Paris excursion

chime

It's where the executions connected to the French Revolution took place. The area was renamed "Place de la Révolution." The new revolutionary government erected the guillotine in the square, and it was here that King Louis XVI was executed on 21 January 1793. Other important figures guillotined on the site, often in front of cheering crowds, were Queen Marie Antoinette, Princess Élisabeth of France, Charlotte Corday, Madame du Barry, Georges Danton, Camille Desmoulins, Antoine Lavoisier, Maximilien Robespierre, Louis de Saint-Just and Olympe de Gouge.

Thanks for all the information. My thought is to have an overview and see if we think we can handle a week in Paris next spring. We hope to get an idea if it would be pretty easy to get around on our own.

Thanks for all the information. My thought is to have an overview and see if we think we can handle a week in Paris next spring. We hope to get an idea if it would be pretty easy to get around on our own.

Your week in Paris will in no way resembe three hours after getting dropped off at Place de la Concorde. It is very easy to get around on your own in Paris with the Metro or even see a great deal in a 25-30 minute from a well situated hotel. If you really want some kind of overview or to see Paris from a unique perspective for an hour or so, you might want to do a Seine River cruise on Bateaux Mouches or another line. If you are into the arts, the Orsay, which is a short walk from Place de la Concorde, is great for a couple of hours if you enjoy the French impressionists and van Gogh.

If you reconsider your port day, a day trip to Normandy and the D-Day beaches is a great and moving experience, especially with a good private company such as Overlord Tours. Either way, enjoy.

I agree with hubofhockey above -- it's not difficult to get around Paris on your own. The Metro is easy to use, plus you'll want to do a lot of walking, it's such an extraordinarily beautiful city.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

we were in paris for a week in 2001 - i was there for 3 - 3 day weekends in 1989 -

there is so much to see and do - spending a week this spring should be a marvelous time for you

we are taking 2 grandkids who will be 17 and 12 in 2016

paris walking tours gives amazing tours - usually 2 hrs - u meet them at a metro stop area -

pay the leader a small fee - do not have to prebook - check out their website for all the places they cover

rick steves paris has lots of info - he recommends staying in rue cler area

to feel more like you're living like a parisian

say bonjour and merci a lot and enjoy every moment !!;)

we were in paris for a week in 2001 - i was there for 3 - 3 day weekends in 1989 -

there is so much to see and do - spending a week this spring should be a marvelous time for you

we are taking 2 grandkids who will be 17 and 12 in 2016

paris walking tours gives amazing tours - usually 2 hrs - u meet them at a metro stop area -

pay the leader a small fee - do not have to prebook - check out their website for all the places they cover

rick steves paris has lots of info - he recommends staying in rue cler area

to feel more like you're living like a parisian

say bonjour and merci a lot and enjoy every moment !!;)

Can you please provide the exact name or website of the paris walking tours that you mentioned? A few different companies came up with variations of that name. Thanks alot!:)

We stayed in the Rue Cler area a few years ago a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower and loved it. The markets, cafes, street stands and bakeries were fabulous. This time we are going to try a different area closer to the main sites so we can walk more. Last time we took the metro alot to save time. That was a fun experience as well. I dont think you can go wrong no matter where one stays in Paris!

Can you please provide the exact name or website of the paris walking tours that you mentioned? A few different companies came up with variations of that name. Thanks alot!:)

We stayed in the Rue Cler area a few years ago a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower and loved it. The markets, cafes, street stands and bakeries were fabulous. This time we are going to try a different area closer to the main sites so we can walk more. Last time we took the metro alot to save time. That was a fun experience as well. I dont think you can go wrong no matter where one stays in Paris!

it is paris-walks.com by peter and oriel caine -

think they originally started london walks too

click on all their links to get all their helpful hints about paris -

lists of hotels in latin quarter & marais district where we stayed -

so much to see and do there - victor hugo home &

carnevalet(sp ?) museum is excellent

had not looked at their site for a few years and

am so wishing we were going there again before 2016 !!:D

it is paris-walks.com by peter and oriel caine -

think they originally started london walks too

click on all their links to get all their helpful hints about paris -

lists of hotels in latin quarter & marais district where we stayed -

so much to see and do there - victor hugo home &

carnevalet(sp ?) museum is excellent

had not looked at their site for a few years and

am so wishing we were going there again before 2016 !!:D

Thanks so much. Found it. I see you are going on a British Isles cruise in June. We are also going on a British Isles itinerary in Sept on Carnival. We are debarking in le havre and going onto Paris. We will pick out a few of those walking tours to do. Merci Beaucoup ;)

Thanks so much. Found it. I see you are going on a British Isles cruise in June. We are also going on a British Isles itinerary in Sept on Carnival. We are debarking in le havre and going onto Paris. We will pick out a few of those walking tours to do. Merci Beaucoup ;)

that carnival itin looks so wonderful also -

plus the roll call site is out of this world !

had considered that one & their baltic one

but could not go in sept as our cat sitter

will be away at that time & we take care of her 3 cats !!

have a marvelous time on the cruise and in paris !!!!

my granddaughter almost 9 cannot wait to go to paris in 2016 -

she has heard me rave about it sooooooo much !!!:D

Archived