Bon Voyage Experience- little known gem

cibaygirls

I have gained so much knowledge on cruise critic, but am so excited to share that I think finding out about the BVE has been my favorite. I had never heard of it before reading these boards.

My DH and myself has sailed on Princess several times (we are in our late 30s) and I just know that my mother would absolutely love cruising. She has some hesitations in being at sea and some very irrational fears of drowing (darn that poseidon adventure movie:mad:). I almost had her booking one about 6 months ago, but finances complicated it as she would need to book as a single supplement and was unsure if she would feel claustrophobic in an inside.

We did the BVE on Saturday on the CB in Brooklyn. The cost was $39 a person and we got lunch with a glass of wine and range of the ship.. we were even able to peek in to see an inside room so she got a sense of the size. They even took a photo of us together and each person got 2 copies of this (they are $20 a piece alone). It was such a great deal!!! It was such a beautiful day and it did in fact serve the purpose... my mother has agreed to book a Thanksgiving cruise for next year.. I knew she would be hooked :D And we get to apply that $39 to the cruisefare.

So thank you to everyone on these boards for sharing information!!! I never would have known about this.

Dana

I have gained so much knowledge on cruise critic, but am so excited to share that I think finding out about the BVE has been my favorite. I had never heard of it before reading these boards.

My DH and myself has sailed on Princess several times (we are in our late 30s) and I just know that my mother would absolutely love cruising. She has some hesitations in being at sea and some very irrational fears of drowing (darn that poseidon adventure movie:mad:). I almost had her booking one about 6 months ago, but finances complicated it as she would need to book as a single supplement and was unsure if she would feel claustrophobic in an inside.

We did the BVE on Saturday on the CB in Brooklyn. The cost was $39 a person and we got lunch with a glass of wine and range of the ship.. we were even able to peek in to see an inside room so she got a sense of the size. They even took a photo of us together and each person got 2 copies of this (they are $20 a piece alone). It was such a great deal!!! It was such a beautiful day and it did in fact serve the purpose... my mother has agreed to book a Thanksgiving cruise for next year.. I knew she would be hooked :D And we get to apply that $39 to the cruisefare.

So thank you to everyone on these boards for sharing information!!! I never would have known about this.

Dana

So nice to hear you enjoyed your BVE and that your mother did as well. I think this is a great way for those who are hesitant to cruise to get a feel for the ship.

Great to hear of your pleasant BV experience. I'm local to Ft Lauderdale and have sailed Princess once long ago & was thinking of surprising my sister with a Princess BV experience in anticipation of getting her to try Princess next year (she's been on over 10 Carnival cruises).

In fact, DH and I are doing Ruby in December, and I thought I'd introduce DS to Princess in anticipaction for a girls' trip on Princess next year instead of the usual Carnival, as she (and I) is getting a little sick of Carnival. Her budget is tight and she only cruises typically once a year. Time for a change.

I only wish the ships came to Lake Erie! Then I could get a lot of my friends hooked as well!

So glad to hear it was a positive experience for her! Does she have a friend she can travel with to help share the costs?

On one of our last cruises, we had dinner one night with a charming lady and her travel mate. She hated to travel alone (She was from England) and so she asked her good friend if she could 'borrow' her friend's husband for a cruise as he was so much fun to be with. It was agreed and they shared an inside room together but as she said -'no hanky panky' going on in their cabin.

They were a dear couple, she used a walker and he was on crutches as he had had one leg amputated. They looked to be in their 80's! Just priceless!!!

She has some hesitations in being at sea and some very irrational fears of drowing (darn that poseidon adventure movie:mad:).

Last year, on the Coral Princess, we had a nice lunch conversation with Eric Nelson who had a role in the Poseidon Adventure.

I almost had her booking one about 6 months ago, but finances complicated it as she would need to book as a single supplement and was unsure if she would feel claustrophobic in an inside.

Why can't you, your DH and your Mom share a Balcony cabin on your next cruise? Then you will all be taking the cruise together where your Mom won't be intimidated being alone and the fare will be cheaper as she won't have to pay the single supplement.

Jim

Dana[/quote

I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you. I can't wait to do our BVE on the Sapphire on 11/17 !!

...what son-in-law would want to spend a cruise with his mother in law, let alone in the same cabin?????

Best idea is to bring a friend of hers so she does not have to pay double.... and if the friend cannot do it due to finances... the mom will have to pay it anyways for single supplement...so invite someone!!

Archived