Why is Star Princess now rated 4.5 stars?

emporess

I just noticed that the star rating for Star Princess has changed from 5.0 stars to 4.5 stars. I am a little skeptical going on the ship now as it is a special occasion and we aren't taking the kids. Anyone have an opinion?

The Star is a great ship and is run very well. I Don't pay any attnetion to the ratings.

Scott

I agree. I love the Star. But I would certainly pay attention to rating 3.5 or below on any ship.

Grand and Golden are also rated 4.5 stars. Could it be that they are now 3 years old and there are a bunch of newer ships out there, so they were adjusted downward? Just think if we threw out or 'downgraded' our houses after three years!!! I'll still gladly go on any of them, and am booked on the Star in October.

We will be boarding the Star on Oct.23! From all the reports I've read she is a fine ship and the favorite of many. I've been on the Grand, Golden and Caribbean Princess. Each experience was a new one. We had no extraordinary expectations except to enjoy ourselves. Fortunately, we haven't encountered anything TERRIBLE about any of them. Our favorite so far is the Golden, but there are many factors involved there. But--we are really looking forward to the Star. Even in grading-depending on the curve-an A can still be an A, even if it isn't 100 percent!!! Enjoy and don't worry!! Lynne

Just got off The Star. Have no idea why the rating would slip 1/2 point. Everything was wonderful:) Great service, staff and shows. Food was very good. We are planning on Golden for next time out of SJU. Also want to do Carib Princess.:)

Perhaps the poster who mentioned the age of the ship could be correct.

Relax and enjoy - The Star is grand. (no pun intended) :)

Northender

If you enjoyed the Star, you will certainly enjoy the Golden--her sister ship. Thus far, the Golden is our favorite. So, the Star is a grand and golden ship!! Pun intended! LOL Lynne

Rated 4.5 stars by who?

How are the ratings established? If one person gave it a bad review because:

1) their luggage got lost

2) they got sick

3) their daughter ran off with the cabin steward

4) the band didn't know "their song"

would that drop the overall rating by a half star?

As others said, that's a minor drop. But more important is who is doing the ratings. Without that info (and I don't see that in your post), it's really hard to say why.

Definitely take the stars with a major grain of salt! Berlitz lists all the mass market at 4 stars, Carnival, Princess, RCI and gives 4+ to Celebrity probably because of the refined, polished service, food, whatever.

I've read harsh reviews by "professional" reviewers, some very critical of Princess and RCI and those are still my first 2 choices when I'm searching for my next cruise.

Susie

Rated 4.5 stars by who?

How are the ratings established? If one person gave it a bad review because:

1) their luggage got lost

2) they got sick

3) their daughter ran off with the cabin steward

4) the band didn't know "their song"

would that drop the overall rating by a half star?

As others said, that's a minor drop. But more important is who is doing the ratings. Without that info (and I don't see that in your post), it's really hard to say why.

I agree – if the “stars” awarded are based on passenger reviews, something trivial might cause a low rating. That’s why if I do look at ratings, I tend to look toward reputable professionals first. And even they’re not always on the mark. Either way, I doubt that Star Princess is ready for the breakers just yet.

Northender

If you enjoyed the Star, you will certainly enjoy the Golden--her sister ship. Thus far, the Golden is our favorite. So, the Star is a grand and golden ship!! Pun intended! LOL Lynne

:D:D:D

You are getting close to convincing me. :D

I find those ratings to be very subjective, and not terribly representative of the total cross-section of cruisers.

I don't put a lot of faith in them, nor in the polls that are often on Cruise Critic.

The only rating I really care about is the one from the CDC and the Star has slipped. It is 95 where last year it was 99.

The rating is so stringent that the difference might be because a napkin was left on the floor. As long as the ship is passing in the 90s, it should be fine.

We sailed the Star when she was brand new, and even then I wouldn't have rated her five stars (on a scale of 5 or 6). Mind you, she is a fantastic ship with a wonderful crew, and we had a great time, but Princess isn't a 5-star liner - Crystal, Seabourne, Radisson and other lines out of my price range are 5-6 stars.

As others have said, the ratings are pretty arbitrary anyway, so I wouldn't worry about at .5 slip. Go and have the time of your lives!

Archived