Kids on Oceania

mfldclcruiser

So I guess nudists who pay for a room are free to parade through the lobby of the Four Seasons in their birthday suits. Some people find loud, screaming kids more offensive than the naked body.

Yes. But there would be no children present. Sorry could not resist. :)

Oceania is not designed for children and, as a result, has nothing for children to do. That is exactly why we sail on their ships. If YOU want to sail with children, I would suggest you sail on other lines.

I don't recall saying I want to sail with or without children - just there are alternatives for guaranteed child-free travel which maybe would suit Hawaiidan :rolleyes:.

There are places to take children and places NOT to take children, especially when doing so interferes with others' enjoyment of an experience (fine dining restaurants come to mind). For some, there is no distinction. It is unfortunate.

LOL!!! This really reminded me of when I was in college working at the time for what was the most expensive restaurant in Las Vegas, Nevada. I did reservations and hosting for this fine dining venue. We had a strict dress code. I had to always state the dress code when someone made a reservation.

I can recall one lady that asked if that applied to her very young children. I said yes and then stated we did not have booster seats, high chairs, or places to store strollers. She got pissed! I nicely reiterated what was fact and eventually had to pass her to a manager because she was so irate. The manager got on the phone and said the same thing. When he got off the phone he told me she cancelled her reservation and I removed her from our books.

There are places for kids and places not for kids, and that will always be the case, whether it is a night club, restaurant, and perhaps cruise. You can bring children on Oceania... there is nothing that states you can't, but sometimes one should read between the lines.

Sorry to add to this already too-long thread - but.....

1 or 2 well-behaved kids are not an issue, 10 or 12 kids, well-behaved or not ARE an issue because they seem to become less well-behaved when there are more of them. Your kid may be well behaved, but I guarantee you, others will not be and before you know it (unless you plan on not allowing your kid to hang out with the others), your kid will be bunched in with the other not-so-well-behaved kids. So, if your kids are the only kids on board, it will probably not be an issue, however, in the summer, it is likely others will bring their kids.

I have been on cruises with 1 or 2 well-behaved kids and you would barely know they were there - I didn't mind that at all. I was on cruise in September and there was an infant on board. The infant cried throughout dinner at Toscana which was a little annoying, but I really thought the parents looked more miserable! Not sure they really enjoyed their cruise - did not look like fun to me.

Granted, your children are not infants and some of them are old enough that they will probably behave. but do you really want to bring them on a ship where the majority of the people on board are not happy you brought them and there are no ship activities for them?

Walking on the street in London just passed a sign hanging from a menu at a very nice restaurant with an outdoor cafe which said " NO CHILDREN ALLOWED." What a easy way to solve a pretty simple problem. How about it FDR?

Could be a simple solution however, Oceania is a US company and afraid a lawsuit would be filed due to age discrimination which is illegal in the US. That the ships are flagged outside the US, might avoid the age discrimination lawsuit but, they you have to write a good definition of "children" to avoid future discussions like this thread.

The OP's children would definitely be "fine" on Oceania, but for the amount of money involved, is "fine" really good enough when there are other more appropriate lines? I would suggest that they show their children pictures and videos of all the wonderful facilities available on RCCL, such as water slides, and let them choose.

Our "children" are 24 and 32, and they would be bored stiff on Oceania. RCCL is their kind of line.

This parent of a nine year old with 11 cruises under her own belt is looking forward to our Riviera cruise in February. Not every child needs to be constantly entertained by a mouse or a rock wall or even an iPad.

FDR did say they were not a child oriented line but he did NOT say that children were not welcome. My girl will love the cooking classes on board!

And serious knives and lots of wine to drink.

This is an adult activity! How selfish of you to want to put a nine year old in the culinary classes and ruin it for everyone else. This is not some kiddie kitchen where they bake cupcakes.

Personal self importance drives some in this new age to push aside barriers.

The fact is a pre-teen child in an adult class or activity totaly destroys that activity for everyone else. Their inclusion is not only absurd but outright offensive in my opinion.

