Allianz vs. Travel Insured

bled01

I am going to be getting travel insurance for the first time, and I am in the process of deciding on insurance coverage. Based on some of the posts I have read, I decided to use InsureMyTrip.com .

I submitted an online quote request which came up with 61 different plans to choose from, so needless to say I needed some advice. I called up Insure My Trip and the woman there was pretty helpful actually. Based on the specific criteria that I gave her, she told me that only two insurers would cover my needs: Allianz and Travel Insured.

I am still reading the fine print to see what level of coverage I need, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has experience with either company or would recommend one over the other just from a general overall company reputation standpoint?

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking to. I went to the same site and allianz was 74 total for 2 adults and 3 kids.I. did not pay yet. I was not sure. carnival was 49 per person

Compare what you are getting for the two different prices. I suspect the policies are not the same.

• 1 month later...

I was going to ask the same question. I put in my criteria and over 50 options came up among several different companies, so I just didn't know who to pick. (I haven't picked anyone yet but need to get on the ball as my cruise leaves in 13 days). I wasn't sure who was reputable and what all the info meant. So, I was also looking on here for some advice of reputable companies.

Just make sure you understand clearly what each policy does and does not cover, the fine print in insurance policies can be hard to navigate. You should also consider if there is any element in your life that you need to be especially concerned about, like pre-existing conditions or a sick relative or work issues, that could impact your ability to travel or complete your trip. Some things you probably can't cover at this late date, but in general more expensive policies cover more, so just know what you're buying.

Allianz is the world's largest insurance company, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

All of that doesn't matter. No plan covers every possible situation, Allianz included. So you can never be "sure it'll be fine" without actually finding out what it covers and what it doesn't cover. For many, Allianz might be the worst possible choice -- not because of the "quality" of the company but because of the coverages and exclusions of the plan itself. The same can be said for every travel insurance plan out there.

The other thing to consider is that most travel insurance companies have a selection of plans, with the more expensive options providing more coverage. It's really not as easy as saying "Allianz does (or doesn't) provide good insurance." Read carefully before you buy!

Archived