just a reminder -- no power strips

25dbb

We jsut returned from Allure this past Sunday --- our 15th RCCL cruise. We have always take one or two power strips with us for recharging phones, ipads, ipods, camera batteries, electric razors, etc. This time my husband's luggage was sent to the naughty room and he had no idea why--no liquor, no iron. One hour later (took that long between guest services and the naughty room) he returned with his bag. The staff made him remove the power strips and kept them until we returned to Fort Lauderdale. The one staff member said this was the first time he ever saw luggage held for power strips. The staff member who made him remove them said that they were alway prohibited but are now cracking down on this since the Concordia disaster has made the "authorities" more thorough about

some items. This really wasn't a problem on Allure since they have the desk-mounted power plugs (3 which are too close together to use most rechargers). We are just wondering what we will do on Adventure in February that doesn't have plugs as available as on Allure. We may try again and carry one on, maybe they will not care in San Juan.

dbb25

We were able to get our power strip on board, it was packed away, one in the carryon, and one in the bag that had hair straightener, curling iron and hair stuff.

Hope we are able to get one on next July.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Thanks for the tip! Just bought one from Amazon. 57 days until our NYE cruise on the Indy :)

You're welcome. We like this one in particular because it has 2 USB charging ports, so it leaves the big plugs open for things like the curling iron, laptop charger, etc. Our phones and Kindles are charged by the USB outlets.

Bob

I'm glad we weren't the only ones sent to the naughty room for the power strip! It was also on the Allure and it was in April 2011. Not something they just started. However, funny thing is our other bag had a power strip in it too, and it made it to our room. Who knows? lol

We just took one on the Oasis of the Seas. No issue and a girl in our group snuck a travel iron on board.

Why is it that people have to try to get around the safety concerns of the cruise line. If they thought travel irons were safe they would allow them. Wonder how that 'girl in your group' would have felt had the iron started a fire and she endangered the lives of her friends and others onboard.

We jsut returned from Allure this past Sunday --- our 15th RCCL cruise. We have always take one or two power strips with us for recharging phones, ipads, ipods, camera batteries, electric razors, etc. This time my husband's luggage was sent to the naughty room and he had no idea why--no liquor, no iron. One hour later (took that long between guest services and the naughty room) he returned with his bag. The staff made him remove the power strips and kept them until we returned to Fort Lauderdale. The one staff member said this was the first time he ever saw luggage held for power strips. The staff member who made him remove them said that they were alway prohibited but are now cracking down on this since the Concordia disaster has made the "authorities" more thorough about

some items. This really wasn't a problem on Allure since they have the desk-mounted power plugs (3 which are too close together to use most rechargers). We are just wondering what we will do on Adventure in February that doesn't have plugs as available as on Allure. We may try again and carry one on, maybe they will not care in San Juan.

dbb25

Hi! We were on this cruise too and had lunch with a couple where the DH had his luggage pick up in the naughty room. Was this you? There were six of us total, my DH is very quiet, one of the couples was from Alabama. We were all very well traveled.

Anyway, we took an extension cord without issue, but we never needed it.

We've used one of those for a couple of years. We're also going to start carrying one of the European adapters we purchased for our trip to Copenhagen - our iPhones, iPads and camera battery chargers are all dual voltage, so we can take advantage of the extra outlets without having to bring a converter.:)

We have also used the same one on multiple cruises. Just pack it with my camera and no problems. It works great.

I have the same mini strip and do the same thing just put it in my camera bag and carry it on. Having to charge all of my stuff for diving/underwater photography it is plugged in most of the time during the day and a cabin steward hasn't ever said anything about it

CLAREA: you sure have gotten a lot of positive response on posting this link. I was helpful to me, as well. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

CLAREA: you sure have gotten a lot of positive response on posting this link. I was helpful to me, as well. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Thanks. Someone here on CC recommended it to us a few years ago and I'm just passing it along.

Bob

We actually use a surge protector. One of the issues in the past of these being confiscated which had nothing to do with the Concordia btw....guests complaining that their electronics didn't work after getting into port. At many ports the ship switches over to dock facilities and also lowers power on the ships which can cause a surge. Several years ago our room attendant suggested we use the kind with surge protection and just not the "cheap" power strip. It is not listed as not being allowed on board like irons are but we have also had people at our dining table have their flat irons and curling irons taken away as they are fire hazzards also.

Archived