Miami port taxi

JAKUEHNLE

After standing on the Copenhagen dock for almost an hour waiting our turn for a taxi.:mad: I would like to ask about the taxi situation at the Miami port. Should I try to book a taxi / limo to airport before the cruise? Or are there enough at the port so that one can make it to the airport by 9:00, for a 11:00 flight (with the 2 hour TSA check in before the flight.)

John

After standing on the Copenhagen dock for almost an hour waiting our turn for a taxi.:mad: I would like to ask about the taxi situation at the Miami port. Should I try to book a taxi / limo to airport before the cruise? Or are there enough at the port so that one can make it to the airport by 9:00, for a 11:00 flight (with the 2 hour TSA check in before the flight.)

John

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just give the porter(s) an extra twenty when you claim your bags, and you'll be in a taxi before you know it. ;)

Last time on Marina we were delayed clearing the ship

It was bedlam also

Got to the airport just around 11:30 am for a 12:30 flight...too close for me

The taxi rank is not as organized as Copenhagen ;)

Lyn

We were on the Regata and took a taxi to the airport in Miami. We waited in a line about 45 minutes. The taxis loaded and took off as fast as they could and returned for more fares. We enjoyed the conversation with our new cruise friends. We found a single woman and we 3 took a taxi together saving even more money. Of course, if you want to pay for the Oceania bus and pay significant more then you will arrive sooner than our wait for a taxi.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just give the porter(s) an extra twenty when you claim your bags, and you'll be in a taxi before you know it. ;)

Hope that you are fine. Let me know!

Arline

The one time we arrived in Miami was bad enough that I will try to never disembark there again. Customs took FOREVER. The line for taxis was unending. This I could handle. It was the lovely well-traveled guests practically brawling over taxis that made us take our luggage and walk out from the port to get a cab. The available cabs were very sparse. It was a nightmare. Only way I would get off ship there again is if I booked a private driver. I wouldn't care the cost.

Mo

We've never had a problem in Miami. Perhaps you have to wait 10 minutes, but we never found it to bother us. That doesn't mean there aren't times there are problems.

Was that after an Oceania cruise or one of the other lines?

I ask because Oceania docks away from the mainstream lines & always seem to have less taxis at Miami

Lyn

Was that after an Oceania cruise or one of the other lines?

I ask because Oceania docks away from the mainstream lines & always seem to have less taxis at Miami

Lyn

The latest cruise we took with disembarkation out of Miami was Liberty of the Seas. So you are probably correct if it is in a different location.

I'll see how it is in a couple weeks being away from the mainstream lines. We are taking a cab to the airport after we disembark.

What also needs to be considered are how many ships are in port that day and the total number of passengers.

The latest cruise we took with disembarkation out of Miami was Liberty of the Seas. So you are probably correct if it is in a different location.

I'll see how it is in a couple weeks being away from the mainstream lines. We are taking a cab to the airport after we disembark.

What also needs to be considered are how many ships are in port that day and the total number of passengers.

We arrived on a weekday not sure if there any other ships in port

• 4 weeks later...

We had a 10:15am flight from MIA (originally later, changed by airline) and kept our bags with us, stood in line for an hour before the ship which docked before 7 was cleared at 8:30. We were off the ship quickly, took an elevator down to the customs level and cleared in less than a minute. I had arranged with F.G. Car services to be picked up between 8 and 8:15, and called to say we were now outside the terminal. Pickup was about 2 minutes later. Very reasonable cost, close to taxi fare. We'd never have made the flight if we had to wait for a taxi.

First time in Miami everyone was very late to disembark as Immigration took a very long time to clear the ship. They arrived late and held up the ship from even hooking up water lines, etc for some time. I was comforted by the fact I had O arranged air and purchased the expensive ship transfer. ironically we arrived at the airport 1/2 hour before others who had pre-arranged private transfer and they got through the airport check-in before us.

Point is sometimes the expensive O transfers are a good thing if the flight is early on the day.

The last time, disembarking Marina's Maiden voyage, despite the welcome as the ship sailed into port, apparently the port forgot to let the taxis know a ship was arriving. The lineup for the occasional taxi streamed back into the terminal. Lots of elbows and frayed nerves. We fortunately had an after noon flight out so concerned but not panicked but some others were getting pretty upset over thoughts of missing flights home. Slowly more and more taxis arrived. One of the parking lot shuttle buses took a bus full all the way to the airport at no charge just to help clear the decks. It was not a good scene.

Point is anyone who had arranged private transfer or booked the ships transfer was in great shape

Like some others have remarked, we are not fans of the Miami port. Should we disembark in Miami again I'll book a private transfer/shuttle and not take a chance on a mess like that again.

In Miami on Thursday November 29th and the taxi line was extremely organized. Yes it was long and snaked around, but from the time we left the ship until we arrived at MIA it was less than 1 hour. We even shared a van cab with another couple we met while in line. (We were the only cruise ship in port this day so it could be longer with the monstrous ships in port vying for those same taxis.)

We did find out that the cab driver must pay $2.00 to just get into the cab queue and for that he may get just a $4.00 fare.

The individuals that had the porters take their luggage were told to have the wife (or one of the partners) get in the line and then the other individual went with the porter who took their luggage to the curb. Once the individual in line got to the front of the line, the taxi cab starter would have the cab go over to where the other individual was standing with the bags to load. As I said very organized and civilized. I can only imagine what it would be like without this type of organization.

$40 for 2, and when we added 2 more, $60 for the 4 of us, not including tips. Very nice spacious van, reliable and friendly service. Will use FG again next time we're in Miami in April 2014. Marlene

Thanks for the reply

Lyn

I have arrived in Miami on the Marina twice. Each time it has been bedlam to get a Taxi. Just be prepared to shove and push. That is what I expect to do on Dec. 10, 2012.

Good Luck

Jim and Stan are right. We just arrived at the Miami port after the Transatlantic Thursday morning. I told the porter "here's an extra $20 for you if you can get us a taxi right away." Lo and behold, within 3 minutes I was getting into a cab with my husband and the luggage was loaded for us.

Try tipping, it works!!!

Jim and Stan are right. We just arrived at the Miami port after the Transatlantic Thursday morning. I told the porter "here's an extra $20 for you if you can get us a taxi right away." Lo and behold, within 3 minutes I was getting into a cab with my husband and the luggage was loaded for us.

Try tipping, it works!!!

No difference in pricing with Marlene pre booked car :D

Try tipping, it works!!!

It's not tipping, it's BRIBERY!!!!

Has anybody noticed if there is a parking garage by the pier? We drive to Miami and leave the car in the garage by the ships, but that has been for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I think Oceania berths at a different part of the pier and if there is no garage there, we would have to take a shuttle. We usually take a car service to the piers and airports, but none of them will take us to the Miami port, as the permit is very expensive and liability coverage requirement astronomical. The one service that will do so charges a fortune, so we have given up and just leave our car there. I know FDR says he will never use Port Everglades, but one can always hope.

Has anybody noticed if there is a parking garage by the pier? We drive to Miami and leave the car in the garage by the ships, but that has been for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I think Oceania berths at a different part of the pier and if there is no garage there, we would have to take a shuttle.

The parking garage is maybe 100 ft away from the terminal

Bottom left you will garage J

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/portmiami-map.pdf

Archived