Carnival spirit

Ned49

Just off Carnival Spirit, will not be going on her again will stick to RCI. 1000 kids on board according to staff, some good things but not many. Food cold and poor quality, entertainment not good. Not sure where the fun was.:confused:

Just off Carnival Spirit, will not be going on her again will stick to RCI. 1000 kids on board according to staff, some good things but not many. Food cold and poor quality, entertainment not good. Not sure where the fun was.:confused:

Do they make the dinning room waiters stand on the tables every night and dance in those silly red bolero outfits like on US Carnival lol.

I read many reviews about cold food on carnival US before I cruised with them but didnt once experience it myself,although main dinning room food was pretty bland with choices not so great and way too much deep fried food,have the food choices in MRD been Australianized? if so that would be a plus in my book!

Carnival ships are "Fun Ships" so you should expect lots of kids on all Spirit cruises out of Australia, My cruise on The Splendor was full of kids but we stuck to mainly adult areas and although we see hordes of them when embarking we hardly noticed them during the cruise as they stayed around the main pool and free burgers/pizzas near the main pool.

I did notice a lack of day time activities/ entertainment on Splendor but most US carnival cruises are much shorter than Australian cruises,maybe Carnival Australia needs to also Australianize daily activities given we usually have more sea days before we reach most stops?

Den

There were a lot of kids (579) I was told. We had 10 kids under 15 in our group. Kids rated it 8-9 out of ten, I would say 7.5 -8.0 . I wouldn't choose it if I didn't have kids with me, but Its definately great for kids !

I will post a full review in the next few days with prices, etc but for now no regrets although we could not port in Mare due to big swells.

Please post any specific questions and I will answer in the next few day.

There were a lot of kids (579) I was told. We had 10 kids under 15 in our group. Kids rated it 8-9 out of ten, I would say 7.5 -8.0 . I wouldn't choose it if I didn't have kids with me, but Its definately great for kids !

I will post a full review in the next few days with prices, etc but for now no regrets although we could not port in Mare due to big swells.

Please post any specific questions and I will answer in the next few day.

As there for such confusion prior to your cruise, would like to know what was in the mini-bar :) and all the positives of your cruise. Thanks in advance.

I know I've said it before but I promise my review of our Spirit cruise is coming (we're in the middle of packing up our lives here in Adelaide and moving interstate). Urgh, I hate moving!

Anyhoo, we experienced the same sorts of lacklustre entertainment when we were on board. The P&O Australia entertainment leaves the Carnival daytime entertainment for dead. I thought with Carnival Australia managing the ship now that it would improve but apparently not. And the parties they had on board our cruise were mainly an excuse for the entertainment staff to entertain themselves.

We enjoyed our food in the MDR, buffet was good most of the time, steakhouse was amazing! Our cabin steward and the waitstaff in the MDR were amazing - very attentive! And they made them all do the dancing between main course and dessert. it got a bit much after a while. i think with that you either love it or hate it. Some of the drinks waitstaff were a bit hit or miss with the service. Once they figured out you had a bottomless bubbles sticker, they usually kept away from you because there was no 15% gratuity in it for them.

I really hope Carnival Australia gets feedback from people on their experiences. For the most part, we enjoyed our cruise. And we wouldn't let little things ruin the whole cruise for us (the ports we went to and the tours we did were great as well). But it certainly wasn't the best cruise we've been on and we probably won't go on the Spirit again.:)

For those recently cruised on Spirit out of Aus:

Is the adult only Serenity charged and if so how much?

Is their a default daily gratuity / hotel charge and if so how much per adult and per child?

How much were photo's, the usual $20 charge?

What were the shows like, especially the cabaret acts?

How much is a standard beer, spirit, glass of wine and soft drinks? How much is a proper barista coffee? Do they offer a coffee card?

How is the Cruise Director Stu?

Where did you receive outstanding service and where was it lacking?

Are their laundromats onboard or only option for laundry is paid service and if so how much does that cost?

thanks!

The P&O Australia entertainment leaves the Carnival daytime entertainment for dead

Not on my recent Pacific Jewel Bounty Adventure cruise! I have always advocated P&O's entertainment (not their food or ships :p:p) and was bitterly disappointed with what they offered (or not offered) on our cruise...........my review is still being penned (or typed :D)

For those recently cruised on Spirit out of Aus:

Is the adult only Serenity charged and if so how much?

