El Conquisador Resort

welove2cruisedou

Has anyone stayed at the El Conquisador Resort pre-cruise? This resort looks beautiful and my husband and I would love to stay there pre-cruise. My question is, do they have a shuttle from the airport to the resort and a shuttle from the resort to the port? If no shuttle, how much would a taxi cost both ways? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!:)

welove2cruisedou,

I am looking at this for post-cruise. Here is the info I got from El Con's FAQ.

Is airport transportation available? The resort provides an economical motorcoach service from the Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU) in San Juan. The cost is $74.00 roundtrip per adult and $54.00 roundtrip per child 12 years old and under (note: PR tax of 7% is additional). Prices are subject to change without notice and are subject to applicable taxes.

Is the motorcoach service available for all arrival times?

Our airport staff is available in the baggage claim area to facilitate your arrival to the resort at all times provided we have your flight information.

Do I need to purchase tickets for the airport transfers or make reservations in advance? You do not need to purchase tickets for the motorcoach as the charge will be applied directly to your room bill. Please provide us with your flight information (Airline, Flight Numbers and Arrival/Departure Times) in advance by calling our Resort Concierge at 787.863.1000 .

Where do I catch the motorcoach? Greeters are located outside the baggage claim areas holding El Conquistador signs and our motorcoach boarding location is between terminals B & C on the arrival level.

What times does the motorcoach depart the resort to return to the airport? Our motorcoach service departs the resort (El Conquistador's Main Arrival Plaza) every two hours between 5 A.M. and 5 P.M from Monday - Sunday. We recommend departing the resort no later than 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight time due to the time of transfer and flight check in, USDA inspection and Security Inspection at the airport.

What is the cost for a taxi to and from the airport? Rates vary between $100 - $125 each way depending on the number of passengers and time of arrival or departure.

My suggestion would be to rent a car from Charlie. They will pick you up at the airport to take you to their office in Isla Verde to get your car. You can then return the car at their cruise ship office where they will then shuttle you to the port. This would be so much cheaper than the resort's shuttle service.

Sheal

We LOVE the El Conquistador. It is totally different than the experience in San Juan. It is absolutely breathtaking. I would highly recommend renting a car. It is VERY easy to drive in Puerto Rico. As soon as you leave San Juan - you will feel very at home - KFC, Pizza Hut, Kmart,etc. Then as you near the El Conquistador, you will feel like you are somewhere tropical.

The resort is just a few minutes from BIO Bay - amazing - if the moon cooperates - don't miss this! Also, the resort is close to the rainforest. Go in the morning. Hike the trail, swim under the waterfall, climb the tower, pose in the bamboo forest - great day!

IMO,

If you are only going to be in San Juan two or even three days pre-cruise, I would not go to El Conquistador. I would go to one of the resorts in San Juan. I think it too far and removed from Old San Juan and you'd miss out on what is available in San Juan. JMO.......

It's a lovely property and nice resort but a place that I would make my vacation rather than just a few days pre or post cruise.

Has anyone stayed at the El Conquisador Resort pre-cruise? This resort looks beautiful and my husband and I would love to stay there pre-cruise.

It's an incredible place: three pools on different levels (a funicular railway connects them), a private island with boats that take you to and from the resort, jet-ski rentals, great restaurants, etc. etc. It's a great place to spend a week, but it's about an hour from San Juan, so if you're only planning a night or two before or after the cruise, you really won't have time to get the full experience of the place.

Has anyone stayed at the El Conquisador Resort pre-cruise? This resort looks beautiful and my husband and I would love to stay there pre-cruise. My question is, do they have a shuttle from the airport to the resort and a shuttle from the resort to the port? If no shuttle, how much would a taxi cost both ways? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!:)

We are staying there before our cruise next month. I have gone back and forth but decided to rent a car, $60 for two days. I also took the chance and bid on Priceline, I got El Conquistador for $75 night on my first bid!!! I just bid a couple of hours ago :)

You hit the jackpot!!! I've never heard of the price being even close to that. I think last time I got a special rate at $159 or something and we felt it was worth every penny. It is a spectacular resort. Don't miss the Bio Bay and El Yunque(best early in the morning).

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to see what my husband wants to do!! How far is the drive to the resort? I understand its on the otherside of the island.

Don't know if you made your decision yet, but as others have said El Con is pretty far from everything and is more of a destination in of itself. I have never cruised from PR but we did a land-based holiday there and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Isla Verde; wonderful experience. The service at a Ritz is second to none and they have a decent beach with plenty of chairs/towels/umbrellas that the staff will set up for you personally in an area of your choosing. Restaurants in the hotel are good but rather expensive (to be expected) however there is a decent Cuban place (called Metropolol) across the street with some of the friendliest staff I have encountered anywhere and good prices for large portions. Plus, the Ritz is VERY close to the airport so a taxi will be extremely cheap (less than $20 when we were there...much cheaper than $75-$100 to the El Con).

Also, Old San Juan is a lovely city (oldest in the U.S.) with many charming old buildings and shops. If you have never been, it is worthwhile spending the day there just taking it all in before you board the ship. Hope this helped! :)

Archived