska cruise where often you can see land. Would you know if fog is a problem on these cruises? Thanks

We're thinking about the wine one for May 2014. Were you able to see any land while at sea? sort of like on an Alaska cruise where often you can see land. Would you know if fog is a problem on these cruises? Thanks

I have posted this answer before, so I know that many disagree... But my answer is yes!

As already mentioned, the cruising into and out of San Francisco was fab! Just fab! What a view of the Golden Gate.

I thoroughly enjoyed the stretch from L.A. To Santa Barbara. Saw many seabirds that were new to me.

On the way out of Santa Barbara, there were beautiful stretches of the chic areas, there. What a place that must be to live. So jealous!

Cruising out of Seattle is a joy, day or night. I have done both.

It is also a joy sailing into and out of Victoria, day or night.

There are scenic lighthouses, a scenic bridge, and the awesome Stanley Park to see when cruising into Vancouver.

Don't miss it!

I have posted this answer before' date=' so I know that many disagree... But my answer is yes!

As already mentioned, the cruising into and out of San Francisco was fab! Just fab! What a view of the Golden Gate.

I thoroughly enjoyed the stretch from L.A. To Santa Barbara. Saw many seabirds that were new to me.

On the way out of Santa Barbara, there were beautiful stretches of the chic areas, there. What a place that must be to live. So jealous!

Cruising out of Seattle is a joy, day or night. I have done both.

It is also a joy sailing into and out of Victoria, day or night.

There are scenic lighthouses, a scenic bridge, and the awesome Stanley Park to see when cruising into Vancouver.

Don't miss it![/quote']

I agree. And don't forget about Astoria and going a few miles up the Columbia River! Except approaching/leaving port you are pretty far off the coast so it doesn't compare to the scenery of Alaska's inside passage but few things (other than the Norwegian and Chilean fjords) probably do! We thoroughly enjoyed the sail out of LA (a first for us), and the sails into/out of Astoria, Seattle, and Victoria. We arrived early in Vancouver but I know from 2 Alaska cruises that is a beatiful approach.

I just got back from a 5-day on another cruise line. Started in Vancouver on Sep 23rd and stopped in Astoria--be sure to visit the Maritime museum--you can get there easily on the $7 little bus that runs along the docks. Google the town to get your bearings. Also stopped in SF but didn't see the GG bridge as it was cloudy. No sun (no pool) til we got to LA (Sep 28). Basically, it was cool and breezy most of the trip. The seas were spirited from Vancouver til SF. As you can see, we all had different experiences in the fall, so it's the luck of the draw.;)

Archived