Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

Is it advisable to book our hotels this early for Rome? I assume so but havent done it yet. Kim (Zentha) are looking in the Pantheon area and wondered if anyone had recommendations.

As far as plans in Rome, I think we arrive on Wednesday and plan to see the sites since Kim hasnt been there before, and of course find lots of good food! We loved our couple of nights in Barcelona before the last TA and really found some gems for great food!

From our experience, Rome always has lots of visitors and so hotels always fill up quickly (about ten years ago, all my favorite hotels in Paris were booked six months in advance, but with the current economic situation in Europe, that might not be the case this year).

Anywhere in the centro storico, running from around the Piazza Venezia east to the bend in the Tiber, is a great place to stay and eat. Almost everything is within walking distance. As Lee mentioned, most hotels in the historic center are small, but there are probably thousands, or so it seems, wonderful small restaurants, too. You guys will love it.

• 3 weeks later...
So looking forward to this trip! Everyone once in a while I forget we're going. That's the hazard of planning so far in advance!

Work has kept me so busy that I manage to keep up with reading the posts, but not much time to reply. I recently pulled the trigger on selecting an apartment in Rome. My reservation request was accepted, so now Iain and I have a place to live for our 6 nights in the Trastevere neighborhood.

Walter

How very cool. You'll be locals (and neighbors of Bart!)

Actually, Bart had a small hand in helping me pick the place. I mapped his place to ours and it should be a 15 minute walk at most. We are 2 blocks from the river and about half way between the Ponte Sisto and Ponte Girabaldi bridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys Franz and Ian booked today after trolling 5 ships till we finally decided on Reflection. Overnighting in Rome. Look forward to the cocktail hour a favourite pastime and the sea days, not forgetting the food.

No, we are not booked in AQ apologies for breaking the chain :D

Hey guys Franz and Ian booked today after trolling 5 ships till we finally decided on Reflection. Overnighting in Rome. Look forward to the cocktail hour a favourite pastime and the sea days, not forgetting the food.

No, we are not booked in AQ apologies for breaking the chain :D

Welcome to the board! Iain and I made some friends from a RCCL cruise last year and they will be on this thread sooner or later. We will dine with them some in the main dining room since they are not in Aqus Class.

Hi Walter!

With under 6 months to go, I thought I'd see what's happening here :)

Had seaside drinks with J & R yesterday, had a great time tossing around ideas as to where to stay in Rome. It will be great to spend time with yourself and Iain again, can't wait! But beware...once we see you we will start to harrass you guys about booking Oceania Marina Lisbon to Rio in Nov '14!!

Talk to you soon!

Russell

Welcome to the board! Iain and I made some friends from a RCCL cruise last year and they will be on this thread sooner or later. We will dine with them some in the main dining room since they are not in Aqus Class.

Yes, we hope you will join us unwashed masses in the MDR at some point. :)

Having done Blu in the past, it is not quite my cup of tea - I prefer steak to bamboo - however if there was a compelling reason to go to there at some point, don't worry, we can get access to it.

J.

Edited by jb_yvr

Yes, we hope you will join us unwashed masses in the MDR at some point. :)

Having done Blu in the past, it is not quite my cup of tea - I prefer steak to bamboo - however if there was a compelling reason to go to there at some point, don't worry, we can get access to it.

J.

Hey they have steaks in Blu! ;-) On the Solstice, we actually thought the steaks in Blu were better than the ones we had in Tuscan. Welcome aboard!

Hi Walter!

With under 6 months to go, I thought I'd see what's happening here :)

Had seaside drinks with J & R yesterday, had a great time tossing around ideas as to where to stay in Rome. It will be great to spend time with yourself and Iain again, can't wait! But beware...once we see you we will start to harrass you guys about booking Oceania Marina Lisbon to Rio in Nov '14!!

Talk to you soon!

