10/31 Repo Future Credit NCL vs. Princess

warb

Folks on the NCL board are discussing what NCL is giving GEM passengers, compared to what Princess is giving Carribbean P. passengers. Interesting reading. Check it out.
From the CC post on FB, I gather NCL is giving a 25% credit for those choosing to sail, a refund for those choosing to cancel. Looks like they're encouraging people to cancel plus those who do and have insurance, they'll double-dip unless their insurance won't pay out because they're already getting a refund.

Princess is giving 50% credit to those who sail, 25% credit those those who cancel and don't have insurance. Looks like they'd rather have passengers onboard the ship.

What USAToday says about NCL

12:43PM EDT November 1. 2012 - Would you be upset if your nine-day cruise to the Caribbean turned into a five-day sailing to Bermuda — and you didn't have the option of canceling?

That's the situation more than 2,000 vacationers scheduled to sail out of New York this week on the Norwegian Gem are facing in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and many aren't happy about it.

"I really wish that (Norwegian) could show a bit more compassion toward its guests," says Robert Kipp, 45, of Ontario, Canada, one of the vacationers who was scheduled to board the 2,394-passenger vessel on Monday for a nine-night voyage to the Caribbean but is now facing a shortened trip to Bermuda.

Norwegian says the Monday voyage, which has been pushed back due to the closure of New York's port in the wake of Sandy, is now expected to begin on Friday — four days behind schedule. Instead of sailing to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and the Dominican Republic, the ship will head to Bermuda for a two-day stay.

Norwegian says customers booked on the trip will receive a pro-rated refund in the form of an on-board credit for the missed days. But the line isn't offering refunds to customers who want to cancel the trip, and that has online message boards at cruise sites lighting up with complaints.

"Instead of (Norwegian) saying 'here is your money back, try to do something with your remaining time off,' they are playing games," a passenger who goes by the handle jakeT writes in a post at cruise fan site CruiseCritic.com.

"I cannot overstate how unhappy I am with the process and how unprofessional the line is handling the situation," another passenger who goes by the online name Cruisin1111 writes at CruiseCritic.com.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/01/cruise-lines-criticized-sandy-delays/1674001/?csp=Travel

Carbill,

Your post is before the fact. The USA article was before NCL made their offer.

Pam,

I wouldn't say that NCL is offering an incentive for people to "not" take the cruise. Many people "can't" take the cruise because many passengers are local to NYC and they are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. And even if they have insurance, it wouldn't cover them in many situations. NCL is just showing a little compassion.

Even if insurance does cover them, there is no way the insurance will let them double dip. You can't claim something that you got a refund for.

Also the revised cruise is very different from the original. It is not a 9 day cruise to the warm Caribbean, it is a 5 day cruise to cooler in November Bermuda.

NCL is still offering an incentive to take the cruise, they get a 25% future credit, and a refund for the four missed days. To some people, that may be a a good option.

This is a major catastrophe in NYC, and NCL is giving options where Princess chooses not to.

Carbill,

Your post is before the fact. The USA article was before NCL made their offer.

USAToday's followup article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/02/norwegian-cruise-line-new-york/1676749/?csp=Travel

11:17AM EDT November 2. 2012 - The top executive at Norwegian Cruise Line late Thursday apologized for the company's handling of a cruise scheduled to depart this week from storm-ravaged New York and said it would reverse course on a decision not to allow refunds to customers who wanted to cancel the voyage.

It's too bad that Princess can't follow NCL's lead.

What is so surprising is that Princess gives a 50% credit to people who are lucky enough to actually make it to the cruise. But what about the 100's of people who can't make the cruise because they are dealing with the aftermath of what is possibly the worst natural disaster in the history of NYC? They get a only a 25% credit?!? That is a slap in the face, insult to injury, kicking them when they're down. Even if they have insurance, it won't cover them in many cases because of this unique situation.

It shows a lack of compassion from Princess to offer the "affected" passengers less compensation than the "lucky" passengers

But what about the 100's of people who can't make the cruise because they are dealing with the aftermath of what is possibly the worst natural disaster in the history of NYC? They get a only a 25% credit?!? That is a slap in the face, insult to injury, kicking them when they're down.

Insurance: Something one obtains to cover the cost of unexpected events

If people do not purchase insurance, be it home insurance, flood insurance or even trip insurance, it means they knowingly agree to accept the risk if an event occurs.

Try asking an insurance company for a 25% credit of the cost of your home if you failed to insure your home and it is destroyed in a fire.

When people do not obtain insurance, they are indicating they do not expect to be reimbursed if the uninsured event occurs.

If people do not purchase insurance, be it home insurance, flood insurance or even trip insurance, it means they knowingly agree to accept the risk if an event occurs.