Is their a default daily gratuity / hotel charge and if so how much per adult and per child?

How much were photo's, the usual $20 charge?

What were the shows like, especially the cabaret acts?

How much is a standard beer, spirit, glass of wine and soft drinks? How much is a proper barista coffee? Do they offer a coffee card?

How is the Cruise Director Stu?

Where did you receive outstanding service and where was it lacking?

Are their laundromats onboard or only option for laundry is paid service and if so how much does that cost?

thanks!

No charge for Serenity. No gratuity charge. Photos $14 95 to $29.95. There was a couple of shows, Hypnotist, a few comedians and there stage shows. A beer is $6.95 or $7.95. Cocktails $8 to 10.50. Glass of wine $7.50 up. Spirits $6.95 up plus mix. No coffee card. Stu is not good. Good service was cabin staff. Didn't use laundromat, they did a wash and fold for $15.

Got sick of hearing Aussie Aussie Aussie. There is a mini bar in the rooms.

Hope this helps

Ned, could you please tell us what was in the mini bar?

Mini bar had 6 beers some soft drink and miniature spirits it was quite well stocked, same prices as bars. I only ordered hot tea from room service once that was $3 and took for ever to arrive so didn't bother again. There was a soda package that you could buy not sure of price though. No wine package. Bottles of wine $30 up for white, Hubby found a Shiraz for $22.

Hope this helps. Carnival is great if you have kids, if we had gone 20 years ago with our 3 kids we would have loved it the food at lunch time was very kid friendly, chips burgers pies sausages. There was a chop sticks which was O K. Tried dinning room once but like night time food was cold.

Edited by Ned49

Curious to know, is the room service charge of $3 levied per order? Or is it $3 per item ordered as someone had previously intimated? I would not baulk at $3 per order because that would be similar to tipping, but if it is $3 per item....

Curious to know, is the room service charge of $3 levied per order? Or is it $3 per item ordered as someone had previously intimated? I would not baulk at $3 per order because that would be similar to tipping, but if it is $3 per item....

Just looking at room service menu now, we never ordered room service, so I can't be 100% sure but the in room menu doesn't mention any fees just the price per item. I would assume there is no fee to deliver. Not a big menu either. Soups & salads choose either wonton noodle soup, classic caesar salad or greek salad $ 3.00 per item - add chicken to salad for extra $2. Assorted pies or sandwiches to choose from $ 5.00 per item. Pizza from deck 9 pizza bar $ 5.00 each. They are about the size of a dinner plate, wood fired style - quite yum. Desserts - choc cake, cookies or fruit salad $ 3.00. Drinks - juice, tea, coffee hot choc $ 3.00. Continental breaky available too- Fruits/cereals $ 2.00 per item. Yoghurt $2.00. Toast/muffins/bagel $ 3.00 item and drinks as above. Hope this helps:)

Just looking at room service menu now, we never ordered room service, so I can't be 100% sure but the in room menu doesn't mention any fees just the price per item. I would assume there is no fee to deliver. Not a big menu either. Soups & salads choose either wonton noodle soup, classic caesar salad or greek salad $ 3.00 per item - add chicken to salad for extra $2. Assorted pies or sandwiches to choose from $ 5.00 per item. Pizza from deck 9 pizza bar $ 5.00 each. They are about the size of a dinner plate, wood fired style - quite yum. Desserts - choc cake, cookies or fruit salad $ 3.00. Drinks - juice, tea, coffee hot choc $ 3.00. Continental breaky available too- Fruits/cereals $ 2.00 per item. Yoghurt $2.00. Toast/muffins/bagel $ 3.00 item and drinks as above. Hope this helps:)
Are you serious!? If we'd paid for all that whilst on board, our bill would've been huge! Sorry, but that's a joke!

Unique way to get around the Aussie "no tipping culture". Just charge for the food instead! Maybe they think they are a hotel, not a ship where the price of food, and service, is included in the fare.

Edited by MMDown Under

OMG!!!!!!!:eek::eek: And it's not like the fares are super cheap either!

Yep. I can understand maybe a fee per order (replaces the tipping), but to charge for food that has supposedly been inclusive in the cost of the cruise is a bit rude!