Breakaway, why such a boring cruise!?

Verfai

I understand and respect your opionion on that, but . . .

Your view of disappointment on that itinerary was my view of "Hey, get me on that ship to Bermuda now". I loved the itinerary, and booked almost immediately.:)

My suggestion for the 3 days would be to treat it like one of the older type Bermuda cruises and do spend one day in and around St. Georges (beach and tons of historic sites), another day in and around Hamilton (shopping, zoo and aquarium) and the third day near the dock yard (King's Wharf).(beaches - Horseshoe Bay and the rest of them up the coast) There is a snorkel park right where the boat docks and the naval dockyard and shopping malls all that you can walk to.. You still won't have time to see and do everything... also, since you are there overnight, you can enjoy some nightlife. We did a night Bermuda triangle tour in a glass bottom boat, it was a great time... (if you like a scarey adventure)... you can't do things like that if you leave a port at 5:00 pm. You can also come and go as you please. Even the ferry ride to St. Georges from King's Wharf is an excursion as you'll see so many of the beautiful homes along the coast. Now you have me dreaming of Bermuda!!

Thanks for the insights, I thing Bermuda is just not so advertised over here in central Europe….To me (except for the triangle and what I have read on these boards) its just blank, however I am open to new thigs, and since we have discovered cruises it gave us a lot of opportunities to discover parts of the world you would never do landed based :D, why I opened this thread :D Thats wht I ask for opionions ;)

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Here is just some of the things you can do in Bermuda:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35160010&postcount=4

Having sailed and stayed there over 20 times, we never get tired of going back. Actually, 3 days is not enough, we are used to only having one sea day going and one sea day returning!

P.S. Ships sailing from NY to Bermuda never enter the Bermuda Triangle! LOL

Having sailed and stayed there over 20 times, we never get tired of going back. Actually, 3 days is not enough, we are used to only having one sea day going and one sea day returning!

Will take a good look at this, thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by BadKitteh

I have been lurking on this thread as well. Have been considering a Bermuda cruise out of NYC with DH and we are late 20's so I don't want to be on a ship full of much much older folks and have the entertainment geared as such. Everyone keeps saying there is so much to do - okay...tell us what those things are.

Thanks for sharing my point :D

Perhaps you both would be better served on a Disney cruise :cool:

I'm getting bored with Celebrity and was considering NCL as an alternative, especially the Breakaway.

Not this itinerary. I guess I'll try the Epic, at least it goes to Europe.

Epic, well you read my fist post :D lol

I would consider her, but need something to pull me over the edge to actually go through and book her (in the Caribbean that is, we have had it with the Med by now ;) ).

Ideal, I would love to book Oasis or Allure somewhere Jan/Feb and go on Breakaway in September…still a lot in planning faze and a lot of external factors to take in account before able to effectively book the next cruise.

Quote: Originally Posted by BadKitteh

I have been lurking on this thread as well. Have been considering a Bermuda cruise out of NYC with DH and we are late 20's so I don't want to be on a ship full of much much older folks and have the entertainment geared as such. Everyone keeps saying there is so much to do - okay...tell us what those things are.

Perhaps you both would be better served on a Disney cruise :cool:

Huh!? Where does this flame come from!? We have no kids and am far from interested to pay 1000 Dollars more to see Mickey Mouse on older, smaller ships!?

Add us to the list of those who LOVE a cruise to Bermuda and hope to sail the Breakaway next summer. You should have no problem at all filling 3 days, we have been there for land vacations and were never bored. To start with, Bermuda is an extraordinarily beautiful island. Well kept pastel houses are everywhere, the landscaping and vegetation are phenomenal, and there is no poverty anywhere. It has a lovely, stately British ambiance which is very appealing those those of us from the US. Transportation is cheap and easy to negotiate if you are using the bus and ferry system, most people buy passes and you can get anywhere this way. We usually take the ferry to St George and spend a day in that lovely village either sightseeing, shopping or beaching at Tobacco Bay. Another day trip is usually to Hamilton by ferry, a bigger town with more energy. Another day can easily be spent at one of the south facing beaches like Horseshoe Bay. In addition, there are boat trips, snorkeling and diving to do, or an evening cruise. You can get off ship in the evenings, either right there at Kings Wharf or over to Hamilton. For most of the summer, there is an evening festival in Hamilton, easily accessible via ferry, I think it was on Wednesday but I might be wrong there. Plus, Breakaway will be a lively destination by itself. And, if you're coming from Europe, the NYC port gives you a chance to explore the city, New England, even Philadelphia and Washington. Plenty of opportunities, when you think about it.

