Question/concern about Vision of the Seas

I was just reading a review from this summer and the reviewer mentioned the Windjammer was closed from 5-6:30pm. Is this normal, or only on certain days (sea/port)? I'm looking at a fjord cruise for next year and since we sail from each port at 5 pm, I'm going to be hungry when I return to ship after an active day. That's prime dinner time for me.

I'm not questioning the reviewer's experience. I just don't remember the WJ being closed on my last cruise.

The Windjammer wil be closed, while they are preparing for dinner. But you will be able to get a a pre-dinner snack in the Solarium café, so please do not worry. Vision is a wonderful ship, and you will love to cruise at the fjords.

Tak. I guess a 6:30 opening also explains why it seems to be so crowded (according to reviews). I'm still undecided about this cruise. I'm sort of looking to see what people didn't like and determine if it's something I even care about. I'm usually pretty easy-going (I think) and low maintenance when I travel. I'm sure I'll find some Norwegian bakeries :)

there will be plenty open. Sorrentos, ice cream, room service. You won't go hungry.

On vision there is no Sorrentos or cafe promenade. Solarium cafe will have pizza, maybe burgers, hot dogs, fries and possibly pre made sandwiches too.

I thought that WJ opened for dinner at like 530? Maybe it's different for European sailings as they tend to dine later than us yanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Curious if anyone can tell me when the 2 formal nights were on the 10 day itinerary that just returned on Monday. Thanks for the help!

Lisa

Day 2, first sea day.

Day 9, first sea day after our last port stop at St. Kitts.

Great cruise and wishing the same for you.

On vision there is no Sorrentos or cafe promenade. Solarium cafe will have pizza, maybe burgers, hot dogs, fries and possibly pre made sandwiches too.

I thought that WJ opened for dinner at like 530? Maybe it's different for European sailings as they tend to dine later than us yanks!

On both legs of our October B2B, the Windjammer did not open for dinner until 6:30 but it didn't present a problem...we just ate lunch a little later either on the ship on sea days or in port.

If you go to dinner in the WJ, find Irish at the "stir fry" station....he is the greatest and the stir fry that he prepares is so good that it is the best food in the WJ at night.

The WJ also had bread pudding each night....it was very good.

We were on Vision in July. Windjammer did seem to be open later than I expected, 6:30 sounds about right. We did eat in the solarium for some snacks, they had the wonderful pre-made ham croissant sandwiches. The coffee bar/ben and jerrys had snacks too, but I had to buy a coffee/tea/ice cream to get the snack, but then we could have whatever we wanted. These were premium baked goods, much better than the hard as rock Windjammer cookies.

All that being said, we were in port so late most nights that it wasn't a problem that the Windjammer opened up later. Our problem was that sometimes we didn't make it there before it closed due to excursions, jet lag and both of us catching colds. :(

Don't forget room service is 24/7. On our cruise in March we had to utilize room service when we'd come back from the excursion as the WJ would be closed. I can't remember Europe. For some reason I thought we were always able to make it in there after an excursion.

Archived