Sensation delayed by huge swells. Carnival does not update.

Palmerfamily

Heard from my son and daughter-in-law this morning that the Sensation, which was due in at Port Canaveral this morning, is only off Ft. Lauderdale and experiencing 30 foot swells. Very uncomfortable. Carnival has posted on their website that the Sensation cruise set to leave today will be delayed until tomorrow. I wish they would post information about cruises that are delayed in coming back to port. I was to pick them up and the cruise line did not notify family. We still do not know whether they will be able to get into Port Canaveral tomorrow.

A website that locates ships at sea shows about 5 cruise ships in the vicinity of the Sensation.

Heard from my son and daughter-in-law this morning that the Sensation, which was due in at Port Canaveral this morning, is only off Ft. Lauderdale and experiencing 30 foot swells. Very uncomfortable. Carnival has posted on their website that the Sensation cruise set to leave today will be delayed until tomorrow. I wish they would post information about cruises that are delayed in coming back to port. I was to pick them up and the cruise line did not notify family. We still do not know whether they will be able to get into Port Canaveral tomorrow.

A website that locates ships at sea shows about 5 cruise ships in the vicinity of the Sensation.

I thought that was posted with the update on Carnival's website this morning that Sensation was delayed by weather and would not be in until tomorrow morning. At least that was the way I read it when I saw it this morning. See no reason why she wouldn't be in tomorrow.

I understand the situation and Carnival posted it online and John posted it on his FB page. The problem is how is Carnival to know the transportation plans of every passenger and the contact numbers. The ship would have many passengers that will have to make phone calls to change travel plans; therefore, anyone who is having family/friends pick them up have the chance to make a phone call home and say that the ship is staying at sea for one more day for safety reasons. Please pick us up tomorrow. Carnival would be expected to cover the expense of phone calls or internet time to make other arrangements

Anyone who travels during hurricane season has to expect that there is a 50% chance there will be a problem. This is one case where Hurricane Sandy is the 50% chance. I cruised in September and was watching the NOAA website for storms, thankfully we were the 50% who had no problems.

Sit tight, wait for your family on the ship to call you with revised times

There was a hurricane, obviously ships are going to be impacted. Check the site, call if you feel the need. It is not their responsibility to call every person who is picking someone up from port. They have bigger things to deal with in situations like this...

Your son is on board, contacted you. Why didn't HE tell you?:confused:

I know when our Elation cruise this August was delayed for a daycoming back into NOLA Carnival opened up the phone lines for people to make phone calls. I didn't have anyone to call so I have no personal experience, but I was told the it took a while to get calls made because so many were trying to call home. Hopefully you will hear from your family soon and everyone makes it back into port safe and sound.

I agree that ccl should be updating their websites for the people at home. I bought a text messaging package and text one family member that passed information along. Your son most likely has no idea what is going on. We were told at about 8pm on Friday that we would be in port by 11am on Saturday.

Oh and john is a cruise director that has a blog that is linked from the carnival website homepage.

that was posted this afternoon. And it was regarding the departure of the Sensation on Monday, not on the expected arrival of the Sensation.

Common sense {that thing some people lack} would dictate that if next outgoing cruise is delayed by 1 day then the incoming cruise will be delayed arriving by 1 day.

To be honest only the people onboard need to know this information. If your family contacted you and did not inform you then that is on your family not Carnival.

Unfortunately storms are unpredictable, CCL did not know yet what the outcome would be until this morning, just like the mayor of NJ just said, he went to bed being told the basin would be fine and woke up to OH no, its not going to be fine.

Sounds like you are worried about your family out there in rough seas, its normal to get a little excited, the ship will be fine, they are trained for this, they are moving at 10 knots in rough seas so it will take till tomorrow to get here and your family will probably have some great stories to tell. :)

Here is a link showing expected arrival time just zero in on Sensation and over the boat and info will pop up for you.

http://www.thecruisevillage.com/live-cruise-ship-tracker.phtml

Happy Sailing,

I wasn't concerned for the inconvenience, I live 20 miles from the port and cruise often. My concern was for the safety of my family with NO updates on the website. Most people, NOT Me, trust the cruise lines not to place them in harm's way. I pleaded with them not to go and told them that the ships would sail no matter what. I heard on these boards that the Disney ship arrived late and damaged. That ship looks twice the size of the Sensation. I guess all these passengers learned the hard way. Cruise lines will give you the cruise from Hell to keep from cancelling. All this is coming from a person who loves to cruise and has tried to encourage everyone I know to take cruise vacations. You just have to be old and wise enough to protect yourself. Once you're on that ship, you have no control. I am praying for a safe return for the passengers on the Sensation. If they should lose power, they would really be in trouble. It is a serious situation and should have been considered by the powers that be at Carnival.

Now that was a reasonsable well thought out post that I as a Mother can understand and empathize with!

They will make sure to get your family home safe because they will not risk putting thier ship and passangers in harms way.

Wishing you and yours well!

Reader

I wasn't concerned for the inconvenience, I live 20 miles from the port and cruise often. My concern was for the safety of my family with NO updates on the website. Most people, NOT Me, trust the cruise lines not to place them in harm's way. I pleaded with them not to go and told them that the ships would sail no matter what. I heard on these boards that the Disney ship arrived late and damaged. That ship looks twice the size of the Sensation. I guess all these passengers learned the hard way. Cruise lines will give you the cruise from Hell to keep from cancelling. All this is coming from a person who loves to cruise and has tried to encourage everyone I know to take cruise vacations. You just have to be old and wise enough to protect yourself. Once you're on that ship, you have no control. I am praying for a safe return for the passengers on the Sensation. If they should lose power, they would really be in trouble. It is a serious situation and should have been considered by the powers that be at Carnival.

I was in over 25 ft waves for over 24 hours my very first cruise .. on Ecstasy out of Galveston, nothing special storm going on.. just big waves.

The ship can easily handle 30 ft waves.. we had waves high enough they were hitting the port hole windows I was in for over 24 hours.

Im sorry you think 30 ft waves are so bad that the ship could lose power.. but this kind of thing happens pretty often .. and I can tell you from experience .. this size ship can handle them just fine.

quit worrying.

A friend of mine is working on that ship currently. Yes there was damage, but it was just unsecured deck furniture as well as broken plates and such in the dining room and things that fell off the shelves in the shops. The ship got thrown around, but was not in danger. I can respect that you're concerned, but honestly lets give the Captain and his crew some credit. As firefly333 has said, the ships can easily handle this. They'll arrive delayed, but safe and sound. Trust me, safety is of the utmost importance. Carnival wouldn't want the ship or anyone on it damaged. Just keep watching the updates and don't get a bee in your bonnet over the "what ifs"

I hope your son, wife and everyone at sea makes it in ok.

We were on the Disney Dream and departed shortly after the Sensation on Thursday. A few hours later we passed them as we hugged the coast of Florida heading south to try and stay out of the worst of the storm. Where did they go? It sounds like they did the smart thing and stayed South out of the storm? We spent two days bouncing around in it and then it got even worse last night as we headed to Port Canaveral.

Archived