Brand New to Board and to Cruising!

Cathy in Boston

Hi, all!

Just joined last night! (Long time poster on Aruba and Las Vegas boards, if anyone here is familiar with any.)

My husband and I are taking our very first cruise next September! We're going with two other couples (cruise veterans) on a 7-day Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity Century. I know I will have tons of questions between now and then, but will first try to peruse the board to see if some of them have already been answered here as I'm sure they have! But for now I just wanted to say hello!

So - HELLO!!! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We have been on two Alaska cruises, so far, and hope to take more in the future. You are going to have an amazing adventure.

Make sure to read the Alaska discussings. You will find an abundance of information there.

Also sign up for your cruise roll call in the Roll Call section.

Happy Sailing!

We took a 14-day cruise on Princess in August. Up and back from Vancouver. Do the Skagway White Pass Rail excursion and bring a small towel in case the windows fog up. We were lucky and had great weather. Great excursion. Skip the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau. $29 for a high view. I'm glad we didn't do any of the food related excursions. We had so much salmon on board we haven't had it since we've been home. We booked ahead for Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan. Local lady who took us on a nice easy hike and to the totems. Very personal and informative. It gets cold! Dress for cold outside, warm inside. I was sorry we didn't spend a few days in Vancouver. It looked interesting. We took a trip to Mendenhall on a bus that was dockside. $16 and we saw what we wanted. The local bus in Skagway is only about $5 for a day pass. Took it to Jewell gardens which has a nice little cafe and gift shop and a very nice garden. Then took the bus to the gold rush cemetery for a short hike to see the old grave sites and a nice little creek and falls. Then bus back to town which is very small. Whittier has a good little military museum according to my husband. I stayed on board to do laundry. A woman's work! Juneau has a nice city museum. Small but informative. Find a place to park yourself at the glaciers. It was beautiful to just sit and watch. Have a great time! We did.

Hi, all!

Just joined last night! (Long time poster on Aruba and Las Vegas boards, if anyone here is familiar with any.)

My husband and I are taking our very first cruise next September! We're going with two other couples (cruise veterans) on a 7-day Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity Century. I know I will have tons of questions between now and then, but will first try to peruse the board to see if some of them have already been answered here as I'm sure they have! But for now I just wanted to say hello!

So - HELLO!!! :)

Welcome to CC!

Cathy - welcome to Cruise Critic! The Alaska board is a great place for everything from advice on clothing to pack to wonderful excursions. The Celebrity board will be the place to get answers to Celebrity specific questions (dress code on board for the MDR etc). Please check out your cruise's roll call and get to know some of the people who will be on your cruise (you can also possibly share excursions there as well).

Alaska is gorgeous and addictive! And IMO, Hubbard Glacier is just jaw-dropping! In September, the ships can usually get pretty close and it's amazing!

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to CC. We did an Alaskan cruise on Princess in 2009 from late August to early September. We had a balcony and it does get cold!! :eek:

Princess did provide lap blankets which was nice. But we had read on CC to bring a heating pad, which we alternated sitting on it while watching the glaciers. :cool: We even got a chance to see a glacier calf! :)

Enjoy your pre-cruise excitement!!! :D

Hi to you Cathy.and welcome...what is the Aruba board you mentioned...? Went there in march and had so much fun......

Okay, I tried to figure out how to send a private message but can't seem to find how...so, hopefully it is okay to put this link on here. I used to post on this board a lot, but, well, let's just say, some of the folks on there are not quite as welcoming as they could be....

http://www.aruba-bb.com/

We go to Aruba once a year and own a timeshare there, so, if you do have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help!

Archived