And, if you're coming from Europe, the NYC port gives you a chance to explore the city, New England, even Philadelphia and Washington. Plenty of opportunities, when you think about it.

Thanks for all the Bermuda info, the trip from NYC is the reason we started looking at this cruise, flights from Brussels to NYC are at a very good price, and would LOVE to see Ney York. Plus compared to Florida, my girl does not really have any interest in a Disney world or anything else in that state (I do, but being the only one with an interest it’s just not all that, unless we should be able to get a group together with our friends here, which is highly unluckily).

Hmmmmm, Bermuda is to New Yorkers as a famous southern riviera is to Belgians. Rich in history and close proximity to our mainland, this island gem in the Atlantic has long been a vacation destination. Your Dubrovnik secret is our Bermuda secret. We do not find it boring and for many it is a repeat destination year after year. You will not find an "Ibiza" like party atmosphere in Bermuda during the evenings but the Breakaway ship nightlife should not disappoint.

1. The ship tours can give an overview of the island offerings.

2. The Bermuda boards on cruise critic can give a lot of ideas.

3. Read some of the Bermuda reviews in the cruise review section to get an idea of what people did in Bermuda.

For me, I enjoy all the different beaches. I enjoyed renting a bicycle and riding the island trail...some parts easy some parts not. Knowing the history of the island, I enjoy the various forts still present. The Bermudians are known to be the friendliest to their visitors. Most common method of getting around the island is by ferry or by bus. The charm and the adventure is experiencing both (although they do have taxis). Daredevils rent a moped for the three days and use that as their main transportation to travel all around the island.

I never even considered Bermuda years ago until I read a review that included pictures by our beloved cruise critic member Radio. Back then I realized I was missing out on something fabulous. I have gone six times since! The best part about being there for three days is you are not constantly checking your watch to be mindful of your return to the ship (except the last day prior to departure). Best wishes with your decision!

coka

we are sailing next Sept, cant wait !

Huh!? Where does this flame come from!? We have no kids and am far from interested to pay 1000 Dollars more to see Mickey Mouse on older, smaller ships!?

I'm also not interested in Disney Cruises, but ships like Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy are def not old (built 2010 and 2012) or small with 129.690 GT. :D

And back to the "Royal Promenade". This has never been RCI´s idea. It was created and developed by Stockholm based architects FFNS for finish-swedish Silja Line. Silja Line arranged a competition amongst architects to design the "Baltic ferry of tommorrow" at the end of 1986. Silja Serenade and Silja Symphony were born. Although now 22 years old these ships are still wonderful ... incredible ... love it (missing the melt-away smiley) :D

:)

As a New Yorker, there are just not many places that a ship can sail to from NY in a week. You have Bermuda, or the Bahamas and Florida. In the fall, the Breakaway will begin sailing to FLorida and the Bahamas, as they do now,

This ship is it's own destination. People in New York ARE sick of the same old ports (as are we with the Eastern and Western Caribbean), but unfortunately, it is what it is. Unless they start porting in new islands, or in new locations on the Eastern seaboard, this is it.

I do not care for Bermuda. I live on the beach, so seeing Bermudas beaches does nothing for me, and I've been to Bermuda enough to know there is nothing else for me to do there, I've seen it all. I know many people who love Bermuda, so it is simply a matter of opinion between those who don't care for it vs. those that love it. But Bermuda beaches are not very warm in the winter, so NCL at least moves further south once October and November arrive.

I have my FCC for the Breakway and will book her once she goes further south - just to sail the ship, not because of the destination.

I'm 27, and I did the Bermuda cruise this summer. I wasn't sure if I would like only going to one island for the cruise, but I had a great time! There was so much to do that we didn't have time to do everything we wanted. I wouldn't call it a boring cruise itinerary.

Also, there were a ton of young people on board. I think a lot of young couples and families who live in the North East took this trip because it is an easy and inexpensive way to go somewhere tropical. Most of the people on board that I met were from Massachusetts, young and old. I'd say mostly young.

Hey all,

First time poster in the NCL board :D, Been looking to try something different than RCI next year.

You don’t have to agree or not on following :p, just some inside info into my head ;).

NCL EPIC...Now on the inside she looks really intriguing, however in MY opinion…The person that designed the outside or overall look of the ship should be exiled to the moon.

