Finally getting back after the storm, Explorer storm questions?

JAMESCC

OK, I was following what was happening to Explorer in the BIG storm up till Monday night at 8:30. What was the final result? What was the trip like? Forgive me as i am sure it was fully answered but I have been out of the loop since Monday. I still don't have power, THANK GOD my in-laws do! I finally have internet, and heat! Oh I'm in NJ by the way, about 40 minutes from Explorer home port. So thanks for any info, its nice to get ANY.

Explorer is due back in port tomorrow so we will have a better idea once they get back. There have been conflicting reports from the ship as to how bad the first few days were and how much damage there was to the ship. All seem to agree there were windows broken in the WJ and that the WJ was closed for a period of time.

As far as the pier and the parking lot, Brilliance came in and has gone back out again. Mixed posts on the parking lot, some say no problems, some say some water in cars and saw one that said cars overturned. Since the Brilliance had not left from Bayonne, people did not have cars at the pier.

So, moral of the story, lots of mixed opinions. I will be interested to hear from people getting off the ship tomorrow, who actually have cars at the pier to find the actual damage.

Just off Explorer. Very rough seas Sunday into Monday. 100 knot winds, ship listing 7-10 degrees 4 majority of morning & into afternoon. Balcony cabins on starboard side got water, so some people had to be moved. The upper decks were closed along with windjammer. People were waiting up to 1.5 hrs to get into main dining for lunch as only place for food. Limited menu of 3 choices.

Water started to smooth out some Monday night and we had nice weather Tuesday thru Friday. More rough weather Saturday but not as bad as the hurricane.

Our route to Bermuda was south along coastline and next to Sandy. Worst cruise out of 9 and the majority if the ship will be letting RCCL know about the experience.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352050737.312474.jpg.23723f83cee908222aefc691367ff2e8.jpg

Why do people complain about the choices they make? Oh to blame your bad decisions on someone else. People had 2 choices. Choice one get on the ship and ride a 1000 mile wide hurricane. Choice number 2 cancel trip and reschedule. Please don't. complain about the choices you made.

Not trying to be saracstic, but from what I've heard.... it was all about the weather. :(

You can be sarcastic you won't hurt my feelings. She had said in another post that it was her worst cruise of all her 9 cruises but she said for many reasons. That is why I asked my question, what other reasons.

Why do people complain about the choices they make? Oh to blame your bad decisions on someone else. People had 2 choices. Choice one get on the ship and ride a 1000 mile wide hurricane. Choice number 2 cancel trip and reschedule. Please don't. complain about the choices you made.

I'm sure the people who made the choice to get on the ship did so trusting in RCCL. How many of those people were thinking, "Well, it must not be that bad if they're not going to cancel the cruise." But 35 ft waves and 1.5 hr lines for food and limited drinking water? That's irresponsible on the cruise lines part. What about the elderly, and those traveling with children?

Yes, RCCL had to send the ship out to sea...but didn't have to risk the extreme discomfort of the passengers to do so. It was a bad decision. Should they get sued? Probably not- but still, it wasn't the fault of the passengers!

I have lived most of my life in hurricane alley. For that reason I would never board a ship when a hurricane is on it's way, in ship's path. Having said that, I'm sure there are many people who really have (or had) no idea what a hurricane is like. Now many of them do.

There were some choices here- 1. Cruise lines could cancel cruise.

2. People could cancel their cruise.

With either choice there would be unhappy people, so basically the cruise lines would take the brunt of customer complaints regardless of the choice made.

You can't stop Mother Nature, all you can do is try to keep you and your family as safe as possible under the circumstances.

Which is not RCI's fault.

The weather is not RCI's fault. The decision to take passengers into 100 mph winds with 30-40 foot seas was their fault. Not being able to adequately feed a few thousand people comfortably? That's also the fault of RCI.

Yes, people chose to get on this cruise. Yes, they foolishly booked during hurricane season (the last few days of it anyway).

But ultimately it was the decision of RCI to take people into the storm.

The weather is not RCI's fault. The decision to take passengers into 100 mph winds with 30-40 foot seas was their fault. Not being able to adequately feed a few thousand people comfortably? That's also the fault of RCI.

Yes, people chose to get on this cruise. Yes, they foolishly booked during hurricane season (the last few days of it anyway).

I've brought over three posts from their roll call from people who posted from the ship and after they have returned home. Seems that no one supports your argument above that RCI took people directly into the storm.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35937870&postcount=1420

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35937870&postcount=1420

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35959827&postcount=1429

RCI are damned if they do and damned if they don't. people are going to complain if thet cancel and they complain if they don't cancel. The ship had to leave port no matter what and the captain made the call that it would be safe to do so. Later in the week at the Captain's Corner he stated that the ship was in no danger and that it was built to sustain far worse. He felt he had made the right decision. We heard many complain about the circumstances, but many more commended the captain and crew for their work - which was indeed well done. No, it was not a comfortable cruise, but the staff did a fantastic job - with smiles.

As for the food situation - when they closed the Windjammer, they had staff handing out sandwiches in the promenade. People were grabbing them right and left and stuffing them in their pockets. I wish I were exaggerating. Honestly, what cruise passenger couldn't stand to skip a meal or two - lol! No one went hungry for more than a couple hours.

You can be sarcastic you won't hurt my feelings. She had said in another post that it was her worst cruise of all her 9 cruises but she said for many reasons. That is why I asked my question, what other reasons.

I too am wondering what the other reasons are.

NO it is their fault for heading right into the storm.

Agreed, It was Captains choice and by proxy RCCL's fault for taking the ship south and into the storm like that. Just like an airline captain is the law on board his aircraft, he's or she never going to fly you into the heart of a thunderstorm.

Agreed, It was Captains choice and by proxy RCCL's fault for taking the ship south and into the storm like that. Just like an airline captain is the law on board his aircraft, he's or she never going to fly you into the heart of a thunderstorm.

The Captain did not take the ship into the heart of the storm. He went south, close to land and then turned towards Bermuda.

The ship had to leave port, they could not stay. The storm was huge with the outer rain bands as far north as New England and as far south as Florida. He chose to go south, around the storm as much as possible, on the weaker side of the storm. His best choice would have been due west, but obviously, that was not an option.

Ships are built to hand seas, the passengers, not so much. The cruiseline should have chosen to cancel the cruise and sailed with just staff and crew, but they didn't. Passengers had the choice to not board the ship whether they were getting a refund or not. The passengers were not forced to board and some chose not to board, I know I would not have gotten on that ship even if it meant losing thousands of dollars.

Archived