Russell

Hey Russell, we're already booked on the Marina Lisbon to Rio in Nov '14. Hope we can discuss the cruise on the Reflection. I've already started working on Walter and Iain to join us. Looking forward to meeting everyone, even those part of the unwashed masses. ;-)

Hey guys

Thnx for the welcome, as for Quisine sounds like a good idea, pooh pooh Blu is all am willing to discuss on this thread, "once bitten twice shy" problem is we were cajoled into a second cruise interlude with Blu and came away with the Blues.

Gimme unwashed MDR status any day! :p

Hey guys

Thnx for the welcome, as for Quisine sounds like a good idea, pooh pooh Blu is all am willing to discuss on this thread, "once bitten twice shy" problem is we were cajoled into a second cruise interlude with Blu and came away with the Blues.

Gimme unwashed MDR status any day! :p

Sorry to hear you had poor experiences. Hope this next cruise is better!

Our first Blu experience was just so-so in terms of service but good in terms of food. The second was good on both counts. The problem with the first sailing was the waiter, who was a gay man. He seemed to take an attitude of "oh, you're family (he was both gay AND Canadian), I don't have to work so hard" and then sort of bitched a lot. It wasn't cute and it isn't what you're looking for on a vacation.

Our first Blu experience was just so-so in terms of service but good in terms of food. The second was good on both counts. The problem with the first sailing was the waiter, who was a gay man. He seemed to take an attitude of "oh, you're family (he was both gay AND Canadian), I don't have to work so hard" and then sort of bitched a lot. It wasn't cute and it isn't what you're looking for on a vacation.

Our food (excepting one unfortunate pork chop) was always good (and udsually much better than that) and our service, from multiple waiters, was always good and usually excellent—and delivered with a smile. We celebrated our anniversary in Blu (a friend had a big cake delivered) and the waiters all gathered around and sang Happy Anniversary while the assistant maitre 'd from Turkey took photos with my camera. They then gave a slice of cake to most of the room. It was really nice, though Bob was a bit embarrassed. :D

Hey they have steaks in Blu! ;-) On the Solstice, we actually thought the steaks in Blu were better than the ones we had in Tuscan. Welcome aboard!

Thanks.

For me, the RCCL Chops Grille is the gold standard for good meat on the high seas :)

Actually what I am really looking forward to, is to BBQ some tasty meat myself at the Lawn Club in the middle of the Atlantic. That seems like it would be a welcome addition to my list of decadent things done in life.

Hey Russell, we're already booked on the Marina Lisbon to Rio in Nov '14. Hope we can discuss the cruise on the Reflection. I've already started working on Walter and Iain to join us. Looking forward to meeting everyone, even those part of the unwashed masses. ;-)

Ummmm, who do you think convinced Russell to try Oceania? :D

We booked that cruise after Oceania wined and dined us (literally) at an event in Vancouver where we could try some of their food.

Edited by jb_yvr

Thanks.

For me, the RCCL Chops Grille is the gold standard for good meat on the high seas :)

Actually what I am really looking forward to, is to BBQ some tasty meat myself at the Lawn Club in the middle of the Atlantic. That seems like it would be a welcome addition to my list of decadent things done in life.

No, the Gold standard is the 32 oz(!) King Cut prime Rib in Polo on Oceania. Bet you can't eat the whole thing. :D

Ummmm, who do you think convinced Russell to try Oceania? :D

We booked that cruise after Oceania wined and dined us (literally) at an event in Vancouver where we could try some of their food.

Walter told me you were the culprit! I think I have him convinced to join us Sailing Down to Rio. We are going to have lots to discuss while on the Reflection. Hope we can meet in Rome.

No, the Gold standard is the 32 oz(!) King Cut prime Rib in Polo on Oceania. Bet you can't eat the whole thing. :D

Size queen! I think you're talking about quantity and not about quality.

I promise I am referring to steak.

I probably would if it was not a Prime Rib - I am not into fat or bones.

Now Filet Mignon on the other hand, or even a Sirloin is more my quality cut of beef :)

The swimmers build to buff/stocky of beef. :D