Cruise insurance question?

Yazoo cruiser

We are long time cruisers but have never bought insurance, we have been lucky. However my wife had a heart attack a few weeks ago, she asked her doctor and he said she should be fine by Nov. 25th. I am a little apprehensive about going but she insists on going if everything is fine at her next checkup. Concerning the rates, is it charged by the length of the cruise , the amount of the cruise or something else? We are on a 7 nighter on the Conquest and spent around $1200. Also, is it better to go through Carnival or find a private company? THANKS for the help.

Well, it might be a little difficult to buy insurance for a pre-condition since you have already booked your cruise (you only have so many days). You will have to ask the insurance carrier if it will cover her.

We are long time cruisers but have never bought insurance, we have been lucky. However my wife had a heart attack a few weeks ago, she asked her doctor and he said she should be fine by Nov. 25th. I am a little apprehensive about going but she insists on going if everything is fine at her next checkup. Concerning the rates, is it charged by the length of the cruise , the amount of the cruise or something else? We are on a 7 nighter on the Conquest and spent around $1200. Also, is it better to go through Carnival or find a private company? THANKS for the help.

Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan premium is based on the cost of the cruisefare - but does not include "Waiver of pre-existing conditions", so any claim you'd file that was traceable to a condition that existed in the 60 days preceding VPP purchase would be denied - on the bright side, if such happens you'd be covered by the included "Cancel for Any Reason" 75% future cruise CREDIT (altho technically you might not have this coverage if you purchase the coverage after Final Payment). You might have a problem purchasing Carnival VPP this close to sailing, IMO it won't cover anything related to your wife's heart attack, and I'm not sure the "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage would be included at this late date.

Third Party Policies as offered by CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx, etc. premiums are based on Age and Cruisefare. If not purchased w/in 14-21 days of Cruise deposit they do not include "Waiver of Pre-Existing condition". These Policies have pre-existing lookbacks of 60 to 180 days. Other than being able to purchase a 3rd party policy this late, I don't think anything related to your wife's heart attack would be covered.

Generally a pre-existing condition is a medical condition that newly occurred during the lookback period or a previous condition that required hospitalization, treatment, or Rx change during the lookback period. You also have to be able to cruise on the date you purchase Insurance.

IMO purchasing Trip Insurance in response to a just-occurred medical event is VERY iffy.

Does your personal health plan by any chance have out-of-country or overseas coverage included?

ken

I carry medjet which is insurance just for evacuation for medical reasons. If you need a helicopter and are in the Artic Circle or anywhere in the world you're covered. That could be a hundred thousand dollar expense. Are you really worried about the $1200 for the cruise? A piece of lost luggage isn't worth the cost of insurance since in 80 cruises I have never once lost a piece of luggage. It's the medical that will bankrupt most people not the cost of the cruise and that's why I only insure that. The family policy is only hundreds for a 2 year period, well worth it to my way of thinking.

A policy like HTH Worldwide TravelGap Gold will cover her and M.H. Ross used to have one with no waiver as well. You'll pay a price for any policy picking up pre-existing conditions at this point ($350ish). It's easiest to buy with days of initial payment and some are within days of final payment but it's not impossible now.

I would call the people at insure my trip.com and get some help if you're interested in buying for peace of mind. That will be your most comprehensive search as TA's and insurance agents usually only represent a few companies but they have most all of them.

Good luck and glad your wife is feeling better!

A policy like HTH Worldwide TravelGap Gold will cover her and M.H. Ross used to have one with no waiver as well. You'll pay a price for any policy picking up pre-existing conditions at this point ($350ish). It's easiest to buy with days of initial payment and some are within days of final payment but it's not impossible now.

I would call the people at insure my trip.com and get some help if you're interested in buying for peace of mind. That will be your most comprehensive search as TA's and insurance agents usually only represent a few companies but they have most all of them.

Good luck and glad your wife is feeling better!

LRene - Good Call!!!!

OP - LRene's suggestion is probably about as good as it gets at this late date. The only popssible "kicker" would be if you don't have a "primary" health insurer (medicare is OK) and of course it doesn't cover any trip cancellation costs if you have to cancel because of the condition. ken

Yep; call a general insurance broker like insuremytrip and be prepared to pay a lot of money for a little coverage on your relatively inexpensive trip.

Your particular situation is referred to in the insurance industry as "adverse selection." It means that those most likely to use coverage are those most likely to purchase it. Insurance companies do everything they can to reduce/eliminate benefits for those people, as admitting them to the policy would greatly drive up claim costs (and therefore premium prices) to uncompetitive levels. They aren't doing this because they are mean or cruel; they have a business to run and your wife is at a high risk of filing a claim. They'd really prefer you not get one of their policies at all; nobody is a winner in fights over pre-ex exclusions.

Whatever policy you get, make sure it clearly covers your wife... better to get it worked out now than be fighting over an expensive claim after-the-fact.

What might be a deal-killer is most travel insurers require that you be fit to travel as of the date the policy is purchased for any coverage to be effective. So "should be fine by November 25th" might not be good enough. Can she travel TODAY? When you're calling around be sure to get a clarification on that before you buy.

I carry medjet which is insurance just for evacuation for medical reasons. If you need a helicopter and are in the Artic Circle or anywhere in the world you're covered.

Unfortunately, not in the example you've used. MedJet evacuated folks by jet only. If you can only be transported by helicopter due to your location MedJet will tell you to get yourself to some place where a jet can land and from there the coverage will apply. The cost of the helicopter to get you to the place the jet will pick you up will be on you. The same applies to evacuations from cruise ships. Although the ships are getting big enough it might not be too long before a jet can land on one.

What if the OP re-booked?

They'd have to eat the partial non-refundable cancelation fee, but then rebooked (maybe even at a lowere rate) and then bought the insurance within the 14 day period for the pre-existing conditions waiver?

And how does the insurance company determine if one is fit for travel on the day of insurance purchase? m--

Archived