Try asking an insurance company for a 25% credit of the cost of your home if you failed to insure your home and it is destroyed in a fire.

When people do not obtain insurance, they are indicating they do not expect to be reimbursed if the uninsured event occurs.

Totally agree with you Bill. But doubt if what has happened will change anyone's philosophy on buying trip insurance.

Right on the money, Bill...

Hi Caribill,

You didn't quote my whole post. You left out where I said: "Even if they have insurance, it won't cover them in many cases because of this unique situation."

Here's one example from the Princess Roll Calls: "I have to cancel too, the hurricane has hit us hard too in Staten Island. It's very very sad but leaving my kids without power is out of the question. What kind of parents would we be? My power won't be back for maybe another week." It is doubtful that travel insurance would cover her in this case. And there are probably 100's of similar cases.

And imagine the people on the west coast who are making a mad scramble to get to NYC, only to get stuck in gridlocked traffic on the way to the port, and watch the ship sail away. If they have travel insurance it would only pay to get them to the next port, if they are lucky enough to even get a flight, but it's not a nice way to start a vacation.

Again, this may be the worst natural disaster to ever hit NYC. There is total disruption in the city, and the Mayor is telling people to stay away if they don't need to be there.

NCL is showing compassion for people dealing with the storm. Princess is not.

Yes, Princess is giving a 25% Future Credit for those who cancelled. But, they have the

money that these people paid them for their cruise that was delayed because of a

Hurricane. Seems like Princess is making out ok. By the way, I'm one of those who

cancelled. We offered to go to Boston to get aboard, but Princess said no.

I agree with others that Princess should have allowed those who could not make the cruise to take a larger credit for a future cruise. In 2004 my cruise was impacted by Hurricane Frances. Carnival allowed people to cancel and gave them, I believe, 100% credit for another cruise. We were lucky enough to make it to Miami in time. For all those people who say that is what insurance is for, well you are right. However, when something unique and unexpected like this type of storm comes up do you really think that the people who didn't buy insurance will be upset with themselves? No, they will be upset with Princess especially when they know another cruise line reacted much more positively towards their customers. Princess may lose customers while NCL may not.

As for the insurance, I am not sure but it is possible that some companies do not allow cancellation for any reason. Local people who don't have to worry about being flown in but don't want to go due to power issues, flooding,etc may be denied insurance coverage because it is for "any reason" and their insurance if they have it might not cover it.

Perfectly put!

Other then Princess Platinum, what insurance will cover cancelling this cruise. Thanks.

Most travel insurance companies will offer a "cancel for any reason" option. However, this is an option and not all policies a company offers will include it, and you will pay extra for that option.

When selecting a travel insurance policy, know what you want to insure for and read the policy carefully before purchasing it.

As for the insurance, I am not sure but it is possible that some companies do not allow cancellation for any reason. Local people who don't have to worry about being flown in but don't want to go due to power issues, flooding,etc may be denied insurance coverage because it is for "any reason" and their insurance if they have it might not cover it.

People who buy "cancel for any reason" insurance often do so if they are not sure if they can get off work, or something similar. It is more expensive, it may pay 75% or less, it may require a 48 hour advance notice to cancel, which the "Caribbean Princess" passengers may not have had.

This cruise is a very unusual case where out of state passengers are faced with a decision of "should I try to book a flight, make a mad dash to the port, and hope to get there before the ship sails?" Or should I just "cut my losses". On the other hand, the local passengers are faced with "who knows what" in the aftermath of the storm. It may be "possible" to make it to the cruise. But taking the cruise may not be the smart thing to do under the circumstances.

Since the NCL and Princess cruises that left NYC today are very unusual cases, that is why NCL stepped up and showed compassion to the passengers who just couldn't make that cruise. They will retain customers in the long run. Princess made a decision to not do that. For some reason, they chose to reward the lucky passengers who could make the cruise with an additional 50% future credit.

I also feel that if a person chooses to not buy insurance, then they shouldn't complain if they need it. And I feel that if there are special circumstances (the worst natural disaster in the history of NYC), then a cruise line may choose to help passengers in need. NCL made a choice to show a little compassion for the affected passengers. Under the letter of the law, Princess wasn't required to do anything other than give "everybody" a refund for the two missed days (that's 20% right there). But instead, for some reason, they chose to reward the lucky passengers who were able to make the cruise with an extra 50% credit on top of that. So if the passengers who could not make the cruise receive a 25% credit, that is in effect only 5% above what Princess was required to give them anyway.

So if you consider that NCL gave a 100% refund/credit, and Princess gave a 25% credit, I would consider that when I choose a company for my next cruise.

Nice to see that NCL is doing right by their customers who were not able to get to NY for their cruise.

