Galveston - Worried about the Fog...

BadDaddy44212

I am getting worried about the fog...

We are on Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston departing February 3 and getting back on the 10th.

We are currently on the 2:35 flight home of IAH on the 10th, and can move to the 4:30 without penalty.

I know there isn't a crystal ball, but should I move the flight to the later time?

If I do this and there is fog I am a hero, if there isn't, well then I am a bumm for getting us home late...

Thoughts?

I am getting worried about the fog...

We are on Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston departing February 3 and getting back on the 10th.

We are currently on the 2:35 flight home of IAH on the 10th, and can move to the 4:30 without penalty.

I know there isn't a crystal ball, but should I move the flight to the later time?

If I do this and there is fog I am a hero, if there isn't, well then I am a bumm for getting us home late...

Thoughts?

Hello we've sailed out of Galveston going back 4 years ago for 3 year in Feburary. Every time we where delayed. I would suggest staying the night before and day after in a local hotel or rebook for March.. The fog will get you 90% of the time..

Earl & Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather be a bumm getting everyone home late then to have to deal with a missed flight due to fog in Galveston.. that being said we cruised the same week last year on the Magic and was not a delay but fog in Galveston is a frequent occurance so if you can change the flight without penalty imho i would do it...

we will see you on the ship as that is the first leg of our b2b

Cheryl

I agree with the others - switch to the later flight if you can with no penalty. If you cruise from Galveston in the future during this time of year, I'd recommend planning your flight out for the day after just to be safe. Galveston is a great town with a lot to do on a post-cruise (or pre-cruise) day.

I move the flights to 4:00, the latest flight out using the tickets I have.

Thanks for the advice!

good choice! Fog is a problem January and February and sometimes to early March. We only sail mid March to April out of Galveston.

We had fog when we were coming back into Galveston last Monday. It was so thick that From the forward deck of Triumph you could look back and barely see the funnel. We all thought we'd be getting a couple more hours onboard, but then we headed into the fog. They blew the horn every few minutes, and other ships were blowing theirs, and we docked all of about five minutes late. Here's some pics

Right before we went into the fog. There were a lot of Tankers at anchor

Fog2.jpg

Ship's funnel

Fog3.jpg

Across from the terminal right after we docked

Fogterminal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We've been caught twice in fog sailing in late January. We are again sailing january 2013 and my flight out of Hobby is at 4:00PM. The other two times fog was an issue, we didn't get off ship until after 1:00PM. That's the bad thing about Galveston sailing during that time of year.

We have sailed out of Galveston in February and January. Both times the cruise before us had no delays but when we returned in February we didn't get off the ship until the next afternoon (that's right we got a free night on the ship) and in January we didn't get off the ship until about 1 or so. We are sailing again this January so we shall see. Good luck!

It's nice that you changed your flight, but it really is not necessary. IAH is 72 miles North of those lovely pictures of the foggy cruise ship. Our fog burns off after the sun comes up, unless you're on the water.

Have a nice cruise.

OP was not concerned with the flight being delayed. They were worried about the ship not getting into the port, as happens, and missing their flight.

• 1 month later...

Last year we arrived in Galveston on January 8th on the Carnival Magic. Our flight was for 2:25pm. We were docking at 2pm. Needless to say... we missed our flight. There were 6 of us, and the earliest we could get out was 2:25pm the following day. The one time insurance paid off. We were compensated for everything, from extra phone calls, extra days of parking at our home airport, extra airline fees, food and accomodations. My claim for the 6 of us was over $1200 and even if we had chosen a different airline, we had upto $500 per person for the flights.

The week we docked we did not get on the ship until about 4pm as the arriving ship was also late due to fog.

I will not cruise out of Galveston, Jan thru March again, even though others have assured me this could happen in Florida also. Yet it seems to be a much less common occurance in Florida, so I will be betting on Florida in the future.

Karen

The one time insurance paid off. We were compensated for everything, from extra phone calls, extra days of parking at our home airport, extra airline fees, food and accomodations. My claim for the 6 of us was over $1200 and even if we had chosen a different airline, we had upto $500 per person for the flights.

Karen

Karen, are you talking about Princess insurance?

Hello we've sailed out of Galveston going back 4 years ago for 3 year in Feburary. Every time we where delayed. I would suggest staying the night before and day after in a local hotel or rebook for March.. The fog will get you 90% of the time..

