Demographics during school vacation week...

bled01

We am currently booked with Carnival during school vacation week in February, but I am thinking of switching.

DW and I are in our late 30's but I would say we probably have more in common with the younger crowd. We have never sailed on Princess but I understand that there is an older demographic on board compared to Carnival for example.

Question is whether or not this demographic would be skewed somewhat during school vacation week. Part of me is a bit scared to go on Carnival that week for fear that it will be a mad house. That also has me thinking that maybe there would be a younger crown on Princess that week and would maybe make the overall demographic similar to RCCL perhaps?

The Princess ship I was looking at is the Caribbean Princess and we are currently booked on the Carnival Dream. The Princess cruise would be about $400 less than the Carnival cruise for a balcony, and would be going to ports we have never been to before which is also a plus.

Any opinions on this?

[quote name='tcs1366']Which week of Feb?

I've traveled twice, both at the end of Feb in Carnival without any issues.

I'd think March and April would be worse.[/QUOTE]

It is the week of 2/17 which is a big school vacation week for the states in the New England area.

Answer these questions and maybe you'll be able to answer the question yourself. There is no right or wrong answer - it's just about what your preferences are:

When on a cruise, do you walk around carrying a beer bottle?
Does it bother you if other people do?
Do loud, obnoxious drunk people bother you?
Do you like to 'hoot and holler' at the shows?
At the pools, do you like to be on display and get lots of attention from the opposite sex?
Do you enjoy talking about your tattoos and other peoples' too?
Do you like to hear people yelling, running and laughing loudly in the hallways at 3am?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, then Carnival during a school break is the cruise line for you. If you answered no, then Princess is the answer. Carnival does have good food IMO and good service (generally speaking) but the clientele is very different from Princess, even during school breaks.

[quote name='DrivesLikeMario']Answer these questions and maybe you'll be able to answer the question yourself. There is no right or wrong answer - it's just about what your preferences are:

When on a cruise, do you walk around carrying a beer bottle?
Does it bother you if other people do?
Do loud, obnoxious drunk people bother you?
Do you like to 'hoot and holler' at the shows?
At the pools, do you like to be on display and get lots of attention from the opposite sex?
Do you enjoy talking about your tattoos and other peoples' too?
Do you like to hear people yelling, running and laughing loudly in the hallways at 3am?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, then Carnival during a school break is the cruise line for you. If you answered no, then Princess is the answer. Carnival does have good food IMO and good service (generally speaking) but the clientele is very different from Princess, even during school breaks.[/QUOTE]

I realize that this was a bit tongue and cheek, but I went ahead and answered just for fun:D

When on a cruise, do you walk around carrying a beer bottle? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Sometimes...like if I am up on the pool deck or something[/COLOR]
Does it bother you if other people do? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Not really[/COLOR]
Do loud, obnoxious drunk people bother you?[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Yes[/COLOR]
Do you like to 'hoot and holler' at the shows? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]No[/COLOR]
At the pools, do you like to be on display and get lots of attention from the opposite sex? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Not really, but I don't mind if others are[/COLOR]
Do you enjoy talking about your tattoos and other peoples' too? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]No, but I have a couple.[/COLOR]
Do you like to hear people yelling, running and laughing loudly in the hallways at 3am? [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Umm...No[/COLOR]

LOL Thanks - looks like you'd be comfortable on either line then. That being the case, I would look at price next. IMO, I don't think you will get $400 more of a better experience with Carnival. In fact, I would say quite the opposite. There are plenty of people on Princess that are your age during that time period for that itinerary so it's up to you if you want to save the dough. ;)

[quote name='DrivesLikeMario']LOL Thanks - looks like you'd be comfortable on either line then. That being the case, I would look at price next. IMO, I don't think you will get $400 more of a better experience with Carnival. In fact, I would say quite the opposite. There are plenty of people on Princess that are your age during that time period for that itinerary so it's up to you if you want to save the dough. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am kind of leaning that way...although I am also looking at the Oasis of the Seas as well which would be $600 MORE than Carnival. I have been really wanted to go on one of those Oasis class ships but now that would be a $1000 swing from the Princess cruise. Decisions Decisions:confused:

[quote name='bled01']Yeah, I am kind of leaning that way...although I am also looking at the Oasis of the Seas as well which would be $600 MORE than Carnival. I have been really wanted to go on one of those Oasis class ships but now that would be a $1000 swing from the Princess cruise. Decisions Decisions:confused:[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that. When I saw your post, that was the first thing I thought of that would fit you! Friends of mine just got back from the Oasis. They've also been on the Allure. They're about your age. They love that class of ship! I know the price is prohibitive, but it does tend to come down with RCI. If you can, wait to book about 2 months from the sail date and watch for regional specials or Crown & Anchor coupons.

Archived