How long to wait to book airline

hbrote

There is no golden rule. Nobody know what airfares will do.

I would watch the fares, checking them very regularly, making notes. Figure out what the trends might be. May select a possible trip a month before, and a month after your dates, just to see the trends.

Then, as Keith said, buy when you are happy with the fare.

Thanks for the quick replies folks...... My main problem is not really knowing what a good airfare would be. I guess I will keep KAYKing....

This is a good time to book. May thru Sept are not that cheap of a time to fly to Europe. Looks like you are flying to Venice and returning from Barcelona? From Seattle a fare of under $1000.00 would be great. Not sure from Georgia but id go on Expedia and plug it in and see what you get.

For us, we wanted nonstop from Philadelphia. We were limited to 2 flights, so I kept checking how many seats were left. When it got down to 20, I figured I'd better book. Sure enough, friends who tried to book the next week found the price up by over $100.

For us, we wanted nonstop from Philadelphia. We were limited to 2 flights, so I kept checking how many seats were left. When it got down to 20, I figured I'd better book. Sure enough, friends who tried to book the next week found the price up by over $100.

If you were using the "available seats" feature on an airline site, just be aware that isn't anywhere near an accurate indicator of how many seats are actually unsold.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I just wanted to make sure we got seats on that flight before it went up drastically or sold out. All in all, I was satisfied with what I paid. Our friends who tried to get that flight are actually now paying more for a one stop out of Philly than we did for our nonstop. (The flights are leaving within minutes of each other.)

Thanks to all for the help. I have booked our flights now and are now just waiting to go. One think I did check was the seat available on Expedia against the Airlines selection page. I found them to be the same while I selected my seats. I checked on Expedia after and they in fact reflected my seat selections. The seat selections were a major reason for booking the trip now, as I didn't want to be stuck in a middle seat. Perhaps some of these seats indicated as occupied are still in the hands of travel agents, I have no idea about that.

Archived