Earl & Kathy

What an ridiculous statement

about 90 % of the time.

Yes it's always best to go in early and

have flights later than usual (if you can)

what ever port you cruise

out of.

Buy insurance.

I will not cruise out of Galveston, Jan thru March again, even though others have assured me this could happen in Florida also. Yet it seems to be a much less common occurance in Florida, so I will be betting on Florida in the future.

As mentioned before, if I had to fly for a cruise out of Galveston (or Houston next year, or even New Orleans, which I hear was also socked in yesterday) during fog season, I'd just plan on leaving the day after the cruise. I'm now two for two on fog delays in Galveston - last year my cruise left late, this time we arrived back late (7 hours). No real big deal for me as I drive (5.5 hours), although I make sure I have a day off between the end of the cruise and the day I need to be back at work.

My brother just got off the Crown yesterday. They did not dock until 3pm due to fog. By the time they carried their bags off, went through customs and got their car from the parking lot it was 6 pm. Luckily, they had only a five hour drive back home and did not have to deal with a delayed flight.

We have cruised out of Galveston 5 times and had only one fog problem. The ships didn't come in till about 1:00 pm. We ate lunch outside at the Harbor HOuse (along with everyone else) and watched them sail in. Very festive! RCCL called and let us know what time to arrive for embarkation.

To my knowledge there has been one fog delay day for

cruisers in Galveston this winter.

Fog issues are totally relative

to Mother Nature and her timing

with the conditions!

We could have no fog or 10 times fog

from now until April?

If you want to cruise this time of year,

it's always best to go in early and

have flights later than usual

what ever port you cruise

out of. That is unless your schedule dictates

differently.

Fog isn't the only possible weather delay issues

you may be faced with!!!!!

We have cruised a bunch and NEVER had a fog issue.

We have had others though in Europe and Florida cruising!

Buy insurance

Go on cruise and enjoy it .

Traveling has its compromises in expectations.

Earl & Kathy

Please. Stop trying to scare people. Yes, fog can happen at any time but 90% of the time getting a ship delayed? That's just ridiculous. I would say more like 10%

This morning there is very dense fog in Houston and surrounding areas. I am 20 minutes away from Galveston and can't see a thing but the ships docked just fine this morning and looking at the cam there is no fog in Galveston. So you never know. Sometimes the ships even come in when there is fog.

Please. Stop trying to scare people. Yes, fog can happen at any time but 90% of the time getting a ship delayed? That's just ridiculous. I would say more like 10%

This morning there is very dense fog in Houston and surrounding areas. I am 20 minutes away from Galveston and can't see a thing but the ships docked just fine this morning and looking at the cam there is no fog in Galveston. So you never know. Sometimes the ships even come in when there is fog.

Yep. The webcams show Galveston as clear and sunny and both Magic and Mariner are docked. I'm just south of Hobby Airport and can barely see across the street the fog's so thick, but if you're in Galveston it's a beautiful day for a cruise :)

Yep. The webcams show Galveston as clear and sunny and both Magic and Mariner are docked. I'm just south of Hobby Airport and can barely see across the street the fog's so thick, but if you're in Galveston it's a beautiful day for a cruise :)

Wow I just looked at them and it is gorgeous down there.

We are just north of Bush airport and it is foggy about 200yd visibility.,

I feel like Im home in San Francisco bay.:D

But for the original topic......

We did cruise out of Galveston last year in Feb and it looked like the weather today

But I have noticed fog in Galveston jan/feb

If we had friends from out of town cruising with us from Galveston, I would tell them to have a late afternoon flight going home.

Even when I sail out of FLL or MIA I will do that.

Because you never know what delays you can have when getting back in port

Wow I just looked at them and it is gorgeous down there.

We are just north of Bush airport and it is foggy about 200yd visibility.,

I feel like Im home in San Francisco bay.:D

But for the original topic......

We did cruise out of Galveston last year in Feb and it looked like the weather today

But I have noticed fog in Galveston jan/feb

If we had friends from out of town cruising with us from Galveston, I would tell them to have a late afternoon flight going home.

Even when I sail out of FLL or MIA I will do that.

Because you never know what delays you can have when getting back in port

SF did it and are headed to Super Bowl !

Archived