Now Breakaway is a different story, she actually looks like a ship and I am totally in love the way NCL took RCI Royal promenade idea and turned it around into the open deck waterfront, we also love spa visits, we are defiantly food & drink lovers and she is sparkling brand new…So Breakaway sounds and looks very appealing!

However, we are “young” (cough) people, whilst we don’t do a lot of excursions we do like getting off the ship and wondering around, to end up back at the pool, loads of drinking and eating, night life and waking up (slowly) every morning at new location...

When looking at the cruises Breakaway is going to do, it is SUCH a disappointment!

5 months of nonstop: NY->2 sea days->3 days Bermuda->sea day->NY…Really NCL!?

I have found a similar thread, but I am more interested on WHY NCL would take their newest most advanced, with new venues ship to do such a boring cruise, who actually wants to do this or what are their target passengers???

If you have booked this cruise, no offence intended but I am curious to what your plan is on this cruise. What to do 3 days in a row in Bermuda?

Now the tour she will be doing as of October 2013 looks better, but still not really my dream route.

Greets

most cruiselines reposition their ships in the spring and summer, to either Alaska or Bermuda. A few will leave for the Med. And they usually do this from late April or May until Sept or early Oct. Yes, to many Bermuda might seem boring, but it is one of the most sought after itineraries there is, so I guees people enjoy the sea days and the relaxation. If sounds like you will not be the type to enjoy her until she finishes her jaunt to Bermuda. What else can anyone say?

Ow I had not even thought about the money loss due to staying three days in Bermuda, we would indeed spend more money ashore on drinks and food…That is very strange for a cruise linger to do indeed!?

For three days Bermuda, I would personally prefer to pay for a land based stay… Why pay for a cruise, which the entire point is that the ship actually moves around, instead of staying in only one place, like you to said.

For me, if they really want the Bermuda option in there, at least switch between one week Bermuda, every other week the Florida cruise.

AS I just mentioned, check the other lines, Bermuda is a very popular destination. No, it isn't for everyone, but it draws a lot of cruisers and cruise lines.

About New York as a home port. Many New Yorkers complain about the limited itineraries, but only Florida home ports closer to the Caribbean have more itineraries from the United States. There are summer cruises to Bermuda and Canada, there are yearly cruises to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. Some cruise lines reach further south into the Caribbean from New York more often than NCL, but those itineraries are longer. Next winter the Sun will be doing Southern Caribbean cruises weekly from Miami. If you wish to see that itinerary please book it.

Weekly cruises outsell two week cruises, so most of the larger ships do weekly or less lengthly cruises. The smaller ships which don't sell as well tend to do the longer two week or longer cruises outside reposition cruises. Not only are weekly cruises cheaper, more folks take one week vacations at a time than two week vacations, well, in the United States. Face it, Carnival is making a fortune doing 4 and 5 day cruises, even shorter itineraries, just to keep the price low.

Hey all,

First time poster in the NCL board :D, Been looking to try something different than RCI next year.

You don’t have to agree or not on following :p, just some inside info into my head ;).

NCL EPIC...Now on the inside she looks really intriguing, however in MY opinion…The person that designed the outside or overall look of the ship should be exiled to the moon.

Now Breakaway is a different story, she actually looks like a ship and I am totally in love the way NCL took RCI Royal promenade idea and turned it around into the open deck waterfront, we also love spa visits, we are defiantly food & drink lovers and she is sparkling brand new…So Breakaway sounds and looks very appealing!

However, we are “young” (cough) people, whilst we don’t do a lot of excursions we do like getting off the ship and wondering around, to end up back at the pool, loads of drinking and eating, night life and waking up (slowly) every morning at new location...

When looking at the cruises Breakaway is going to do, it is SUCH a disappointment!

I have found a similar thread, but I am more interested on WHY NCL would take their newest most advanced, with new venues ship to do such a boring cruise, who actually wants to do this or what are their target passengers???

If you have booked this cruise, no offence intended but I am curious to what your plan is on this cruise. What to do 3 days in a row in Bermuda?

Now the tour she will be doing as of October 2013 looks better, but still not really my dream route.

Greets

We have been to Bermuda a few times, there is plenty to do and the Bermuda board is full of info. We are booked on the Bahamas run. For us, the ship is the destination. We love the shows, the bars and are lookng forward to this new ship. We have things we plan on doing at our ports of call so we are good. There is a spa in Nassau to die for, which I love. My DH son lives near the port in Florida. Best of all, no flying. :D

As a New Yorker, there are just not many places that a ship can sail to from NY in a week. You have Bermuda, or the Bahamas and Florida. In the fall, the Breakaway will begin sailing to FLorida and the Bahamas, as they do now,

This ship is it's own destination. People in New York ARE sick of the same old ports (as are we with the Eastern and Western Caribbean), but unfortunately, it is what it is. Unless they start porting in new islands, or in new locations on the Eastern seaboard, this is it.

