Lifve cruise trip reports/blogs?

Wendy The Wanderer

I don't see many people posting live reports from ships here on this forum. I'm wondering why--just not a custom?

Of course, I remember Jim&Stan's famous one, several years back, but it doesn't seem very common here. I admit it's kind of disappointing.

I find both reading and writing these posts very enjoyable.

I don't see many people posting live reports from ships here on this forum. I'm wondering why--just not a custom?

Of course, I remember Jim&Stan's famous one, several years back, but it doesn't seem very common here. I admit it's kind of disappointing.

I plan to do a day by day review with pictures when I get back. I don't want to deal with the expense of internet minutes for loading pictures while on the cruise (not to mention waiting for it - I'm on vacation ;)), plus the inconsistency of the internet that can happen across the Atlantic.

Probably because we don't normally get free internet, like folks with more than 21 days on Regent, where the reports are more comm9n. Many of us are too frugal to spend good money just to send live reports home.

I've done some live reports in the past, but only when I've had the courtesy of free internet, like on Riviera's Christening cruise. We also had free internet on Marina's Maiden voyage, but the internet was so screwed up on that trip it didn't mean much :rolleyes:.

Probably because we don't normally get free internet, like folks with more than 21 days on Regent, where the reports are more comm9n. Many of us are too frugal to spend good money just to send live reports home.

Of course, why didn't I think of that?

Some people are doing other things than sitting in their cabin on the web

Gee, thanks for the put-down!

Gee, thanks for the put-down!

Now Wendy, Cruise Critic's mustn't be thin skinned...

-besides, Lyn is actually correct. It IS hard to find the time to Post while ON the ship, especially during one of the Port intensive itineraries that Oceania is famous for.

Lyn is actually correct. It IS hard to find the time to Post while ON the ship, especially during one of the Port intensive itineraries that Oceania is famous for.

+1

Doing a live blog with pictures takes a LOT of preparation time... We are generally so tired after our crazy days in port that we wouldn't have the time to do it as nicely as we'd like. If others do, we salute and encourage you! Plus, I will admit that I'm too darn cheap to buy internet access from the ship.

I have kept a journal on my laptop for the past few cruises, and we download/label our pictures every day or two so we don't forget where we were and what we saw/did. Even that can be too much of a burden on a port-intensive cruise. It would be really hard for me to put out a live blog in addition to that.

For our last cruise, we did a "not so live" (delayed) report with pictures upon our return. It worked much better, because the internet was faster and already paid for at home! Plus, it allowed us to relive the cruise upon our return. Reading my journal as I posted and looking at the pictures made me forget for a few minutes that I was home and the trip was over.

+1

Doing a live blog with pictures takes a LOT of preparation time... We are generally so tired after our crazy days in port that we wouldn't have the time to do it as nicely as we'd like. If others do, we salute and encourage you! Plus, I will admit that I'm too darn cheap to buy internet access from the ship.

+2

We are so tired some days I could fall asleep in my dinner

I am usually in bed by 10pm on port intensive cruises

Lyn

I admit I've never done anything elaborate with pictures. Just a brief report once in a while to tell folks back home a bit about how the cruise is going. I don't spend much time doing this. In fact, one one cruise, the first one with a smartphone, I did brief "tweet"-like posts, and amplified once in a while from a PC if I had some time to spare.

I agree, it's not something I want to spent much time on, our first five cruises we had no electronic contact at all with the world. But I do like writing about what I'm doing sometimes.

Some people are doing other things than sitting in their cabin on the web

I think its because Oceania's demographics are drawn from a different level and are not social media/ face book addicts who seem to feel this complusion to relate daily if not hourly every detail of their lives and in somehow in need of attention. The reliance on constant communication an obsession with their techno toys to feel complete..

Taking a cruise is about your personal experience and discovery of self values... doing things with real prople in real places.

It seems to me a bit vain to beleive the world is hanging on you experiences. I dont get the whole blog idea at all...why?

I think its because Oceania's demographics are drawn from a different level and are not social media/ face book addicts who seem to feel this complusion to relate daily if not hourly every detail of their lives and in somehow in need of attention. The reliance on constant communication an obsession with their techno toys to feel complete..

Taking a cruise is about your personal experience and discovery of self values... doing things with real prople in real places.

It seems to me a bit vain to beleive the world is hanging on you experiences. I dont get the whole blog idea at all...why?

Well gee, what can I say? I'm 64 years old, but I am, I admit, an afficianado of the internet, having been in the industry since its beginning. And I've done nothing but luxury cruises on Regent, which have much the same demographic as Oceania, I believe.

Some people view it as a means to help others on these boards understand what the experience is like. I don't think it's an egotistical thing. It's certainly a personal decision.

Thank you. Yes.

Archived