I want to throw up!

sarahleebones

We just got off the Glory this morning. It is just crew on board now and I am sure that they have all gone through worse. It certainly was bearable. A lot of people were sick but the movement wasnt all that bad. The fact that it was non stop for 3.5 days was what was awful. We couldn't catch a break.

Looks too close for comfort now for even the sea legged crew..bad conversion of 2 big weather systems and has not happened before in computer recorded history..yikes..prayers to them..what a situation that hey had to go back out...

We just got off the Glory this morning. It is just crew on board now and I am sure that they have all gone through worse. It certainly was bearable. A lot of people were sick but the movement wasnt all that bad. The fact that it was non stop for 3.5 days was what was awful. We couldn't catch a break.

OMG! So all cruisers are off and only staff on board now?

That sucks that you got off early. And even worse that it was so crappy :( Did Carnival make arrangements to get you all back to Norfolk/Home?

That sucks that you got off early. And even worse that it was so crappy :( Did Carnival make arrangements to get you all back to Norfolk/Home?

Yeah, they changed and cancelled ports, got 'em back to Norfolk before doing a turn and burn to head back out to sea and on the way to their scheduled drydock. The last Glory cruise before drydock was cancelled.

The Glory came into Norfolk today - it was supposed to be tomorrow. We saw it leave this evening and the 10/28 cruise is cancelled. So only crew are on board.

I'm sure it is best to not have passengers on board considering this storm. I'm sure all the bars are locked down so glasses and bottles do not go flying. All deck chairs are secured and I'm sure they had to secure many other items in the ship to prevent damage.

I can't imagine if they had left with the next set of passengers. I think a lot of people would have been sick and stuck in their rooms. It wouldn't have been fun.

As for the crew, this is what they do for a living. Am I concerned for them? Yes. But I also think this is good practice for them.

Where is the dry dock for the Glory going to be? Is it Norfolk? We've seen other ships do dry dock there - Disney and RCCL.

I am fortunate to not get sea sick but a lot of people and the other couple we cruised with were very sick.

Carnival gave people phone calls to cancel excursions and change flight plans but the lines were long. We drove to port so we didnt have any trouble but anyone who didnt book flights thorough Carnival was basically on their own.

I didnt think the storm was too bad, it definitely could have been worse but it was nice to come home early. A lot of people cheered when the captain announced it. When you walked around alot of people looked miserable. It would have been okay if it was sunny but it was all rain and rocking & rolling.

The Glory came into Norfolk today - it was supposed to be tomorrow. We saw it leave this evening and the 10/28 cruise is cancelled. So only crew are on board.

I'm sure it is best to not have passengers on board considering this storm. I'm sure all the bars are locked down so glasses and bottles do not go flying. All deck chairs are secured and I'm sure they had to secure many other items in the ship to prevent damage.

I can't imagine if they had left with the next set of passengers. I think a lot of people would have been sick and stuck in their rooms. It wouldn't have been fun.

As for the crew, this is what they do for a living. Am I concerned for them? Yes. But I also think this is good practice for them.

Where is the dry dock for the Glory going to be? Is it Norfolk? We've seen other ships do dry dock there - Disney and RCCL.

Drydock is going to be in Freeport.

Just looking at the position of the Glory and Hurricane Sandy wants to make me hurl. I feel terrible for all on board right now. Hope they have a quick and safe trip back to Norfolk!

sandyglory.JPG

I saw your post on the Glory cancelled thread about 4 pm.. so you saw that the next cruise on Glory was cancelled right??

But the crew might be seasick .. I did have a seasick brand new cabin steward once.

I'm a little skeptical on the positioning of that map. According to the marine traffic site I look at, it's position is off the coast of Corolla, NC. This being sent out a couple mins ago.

I'm thinking if it set off for Freeport, it probably did so without (most of) the refurb staff/equipment. I imagine since she'll be there early, it can be arranged there.

Oh yeah I knew the next voyage was cancelled but thought the current cruise was returning today. I didn't realize they did a drop and are actually turning back. When I saw the location I figured they were just ahead of the storm.

Either way it would suck to be on board right now. However the crew can probably deal with the motion better than guests. Glad everyone got back safely.

I'm a little skeptical on the positioning of that map. According to the marine traffic site I look at, it's position is off the coast of Corolla, NC. This being sent out a couple mins ago.

I'm thinking if it set off for Freeport, it probably did so without (most of) the refurb staff/equipment. I imagine since she'll be there early, it can be arranged there.

Ooooooooh can you post a link? If there's a site with more accuracy I'd love to have it!

Back in 2004 I took my parents on a cruise. There was a tropical storm and for whatever reason the Captain did not sail out of it, it was really bad. Just one day, but it seemed most everyone & much of the crew were sick. They even closed the MDR.

My Dad may have been one of the few who unfazed by it. He used to be in the Navy, stationed in the bridge. Said he had seen worse!

Wow, that's quite a dramatic picture.

However, if you read a little further doen that webpage, you'll see that the ship's position was last broadcast on Oct 26 at 1000 UTC. Sandy was somewhere around the Bahamas at that time.

Wow, that's quite a dramatic picture.

However, if you read a little further doen that webpage, you'll see that the ship's position was last broadcast on Oct 26 at 1000 UTC. Sandy was somewhere around the Bahamas at that time.

Since I was onboard I can assure you that Sandy was not in the Bahamas. The storm was quite large and was already up the coast of Florida. We felt it the entire day on the 26th and we left Nassau at 8 pm on the 24th.

Just looking at the position of the Glory and Hurricane Sandy wants to make me hurl. I feel terrible for all on board right now. Hope they have a quick and safe trip back to Norfolk!

sandyglory.JPG

Something's wrong. The Glory is and was already in port when you posted this pic. And will stay there till the storm passes.

http://www.thecruisevillage.com/live-cruise-ship-tracker.phtml

Try that. Glory is just hanging out off the coast

I am super confused....not sure what site's the best to try to track this stuff. I have two sites showing the same thing. Is it possible that it headed back out of Norfolk yesterday but then turned around? I know these sites aren't showing the itinerary route as I tracked the Miracle back to NY and it's there now and we all know it wasn't due back til tomorrow so there's got to be some type of accuracy to them.

I am super confused....not sure what site's the best to try to track this stuff. I have two sites showing the same thing. Is it possible that it headed back out of Norfolk yesterday but then turned around? I know these sites aren't showing the itinerary route as I tracked the Miracle back to NY and it's there now and we all know it wasn't due back til tomorrow so there's got to be some type of accuracy to them.

Its essentially the same program on thecruisevillage.com and marinetraffic.com being used to track the ships. The port webcam sites use it as well.

The ship is probably doing loops. I doubt now, that Glory will head directly Freeport and instead wait for Norfolk to reopen. That way the supplies and crew for refurb can come aboard.

Thanks for your assurance, agc291, but according to the National Hurricane Center, on Oct 26 at 11AM EDT, Sandy was located 60 mi north of Great Abaco Island, which is an island in the .................................. BAHAMAS! At that time, Sandy was 460 mi SSE of Charleston, SC.

Now, as Sandy was a large storm, I'm not doubting you felt the effects that day. What I was pointing out was that when the Glory reported its position on Oct 26, the eye of the storm didn't reach that position until 2 days later.

The picture made it appear that the eye of the storm and the ship were in the same vicinity, which wasn't the case. A cruise ship can easily outrun a hurricane.

Archived