wait list

Anna201213

I am interested for a cruise in December 2013. Today my travel agent told me that if I am on a wait list the price could be changed it means that if a cabin is available in 6 months I won't pay the price of today even if I give a deposit of $500.00. Prices subject to increase January 1 and if we book before Dec 31 we get a post cruise free night. Do you think I could have chance to get a cabin before Dec 31.

I'm confused. Are you saying that there is a cruise in dec 12 which has a waitlist, which you are going to put a deposit on? So if the waitlist clears and the price has gone up, you will have to pay the higher price? That may be true.

I thought the whole reason for "waitlist" with deposit was to hold the price.... But then again, what do I know?

Usually a wait list is when the category of stateroom you want is sold out. I have a hard time believing that a 12/13 cruise is sold out already. If so, then I do believe you could be in for a fare increase if a room comes open.

Agree with last poster. Although I doubt if a December, 2013 cruise is really sold out, some cabins are probably being held by TA's. The same thing happened with Regent's November crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio in November. Over a year ago there were no suites available. Then, there were numerous cancellations (including us). Unfortunately, I highly doubt if cancellations will occur before December 31st.

Agree with last poster. Although I doubt if a December, 2013 cruise is really sold out, some cabins are probably being held by TA's. The same thing happened with Regent's November crossing from Monte Carlo to Rio in November. Over a year ago there were no suites available. Then, there were numerous cancellations (including us). Unfortunately, I highly doubt if cancellations will occur before December 31st.

Agents have to give up cabins 90 days before the cruise or they have to pay for them

Dec 18 has a few guarantees

Dec 28 is all wait listed

If your basic question is what you have to pay if and when you clear the waitlist and get a cabin assignment, then yes, you will pay the contemporaneous price at that time. The waitlist is simply a device to put you in the queue for a cabin, it does not hold today's price.

If my understanding of the process is correct, you can go on to a waitlist without a deposit, but there are actually two internal waitlists -- the one in which you pay a deposit gets prioirity. Of course, if you do NOT clear the waitlist and get a cabin, you'll get your deposit back -- I think.

I'm not an agent and I'm just repeating what I've learned over the years.

Agents have to give up cabins 90 days before the cruise or they have to pay for them

Dec 18 has a few guarantees

Dec 28 is all wait listed

I agree that TA's have can hold cabins for months. The problem, IMO, is that a cruise that is waitlisted a year from now will probably still be waitlisted when the prices "may" increase on January 1, 2013 (as well as other possible increases in 2013). There will certainly be cancellations, but not necessarily prior to 1/1/2012.

I am interested for a cruise in December 2013. Today my travel agent told me that if I am on a wait list the price could be changed it means that if a cabin is available in 6 months I won't pay the price of today even if I give a deposit of $500.00. Prices subject to increase January 1 and if we book before Dec 31 we get a post cruise free night. Do you think I could have chance to get a cabin before Dec 31.

What cruise are you looking at I though I saw 2012 but now I see you said 2013 something seems odd.

If G and H are the only ones waitlisted, you could book an F and then if/when G/H open up move. We did that for the Monte Carlo to RIO cruise coming up, had to book an E, but kept and eye on the inventory and as soon as G opened with guarantees, moved down to that pricing.

I don't know if this helps at all but there is a radio station here in the n.y. area that is heavily advertising this cruise, I think on the Mariner, for Dec. 2013. I would guess that they have a large block of space resereved. It is being sponsored by a travel agency. I would guess I can't mention the name but the info could be gotten from the radio station website. Am I allowed to mention that?

Archived