Questions about Splendor

buckeyefan10

Thinking about cruising on Splendor in April from New York to Eastern Caribbean. Any thoughts?

We just got off the Splendor 9/30, LOVED it. Ofcourse you will be on a different actual cruise... but you will love the ship. She is great and we loved her staff. Review in signature if you want to see ship pictures.

Thanks for the review. It looks like you had a great time. As far as questions. I'm a little concerned that this cruise has 4 fun days at sea. I don't want to it to be boring. I also was wondering how clean she is. I'm very picky on this subject. I like newer and clean. I've never been to NY City and love the idea of spending a few days there before we set sail for the beautiful Caribbean. It's like 2 vacations in one!

Thanks for the review. It looks like you had a great time. As far as questions. I'm a little concerned that this cruise has 4 fun days at sea. I don't want to it to be boring. I also was wondering how clean she is. I'm very picky on this subject. I like newer and clean. I've never been to NY City and love the idea of spending a few days there before we set sail for the beautiful Caribbean. It's like 2 vacations in one!

Thanks...glad you liked the review..

I can't help with sea days... we had 3 sea days and I prefer port days by far.. so I am no help there.

I will say she is only 4 years old and very clean. I brought Lysol wipes because I was concerned about cleaning my cabin before we unpacked.. didnt use them. The whole ship was impeccable honestly.

As we are NCL loyalists, booked on Splendor largely for South America itinerary, we have many questions about ship culture, particularly dining rules and traditions. We signed up for "my time dining" rather than early or late. Can we just pick a venue when we get peckish, as on NCL, or are we expected to show up at a particular spot? Based on proximity to our cabin and mobility issues, we probably will prefer the midships MDR, but we really like the aft MDR with large windows. Some reviews note that the midships MDR has people passing through past one's table all the time.

As we are NCL loyalists, booked on Splendor largely for South America itinerary, we have many questions about ship culture, particularly dining rules and traditions. We signed up for "my time dining" rather than early or late. Can we just pick a venue when we get peckish, as on NCL, or are we expected to show up at a particular spot? Based on proximity to our cabin and mobility issues, we probably will prefer the midships MDR, but we really like the aft MDR with large windows. Some reviews note that the midships MDR has people passing through past one's table all the time.

Dining choices on Carnival are limited to the MDR, Steakhouse ($, reservations usually needed) and buffet. As posted above ATD is assigned a particular dining room.

NYC is neither new nor clean, I hope that doesn't bother you too much, since you made the note of the cleanliness of the ship.

As far as ATD goes, they assign you an MDR and you can show up there at any point that they are open. We avoid the 15 minutes before and after the assigned diners are to be seated to prevent us from being in too long of a line.

Since you're doing Your Time Dining, you'll be dining in the Black Pearl dining room. They sometimes use parts of the Gold Pearl for YTD, if the numbers of passengers that booked YTD warrant it. When you're ready to eat dinner simply show up at the entrance to Black Pearl, which is located on level 3, just behind the stairs in the main atrium, between 5:45-9:30pm.

I went on the Splendor in March 2012, Mexican "riviera".

It was my first cruise and I just got off my second cruise which was on Freedom of the Seas so I can only compare it to two cruises.

I loved the Splendor, I really enjoyed the layout of the nightlife options compared to Freedom's, and I actually preferred the promenade of Splendor and the really cool grand atrium on that ship.

It's a relatively new ship, it was clean, and fun. I'm sure by now the staff is completely different from when I was on, but they were superior to Royal Carribean's in almost every way. I didn't really like the central "family" pool because it was too closed in, but the aft adult pool was great.

I would love to cruise the Splendor again but since it's sailing out of New York I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Archived