New Passports in only ONE WEEK!

BILL-WI

My DW and I have a few cruises booked in the next 6 months and our passports were set to expire early next year, so it was time to renew. I used the "expedited service" (code in government speak for, MORE MONEY) to make sure we had them back in plenty of time. I was SHOCKED, when the new passports arrived in only ONE WEEK from the day I mailed in the renewal information. :):)

BILL

My DW and I have a few cruises booked in the next 6 months and our passports were set to expire early next year, so it was time to renew. I used the "expedited service" (code in government speak for, MORE MONEY) to make sure we had them back in plenty of time. I was SHOCKED, when the new passports arrived in only ONE WEEK from the day I mailed in the renewal information. :):)

BILL

We recently got ours back in two and a half weeks without expedited service.

BILL

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that the renewal can be processed so quickly.

Our passports expire April 2013, and we have cruises planned for Dec 2012 and March 2013. We plan to renew as soon as we return from the Dec cruise. That gives us 10 weeks to get them back. We just need to get the pictures - ICK!!! Not as bad as drivers license - but not good either:eek:

I personally prefer a bad passport photo so that when they look at me heading into the airport for a 0630 flight or after fighting the crowds at a cruise terminal the TSA thinks I look pretty good ;). It's not like the photo's going to be on Vogue lol

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Our passports expire April 2013, and we have cruises planned for Dec 2012 and March 2013. We plan to renew as soon as we return from the Dec cruise. That gives us 10 weeks to get them back. We just need to get the pictures - ICK!!! Not as bad as drivers license - but not good either:eek:

If you have AAA they take passport photos for FREE!:):)

BILL

I'm going on a Med cruise in Dec (I know cold) and the Allure for T'giving. I used my passport to renew my DL (because of this new verify process)in Sept., I left it in my car by mistake and when I went to retrieve it a few weeks later...preparing for my trips (I know way in advance), it was gone along with my SS card and voters card (all used for ID). So I called it in and went and applied for another one. The woman at the post office said I didn't need to expedite since I wasn't going out of the country until December...though I'm cruising in Nov. I figured I would use my birth certificate. Anyway to the point I neither expedited nor express mailed and I had mine back within 2 weeks (applied on the 12th of Oct and got an email [registered email on passport status site] that it was mailed on the 25th, received it on the 29th)...that was fast for routine service...updated setsail passes and all is good now... I know way too much I was just so impressed with the service....way to go State dept.

The only thing I'll miss is my stamps from other trips :(

If you have AAA they take passport photos for FREE!

BILL

We did our first passport photos at AAA and they were definitely not free. This last time we went to Costco (it's close to our house) and they were $4.99. Also, we had our renewed passports back two weeks to the day we sent them in.

Of course we submited my daughters for renewal on Saturday, with only a slight hope that it would arrive before our trip the middle of the month. That hope has turned to zero since Sandy closed DC down for two days and since we are right here they are the ones to process.:cool:

We recently got ours back in two and a half weeks without expedited service.

in 2010 I got mine back in just 12 days, over Christmas/New Years, and I too did not use expedited. I was quite surprised. (it was actually sent in on the 23rd)

Hey Bill on the Independence with you in January, if I find our passports that is. we are usually so careful I know they are in the house as soon as I apply for replacements I know I will find them. argh

did you do yours online or at the post office.

[/i personally prefer a bad passport photo so that when they look at me heading into the airport for a 0630 flight or after fighting the crowds at a cruise terminal the TSA thinks I look pretty good QUOTE]

My son does a lot of international travel, France , Russia, Spain etc. for some reason he got his photo on a scruffy day. I can not believe he can travel so easily looking JUST LIKE A TERRORIST. I would so profile him, he looks nothing like his scruffy photo

I'm going on a Med cruise in Dec (I know cold) and the Allure for T'giving. I used my passport to renew my DL (because of this new verify process)in Sept., I left it in my car by mistake and when I went to retrieve it a few weeks later...preparing for my trips (I know way in advance), it was gone along with my SS card and voters card (all used for ID). So I called it in and went and applied for another one. The woman at the post office said I didn't need to expedite since I wasn't going out of the country until December...though I'm cruising in Nov. I figured I would use my birth certificate. Anyway to the point I neither expedited nor express mailed and I had mine back within 2 weeks (applied on the 12th of Oct and got an email [registered email on passport status site] that it was mailed on the 25th, received it on the 29th)...that was fast for routine service...updated setsail passes and all is good now... I know way too much I was just so impressed with the service....way to go State dept.