Just the same as if mommy and daddy or I wanted to enroll in a kids club to interact.. The kids would not be happy. So whats the difference.? I bet that would raise some down right hostilties.

How about La Reserve for some wine tasting for Jr... and maybe a good political or cultural discussion about sponge bob

Children lack the maturity, intelect, and manners of adults...thats why they are called children.

Oceania totaly understands this and why it trys to the best of its legal ability to discourage children on its ships.

Some parents, however, remain forever as children as well.

I was on cruise in September and there was an infant on board. The infant cried throughout dinner at Toscana which was a little annoying, but I really thought the parents looked more miserable! Not sure they really enjoyed their cruise - did not look like fun to me.

Probably on their Honeymoon and realised the reality's of life . LOL

I suggest you double check that children are permitted to enroll in the culinary classes. I recall that sometimes the class participants each use a very large mixer ... questionably safe for a nine year old.

I checked and they are not prohibited. Heck adults can get hurt by knives and a mixer. For someone who thought the Disney kid's club was her least favorite experience and loves to cruise, Oceania will be perfect. Next will be Seabourn.

There are some parents who actually LIKE to spend time with their children and don't get to as often as on a cruise. Some of us do not need to park their kids in some kids program. Cruise Critic represents such a small percentage of cruisers and even Oceania has started a children's program for Alaska. Other destinations will follow.

One of the February sailings is over a school break period and I also checked and there will be other children on board!

There are some parents who actually LIKE to spend time with their children and don't get to as often as on a cruise.

That is very true. For that reason, it is best to chose a ship that offers facilities and activities that suit the family's interests. Oceania does not offer family activities.

The family who cruises with Oceania had better teach their children how to dance the fox trot. :)

That is very true. For that reason, it is best to chose a ship that offers facilities and activities that suit the family's interests. Oceania does not offer family activities.

And it is up to each individual family to determine what is right for their family!

even Oceania has started a children's program for Alaska. Other destinations will follow.

I certainly hope not :eek:

There was a big uproar when the program was announce for Alaska cruises so time will tell

I am not against children but parents must be involved in what they are doing while on the ship

I am not against children but parents must be involved in what they are doing while on the ship

This is certainly the common sense answer to this question.

Can we now put this thread to rest? Please?

There was a big uproar when the program was announce for Alaska cruises so time will tell
There was only a big "uproar" from a very very small group of people on Cruise Critic. You can count the number of people against the program in the thread announcing it.

Want to know which cruises are selling out in Alaska first? The ones with family programs. Money does talk!

There was only a big "uproar" from a very very small group of people on Cruise Critic. You can count the number of people against the program in the thread announcing it.

Want to know which cruises are selling out in Alaska first? The ones with family programs. Money does talk!

Like I said Time will tell ;)

We have no idea how many other people who are not on CC took their money elsewhere

Yes money talks ...it also walks in other directions if not happy

The only cruise that is fully booked with a children's program is the July 12th others are still open

If you want to take your child on Oceania that is your choice

It is not for me to say where you should take your child

Lyn

WOW - some of you people amaze me! Children are allowed on board Oceania but the line is not "child-oriented." Some of you seem to think that this means children are NOT allowed.

If you read the OP's post, she didn't ask for your OPINION on whether she should bring her children, she asked if there was anything to do onboard, etc. It's amazing to me that some people think it's ok to interject their opinions where non was asked!! Geesh - some of you need to "grow up!"

This discussion will end when cruisers are no longer annoyed by spoiled, selfish children and their parents.

I scrimped and saved to take my dream cruise. I spent one-third of my salary only to be annoyed by kids running up and down hallways after 11pm. I really got annoyed when I went into an elevator and had to stop at every floor because some kid pushed every button. I was completely annoyed when teens and young adults showed up to the GDR and specialty restaurants in short-shorts and sweat pants. And I was beyond annoyed when there was chaos poolside. Splashing and screaming did not meet my expectations.

Many people voiced their concern and nothing was done. I was told that the crew didn't want to 'make waves' with the parents of the unruly. What put me over the edge is that the President of Oceania was onboard and he did NOTHING!!!!

So, I believe this conversation is far from over.

Archived