European internet cafes and passports

Peppyrmynt

I am going on my first European and first Oceania cruise soon and my husband and I had both decided we would check in with the internet while in port. Recently I read that due to an anti-terrorism law passed in Italy in 2005 one must be able to present one's passport (or "Internationally recognized identification document") at the internet cafes before being able to use them. I am also of the understanding that Oceania will take and keep my passport when I board to expedite customs clearance at each port.

Do they give you your passports when you go in to port? Or is there a way for me to request my passport? Am I mistaken regarding them keeping my passport? Or does anyone have experience with using their US Driver's License to gain access to Italian internet cafes?

My first ever Starbucks coffee was in the Starbucks near the port in Istanbul last year. Walked in, bought a coffee, and used the Internet. No passport needed.

I only used my Mac Air twice on the cruise, both in Turkey, both in Starbucks.

That is my experience.

(haven't had a Starbucks since).

I haven't used an internet cafe in several years, but I never was asked to provide identification .... just pay the bill!

Probably a photocopy of the photo page of your passport would suffice. And if you have your driver's license, that might well work too.

Mura

Archived