I do not care for Bermuda. I live on the beach, so seeing Bermudas beaches does nothing for me, and I've been to Bermuda enough to know there is nothing else for me to do there, I've seen it all. I know many people who love Bermuda, so it is simply a matter of opinion between those who don't care for it vs. those that love it. But Bermuda beaches are not very warm in the winter, so NCL at least moves further south once October and November arrive.

I have my FCC for the Breakway and will book her once she goes further south - just to sail the ship, not because of the destination.

NCL have done 10-11 day itineraries from New York to the Virgin Islands. To reach one more port south involves another two nights added to the itinerary. Another two ports south involves another four nights added to the itinerary. While NCL can book a huge ship with a 7 day itinerary, NCL would have to discount heavily to book a huge ship with a 14 day itinerary. Not good business.

If you wish for more exotic itineraries, book Oceania or another very expensive cruise on a smaller ship. That is their bread and butter whereas NCL is a mass market less expensive cruise line.

Hi all!

I'm just thinking of booking Breakaway & what's drawing me to it is the fact that it sails from New York City, such an exciting place to spend a couple of days pre or post cruise plus within reach of millions of people.

The ship is new & has different features from the Epic which I loved. I had to do 3 cruises on her to see all that was offered. The entertainment & dining options will be fab!

Bermuda which never interested me before has more appeal after reading some CC reviews of it.

Today on my USA Today app Kevin Sheehan & other companie's CEOs were talking about the future of cruising & he mentionned some attractions.

HAL & RCI are each withdrawing a ship from the market btw.

Also the no gambling while in port might turn off some people but you can gamble on the sea days down & back.

If only the prices weren't so high I'd be booked already!:o

~ Jo ~ :)

I am in my late 20s and my husband is in his early 30s. i didn't think I would enjoy my Bermuda cruise, but I did immensely- moreso maybe than several of my other cruises

To me, it is the best of a cruise and a land based trip combined. Long relaxing sea days, followed by 3 glorious days on one of the most welcoming islands I've ever seen! It's definitely a different kind of cruise, and we enjoyed it so much. No worries about having to rush back to the ship, really getting to explore the local culture, and getting to live the island life. We used the ship as "home base" and returned for lunch every day, and ate most of the dinners on the ship.

We are booked on the Breakaway next May, and I cannot wait.

There is SO much to do- historical sites, harbor nights, snorkeling, shopping, museums. I had a list of free attractions my last trip and we only got through half of them!

I don't think you read my post. I said I do not care for Bermuda. I am a travel agent, I certainly know where I can book exotic itineraries, it just doesn't happen on a 7 night cruise leaving from New York.

I am booking the Breakaway when it changes to the Florida/Bahamas itinerary, which I have sailed on and enjoy much more than Bermuda. The ship in itself is a destination.

I also don't like small ships or 14day cruises, so Oceania is not for me. There are plenty of market lines doing exotic itineraries from other ports besides Oceania.

If you wish for more exotic itineraries, book Oceania or another very expensive cruise on a smaller ship. That is their bread and butter whereas NCL is a mass market less expensive cruise line.

Hey all,

Greets

Bermuda isn't boring. Bahamas aren't either. They're NCL's "bread and butter" itineraries for ships based from New York City. NCL will not have much difficulty selling these itineraries out. That's why NCL made long term deals with both the Bahamas and Bermuda governments. And that's what they should be doing with their largest ships, putting them on their "bread and butter" cruises. If they wanted to risk sending ships on new itineraries, surely it makes more sense to do so with a smaller ship at first - not their largest.

I don't think many New Yorkers learn much math in school. NCL already maximizes distance and reach for a 7 night cruise with their Florida and Bahamas itineraries. It takes a 10 to 11 night cruise to reach the Virgin Islands, and surely another 2 more nights, one going to and another coming back from, to reach one more port further south into the Caribbean. These ships are limited to a max of 24 knots in sprints, with cruising speeds over 2 nights at 20 knots. They can't go 30+ knots speeds of Navy ships, they don't have the propulsion power nor an unlimited budget to do so.

Archived