Crystalised Ginger

P&OMAN

Joining the Voyager of the Seas early next month on our cruise of Australia and New Zealand.

As we are flying in from the UK and being aware of the strict rules concerning bringing in food will we have a problem having Crystalised Ginger in our luggage.

My wife can suffer from sea sickness, thus the reason to bring Crystalised Ginger with us.

Regards

I am sure if it is in a sealed package there should be no problem - I brought back dried pawpaw from Thailand with no problem but it was in a sealed package.

But yes you should be able to get it here if staying a few days - in health food section of any of the larger supermarkets.

Thanks for the replies.

Flying into Perth on the Sunday afternoon, staying in Freemantle overnight and then joining Voyager of the Seas sometime around Monday lunchtime.

Just in case we did not have enough time to go shopping thought it would be better to bring them with us.

P&Oman - you would have no problem getting your crystalised ginger in Fremantle. The Fremantle 'E' sheds are right next to the terminal (5 minute walk) - you would be able to get it there - it is a market. Also the actual Fremantle markets are a stones throw away - should you want to go there. Loads of shops nearby.

Agree that as long as it's sealed and branded, I expect it will be fine.
So do I.

I bring quite a lot of food in to Australia. Sealed and branded commercially-produced cooked food has always been fine.

The most important thing is to declare it and let Customs decide what's OK to import. You can be heavily fined for not declaring food, even if the food is actually OK to import. The offence is not declaring it; Customs want to be the people making the decisions about it, not you.

Whilst you are here, you might like also to try our Bundaberg Ginger Beer Cordial.

I always take a bottle (plastic) with me, as well as the crystalised ginger, when I cruise.

In addition, it is on the top of the wish list for my overseas daughter.

I had a granola cereal with dried cranberries a few years ago...sealed box...declared it...and he apologetically took it. I would buy there. Dried fruit might be prohibited. If you bring it just don't be upset if it is taken. It might not be.

Karen

Always tick the "yes" box where it asks you if you have any food stuff. That covers you for the "forgotten" lollies (sweets) that are rolling around the bottom of your handbag - or the packet of crisps you forgot to finish off but stuffed away when you were packing up to get off the plane. it happens........just tick "yes"

http://www.daff.gov.au/

This link should help you in making your decision. Open "Food" and you will find what is prohibited. Dried fruit is in there. Again it depends on the day - who is checking you through.

You could email them and ask your question in the "contact us" section

Archived