Aisch, airfares are horrible!

veryhotred

Just booked a family cruise on the Norwegian Epic for March 2 family balcony 7 nights $3100 total. Looking at airfare, omg finding airfare for lowest at $2000, highest $4000!!! I live in Omaha NE and the cruise leaves from Miami. I have cruised many times from FL and have flown Omaha to Ft Lauderdale, Omaha to Miami, KC to Ft Lauderdale KC to Miami but NEVER seen airfares this high...this most I may have paid $250 pp. Generally I am good at finding cheap air but so far no luck..any tips?

Generally I am good at finding cheap air but so far no luck..any tips?
As FlyerTalker says, http://matrix.itasoftware.com.

Assuming you're going to fly on 1 March for the 2 March cruise, and you're prepared to stay one night after the cruise and fly home on 10 March to get a lower air fare, then you can do MCI-FLL-MCI for $247 per person on DL. What's wrong with that price?

If you impose an unrealistic ceiling on what you're prepared to pay to fly, you may very well want to think about cancelling the cruise while you still can.

How many people are in this family?

From another one of OP's posts:

It will be me (41) hubby (40) my daughter (13) and my son (12)

So four people.

OP - I agree - to get lower airfare, you're going to have to leave 01 Mar and return 10 Mar, MCI-FLL. Flights are $247 as already stated by Globaliser. That price seems quite reasonable to me.

Wow, first of all I haven't seen the $247 airfare so why jump my butt?? I never said $247 was overpriced, out of question, etc...I said $4000 is OUT of the question...and even $2000 that I have seen seems crazy..I always fly in the day before and am flexible in staying one day after... I came here to ask a question is all, not to get told to cancel my cruise as $247 is unreasonable..can anyone ever ask a question here w/o being jumped on?

To the first poster, thanks for that website, I am going to check it out now :)

No one jumped on you; you are overly sensitive to stranger's posts. Not sure what webpage you are thanking someone for, but suggest you not book on flightnetwork.com. Note the prices listed were $245 pp plus tax? I went to this webpage and total price for MCI-FLL-MCI on 01 Mar, return 09 Mar was $377.56. No bargain and these are consolidator tickets.

Use the matrix webpage, find the flights you like and book directly with the airlines.

No one jumped on you; you are overly sensitive to stranger's posts. Not sure what webpage you are thanking someone for, but suggest you not book on flightnetwork.com. Note the prices listed were $245 pp plus tax? I went to this webpage and total price for MCI-FLL-MCI on 01 Mar, return 09 Mar was $377.56. No bargain and these are consolidator tickets.

Use the matrix webpage, find the flights you like and book directly with the airlines.

what is the matrix webpage about?

what is the matrix webpage about?

matrix.itasoftware.com

It's just a search tool to find prices. Try it out. You then go to the airline's webpage with the information and book the flight you want (or use a TA if that's what you prefer).

can anyone ever ask a question here w/o being jumped on?
Yes, but it helps if you don't dramatise (let alone over-dramatise), and if you state facts comprehensibly. This, for example, was meaningless on its own: "finding airfare for lowest at $2000, highest $4000". How on earth were we supposed to know whether you're a family of three or a family of eight? It also helps to have a reasonable perspective. Thinking that you need never pay more than $250 per person is just setting yourself up for disappointment some day.

Archived