I hope you reported the theft of your documents and have taken steps to protect your identity. Get in touch with all three credit bureaus and at a minimum file a fraud alert with them, better still get a security freeze. Check your annual Social Security statement and check it against your W-2 to make sure they match exactly. Someone out there could be using your identity to work and it can screw up your Social Security and income taxes in a major way.

I'm going on a Med cruise in Dec (I know cold) and the Allure for T'giving. I used my passport to renew my DL (because of this new verify process)in Sept., I left it in my car by mistake and when I went to retrieve it a few weeks later...preparing for my trips (I know way in advance), it was gone along with my SS card and voters card (all used for ID). So I called it in and went and applied for another one.

Just an FYI - since you've had a stolen passport be prepared to be flagged in the systems and go through more scrutiny than before... A friend of mine had hers stolen while at a resort in Mexico and she was red flagged for 5 years getting the 3rd degree every time she went through TSA... They always assume she's the thief with the stolen passport!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

American Automobile Association. For 100.00 or so a year for my DH and myself, towing, fixing flat tires, free maps, store discounts (limited), travel discounts. More.

And then for even more we can look 20 years younger ... but wait, there is more ...

If you have AAA they take passport photos for FREE!

BILL

We did our first passport photos at AAA and they were definitely not free. This last time we went to Costco (it's close to our house) and they were $4.99. Also, we had our renewed passports back two weeks to the day we sent them in.

We got our photos free... did them ourselves. Put everyone in front of a plain background, no smiles, take the picture. Import into Photoshop, make sure it matches the size requirements (measurements & template available online), and printed out the five of them on a single 4x6 photo paper. Cut them out, and filed them.

The postal worker questioned a couple of them because the size wasn't right, but when I said to check it, it was right on.

The post office charges $15 each (I think). With 5 of us, even a $10 fee adds up.

Hey Bill on the Independence with you in January, if I find our passports that is. we are usually so careful I know they are in the house as soon as I apply for replacements I know I will find them. argh

did you do yours online or at the post office.

I filled out all the information on-line, but you still have to mail everything in.

BILL

• 1 month later...

I sent off for my renewal today (Dec 13, 2012). Mailed it priority mail with deliver confirmation (from Dallas to Philadelphia). We'll see how long it takes. But it's good to hear they have been coming back within two weeks using standard service. I dunno if I'll get it that fast during the holiday season, but I'm in no rush to get it back.

I'll be sure to report back when I actually get it.

• 4 weeks later...
I sent off for my renewal today (Dec 13, 2012). Mailed it priority mail with deliver confirmation (from Dallas to Philadelphia). We'll see how long it takes. But it's good to hear they have been coming back within two weeks using standard service. I dunno if I'll get it that fast during the holiday season, but I'm in no rush to get it back.

I'll be sure to report back when I actually get it.

And I got the new passport today. So, three weeks total. Not bad at all. The cover of the new book sure is thick and stiff. Don't really like the backgrounds on the visa pages either. But oh well. I'm set through the end of December 2022!!

Now I need to book a cruise. :)

We got our photos free... did them ourselves. Put everyone in front of a plain background, no smiles, take the picture. Import into Photoshop, make sure it matches the size requirements (measurements & template available online), and printed out the five of them on a single 4x6 photo paper. Cut them out, and filed them.

The postal worker questioned a couple of them because the size wasn't right, but when I said to check it, it was right on.

The post office charges $15 each (I think). With 5 of us, even a $10 fee adds up.

Actually I thought everyone did it this way (we have for years,) I'm kind of surprised to hear people still go to photograpers for this.

Just makes sure it's the correct size (has to fit in the box on the paper) and you're fine.

Actually I thought everyone did it this way (we have for years,) I'm kind of surprised to hear people still go to photograpers for this.

Just makes sure it's the correct size (has to fit in the box on the paper) and you're fine.

I had mine done at Walgreens. I have no way to take a proper photo of myself by myself. Didn't have time to arrange for someone to do it for me. Also, didn't want to futz around with making sure it got printed out at the right dimensions, not to mention actually buying photo paper for the printer (which really isn't a photo printer anyway)

Archived