Akaroa or Christchurch for families?

villauk

Not sure what to do in Akaroa :confused:? We are a family of four and have been considering what to do about visiting Christchurch or staying in/around Akaroa.

I've investigated the Red Bus shuttle that transits from Akaroa directly into Christchurch, however as it leaves at 3pm, it wouldn't give us that much time in Christchurch itself. We did want to visit the Antarctic Centre, but that is approx another 30mins out of the city and so another hour off our time. Celebrity do offer a tour with the aviation museum included, however the cost for the four of us is double what we'd pay with the Red Bus plus admission to the Centre - I'm talking hundreds of pounds :eek:.

Is it worth going into Christchurch or would we be better staying around Akaroa? Do we book the ship's excursion of basically just the shuttle into Christchurch? I do have concerns as most of the private shuttles only have one bus back from Christchurch - no backup! Again, the ship's shuttle price is double that of the Red Bus cost.

We don't want to travel all the way to NZ and then miss something definitely worth seeing. If we didn't do the Antarctic Centre, is there something else we shouldn't miss? Punting down the river will not be sufficient for the children (something we can do on the River Avon over here).

Would really welcome any advice. Many thanks.

Christchurch is a good hour's drive from/to Akaroa and once you get there much of the city is off limits due to continuing safety issues from the major 2011 earthquake. If you do decide to go, double check with whichever tour operator you use exactly what you will and won't see. Akaroa is a charming little town with spectacular scenary but it's not a big city with lots of thrills for the kids. New Zealand isn't that kind of place anyway. Check out local dolphin/wildlife watching tours which are worthwhile but only you know your kids and their boredom threshold.

Check out the Things to di in Akaroa on the tourist web site for the area.

http://www.akaroa.com/things-to-do

Some of the best activities are based around the harbour, dolphins and other wildlife - fishing if that would interest your family. There will be tours on sale when you tender ashore but the more popular tours - dolphin swimming - for example may sell out on line ahead. When we went ashore this year the tours on offer included a trip to Christchurch in a large limo style car.

Not sure what to do in Akaroa :confused:? We are a family of four and have been considering what to do about visiting Christchurch or staying in/around Akaroa.

I've investigated the Red Bus shuttle that transits from Akaroa directly into Christchurch, however as it leaves at 3pm, it wouldn't give us that much time in Christchurch itself. We did want to visit the Antarctic Centre, but that is approx another 30mins out of the city and so another hour off our time. Celebrity do offer a tour with the aviation museum included, however the cost for the four of us is double what we'd pay with the Red Bus plus admission to the Centre - I'm talking hundreds of pounds :eek:.

Is it worth going into Christchurch or would we be better staying around Akaroa? Do we book the ship's excursion of basically just the shuttle into Christchurch? I do have concerns as most of the private shuttles only have one bus back from Christchurch - no backup! Again, the ship's shuttle price is double that of the Red Bus cost.

We don't want to travel all the way to NZ and then miss something definitely worth seeing. If we didn't do the Antarctic Centre, is there something else we shouldn't miss? Punting down the river will not be sufficient for the children (something we can do on the River Avon over here).

Would really welcome any advice. Many thanks.

Hi

We have cruised to NZ a number of times and visited Akaroa and Christchurch.

we loved Akaroa, but I am not sure whether the kids would in the same way. There is an old open topped London Bus based there that does tours and a number of other options, but the appeal of the place is more for us older folk.

In Christchurch however you are right in wanting to go to the Antarctic Centre. It is fabulous and the kids (and you) will love it.

I had a quick squizz and found the following:

http://www.nzshoreexcursions.com/ViewServices/ServiceDetails.aspx?ID=26666&IDL=204&IDType=4226&SID=4031&q=1

Prices are not that bad and include admission to the Antarctic Centre. They will get you back to the shp in plenty of time.

cheers

As mentioned much of Christchurch is off limits.

If you have a cruise coming up I would not travel over there.

Keith

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think Keith has confirmed my decision not to travel into Christchurch but to stay around Akaroa. I'll take a look at the link cjm66 posted (thank you); perhaps a farm visit or nature cruise would be better suited for the family.

• 3 weeks later...

Akaroa is a beautiful little town. We went on a tour with Blackcat Cruises (booked thru the cruise line). Saw lots of wildlife and interesting rock formations since the harbor is the cone of an extinct volcano.

Elephant Rock

DSC04856-1.jpg

This little guy was watching us watch him.

DSC04966-1.jpg

It was a morning tour so we had lunch at the Trading Rooms restaurant when we got back - great food.

DSC04998.jpg

Great photos, thanks for posting them. We've decided to stay in Akaroa and have booked the 4wd pohatu penguin tour. It's a full afternoon tour that includes a visit to the farm as well as viewing the penguins and other scenery/wildlife. Sounds perfect for keeping the whole family occupied ;).

Archived