motion of the ocean....really.

only1deejay

I've been on my first pacific coastal on princess and was wondering why the ship which is sooo big was always being tossed around even in mildly calm waters...it didn't even out til I got docked in vancouver, BC...is it just the pacific ocean or does it not matter how massive the ship is...water will always win with the movement...FYI: my cabin was near the bridge...is it better to be in the middle of the ship and higher up...my cabin was baja deck.thanks.:)

I am in the future looking to book with carnival.

The body of water is much larger than your ship so it's movement is very strong in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't matter what ocean or sea you are in. It's still a matter of physics.

As for rooms, yes mid ship and higher up is always going to be more stable. If you suffer from motion sickness those are the ideal rooms to get.

As for rooms, yes mid ship and higher up is always going to be more stable. If you suffer from motion sickness those are the ideal rooms to get.

I agree with the midship, but I believe that nearer to the waterline has less motion, as in a seesaw (teeter-totter).

was wondering why the ship which is sooo big was always being tossed around even in mildly calm waters...it didn't even out til I got docked in vancouver, BC...is it just the pacific ocean or does it not matter how massive the ship is...water will always win with the movement...FYI: my cabin was near the bridge...is it better to be in the middle of the ship and higher up...my cabin was baja deck.thanks.:)

First, what do you mean by "being tossed around?" To me, "being tossed around" would mean things were falling off shelves.

The swells (as opposed to surface waves) in the oceans are incredibly powerful. Did you see what happened during Hurricane Sandy - a lot of that damage wasn't wind or rain, but the sheer force of the tides. Even if the surface of the water is calm because there is no surface wind, there are swells.

And no matter how big a ship is - it will rock and sway. A lot of cruisers consider this a feature, not a bug. It's also why people who get seasick get seasick equally badly in good weather as in bad.

I'm really glad you asked this question because I think perhaps we forget that newcomers to cruising can forget that even in calm water, it takes a day or two to "get your sea legs" and get used to the motion on the ocean.

Yes, it's almost always there. Yes the bow and stern cabins get the most movement. Try walking around the promenade deck when it's really rough. You can really tell the difference when you're walking mid-ship from when you walk around the bow or stern. Mid-ships is the fulcrum of the seesaw. And lower is more stable, not higher. There's a reason the Doc's office is always on a low level.

Archived