Shame on Princess for not doing the same! They know we could not get into NY and had to cancel and all they could say was well you are not sick so you can't cancel or you lose your entire purchase. I was even told I lose my future cruise credit I had purchased.

It doesn't seem to matter to them but hey why should it after all they may have some empty cabins but they were paid for in full and they get to keep all the money!

For those that did make it in or who were already onboard they are giving them a perdiem for days lost but only as an on board credit.

Again just more gains for Princess as now people will have to buy over inflated items on the ship. I just found out tonight that they will also give them a 25% reduction on a future cruise. But it seems they are going to continue with punishing those who could not get to the port by keeping 100 % plus cancellation penalties. I wonder how many will rebook with Princess after this?? I know if I here nothing from Princess not even an I'm sorry you were not able to make it to the ship, Even though I had been a loyal Platinum customer I will NOT book my next cruise with Princess.

Sure would like to hear from them as to WHY?????????????:confused: :confused:

C. Witek

You will receive 25% of your cruise fare as a future cruise credit if you don't have insurance. That's been announced. A question for you: if you didn't purchase insurance, why didn't you? That was a choice you made. As a Platinum member, you would have been automatically upgraded and receive 100% as a credit less your insurance.

You will receive 25% of your cruise fare as a future cruise credit if you don't have insurance. That's been announced. A question for you: if you didn't purchase insurance, why didn't you? That was a choice you made. As a Platinum member, you would have been automatically upgraded and receive 100% as a credit less your insurance.

Pam, you're my hero......................;)

Good point!

Insurance....

Individual purchased insurance....

IMO this is to protect MY investment when I can't hold up my end of the deal for whatever reason. Sickness, death, road washed out, car breaks down, flights cancelled, etc. ANYTHING to keep me from going on the cruise. Now ALSO IMO this has nothing to do with the cruise lines responsibility to PROVIDE said cruise regardless of ships generator failing, strike by workers, ship sinks, hurricane/tropical storm, etc. IMO the cruise line should have insurance to cover THIS! If said cruise cannot be provided for any reason then cruise line should provide refund/reimbursement for un-used amount of cruise.

In this case, from what I've read and understand NCL provides a little better goodwill gesture/compensation than does PCL.

Isn't this why they offer insurance for unexpected catastrophes like this? If you had insurance than you could have canceled. Sounds like you had no insurance.

Even if they have insurance, it won't cover them in many cases because of this unique situation. See the example in my previous post.

This was the biggest natural disaster in the history of NYC. Many cruisers are local and live in the disaster zone, and are dealing with the aftermath. Technically they might be able to take the cruise, but in reality, it wouldn't be a smart thing to do at this time.

That's why NCL made an exception and offered a 100% refund/credit for this unique situation. Princess was required to refund everybody for the two missed days (or 20%). So if all they offer is 25% future credit, then that is only 5% more than they were required to do anyway.

Insurance....

Individual purchased insurance....

IMO this is to protect MY investment when I can't hold up my end of the deal for whatever reason. Sickness, death, road washed out, car breaks down, flights cancelled, etc. ANYTHING to keep me from going on the cruise. Now ALSO IMO this has nothing to do with the cruise lines responsibility to PROVIDE said cruise regardless of ships generator failing, strike by workers, ship sinks, hurricane/tropical storm, etc. IMO the cruise line should have insurance to cover THIS! If said cruise cannot be provided for any reason then cruise line should provide refund/reimbursement for un-used amount of cruise.

In this case, from what I've read and understand NCL provides a little better goodwill gesture/compensation than does PCL.

I read and respect many of the people who have posted here, but I agree with you Chill6x6. We were not booked on the impacted cruises but have friends who were. We are frequent Princess cruisers. We believe that Princess' response is disappointing. I understand the need for insurance and I see it as something that protects us for unforeseen circumstances. I also understand that the cruise contract allows for missing ports or substitution of ports and have no problem with that. That being said, if we booked and paid for a 10 day cruise and the cruise line was unable to provide that and presented a lesser alternative that didn't suit us, we would expect a full refund since the product paid for was not provided.

Additionally, I think Princess' communications were inadequate. I understand that they were operating under very unusual circumstances. Nonetheless, there were long lapses between official communications. There have been people here on CC who booked multiple different flights to try to get to the cruise and were forced to change for a variety of reasons, among them that Princess kept changing their projections. At some point people gave up and I understand that. Whether or not they had insurance, once Princess passed 10/31 as a sail date, I think those people are entitled to 100 % refund. I also think that people who were able to board and sail today should be given a refund (not OBC) for their 2 day per diem. BTW I am a Carnival shareholder so I understand how things affect the bottom line. I also understand about goodwill.

Archived