Quick tipping question

azgkrudi

We will be in a suite on the Pearl, and of course, will tip our butler and concierge according to their services. Our last time on NCL (PoA, 2007) - we were going to tip our butler the first day and he declined, saying he wanted us to wait until the end of the cruise to make sure everything went well for us. We really appreciated that. Will this be the case on the Pearl? Anyone have a butler or concierge put their hand out expecting a tip daily?

We will be in a suite on the Pearl, and of course, will tip our butler and concierge according to their services. Our last time on NCL (PoA, 2007) - we were going to tip our butler the first day and he declined, saying he wanted us to wait until the end of the cruise to make sure everything went well for us. We really appreciated that. Will this be the case on the Pearl? Anyone have a butler or concierge put their hand out expecting a tip daily?

We always tip the butler and concierge at the end of the cruise.

No, never. We tip at the end of the cruise.

I've never had a butler or concierge put their hand out at anytime. However, they've graciously accepted our tips at the end of the cruise. ;) I know others like to "tip as they go" or "tip up front as an incentive for service" but I prefer to keep things simple and tip at the end of cruise in amounts that align with our experiences.

Enjoy your adventure!

I don't think any NCL butler would expect a tip daily, almost everyone tips at the end of the cruise. Some people may tip at the beginning thinking they'll get better service but we got amazing service on the Jewel a few weeks ago and tipped at the end. We left an envelope on the bed for our room steward the last night, before turn down service. We knew we would see out butler and concierge on the final morning and gave them each an envelope.

We also added a small tip ($5) when we ate at specialty restaurants and got great service, which was every time. Although I think most people say that's not necessary.

We tip the Buler an Concierge the first day if we request services through pre-concierge and our requests were met. This is followed by a mid-week tip and a end of sail tip. Not many do it this way, but I like it.:)

I don't think any NCL butler would expect a tip daily, almost everyone tips at the end of the cruise. Some people may tip at the beginning thinking they'll get better service but we got amazing service on the Jewel a few weeks ago and tipped at the end. We left an envelope on the bed for our room steward the last night, before turn down service. We knew we would see out butler and concierge on the final morning and gave them each an envelope.

We also added a small tip ($5) when we ate at specialty restaurants and got great service, which was every time. Although I think most people say that's not necessary.

Realizing this is a frequent discussion........however......we are trying a suite on our next cruise. How much did you tip your butler at the end of your cruise? 7 day cruise?

$10/person/day is the standard tip for the standard services your butler provides, so for 2 people in a suite for 7 nights- About $150, but that is just a guideline. If you feel that the service you receive does not justify that size of a tip, feel free to adjust it. More would be appropriate if you have several special requests or felt the service was exceptional.

I find it awkward to pass a wad of cash to the butler/concierge/steward at the end of the cruise, so I recommend bringing some small thank you cards that you can write a quick note in and then put the $$ in the envelope.

One more thing- I think most butlers would rather be thanked with their tip at the end of the cruise, rather than "bribed" for good service at the start. I think it is a bit insulting and icky feeling for them.

$10/person/day is the standard tip for the standard services your butler provides, so for 2 people in a suite for 7 nights- About $150, but that is just a guideline. If you feel that the service you receive does not justify that size of a tip, feel free to adjust it. More would be appropriate if you have several special requests or felt the service was exceptional.

I find it awkward to pass a wad of cash to the butler/concierge/steward at the end of the cruise, so I recommend bringing some small thank you cards that you can write a quick note in and then put the $$ in the envelope.

One more thing- I think most butlers would rather be thanked with their tip at the end of the cruise, rather than "bribed" for good service at the start. I think it is a bit insulting and icky feeling for them.

:( I do not see it as bribing at all to say thank you on the fist day if they have fullfilled a bunch of pre-boarding requests. I say thank you for everything you did for me to get the room ready. I do not hand it to them, I get a certificate through guest services and add an highly appreciative note.

:( I do not see it as bribing at all to say thank you on the fist day if they have fullfilled a bunch of pre-boarding requests. I say thank you for everything you did for me to get the room ready. I do not hand it to them, I get a certificate through guest services and add an highly appreciative note.

I meant no offence. I agree that at boarding would be appropriate for the concierge in that situation, but the butlers duties are quite different and I just think a different approach is better. It definitely depends on ones attitude, though, no matter before or after. Just really important to tread lightly and not come across as a rich white gringo buying someone off if you want to tip before.

We'll be sailing in our first suite on the Gem in September (aft 10666). This is our 4th cruise and we decided to treat ourselves.

Looking forward to the suite life after reading all the great comments. We'll just relax and enjoy ourselves and this new experience.....

I did have one question regarding tipping? At the end of the cruise and we're all packed and ready to leave the ship, will the butler and concierge be there? I'm not sure about the timing.

Do we tip earlier in the morning? Call them and ask them to stop by? What is the best way to hand the tips over?

Thanks

We go to front desk to charge the tips to the room card. You can bring thank you notes to put with the tips if you wish, the front desk puts them in the crew mailbox. We find this super convenient.

Ironically, it's the one time you'll have to go to the front office as your concerierge will handle all other such tasks for you.

We go to front desk to charge the tips to the room card. You can bring thank you notes to put with the tips if you wish, the front desk puts them in the crew mailbox. We find this super convenient.

Ironically, it's the one time you'll have to go to the front office as your concerierge will handle all other such tasks for you.

It never occurred to me that this was possible. Just wondering though, do you know for sure that the tips get to the proper person, or just added into the daily service charge pool? And does the butler, for instance, know it is from you?

If you have developed a bit of a relationship, it does seem sort of impersonal.

Plus, you have to make the trip to the desk. But, it does iliminate the need to make sure you have the cash.

I did have one question regarding tipping? At the end of the cruise and we're all packed and ready to leave the ship, will the butler and concierge be there? I'm not sure about the timing.

Do we tip earlier in the morning? Call them and ask them to stop by? What is the best way to hand the tips over?

Thanks

You will see the butler I'm sure. He will probably stop by to say goodbye. If you have not seen him by the time you are ready to leave, it shouldn't be too hard to locate him down the hall.

There should be cards and envelopes left for you on the table the night before for notes and tips. Probably 3, incase you want to tip the room steward extra.

If you are having the concierge walk you off the ship, you see them then.

It never occurred to me that this was possible. Just wondering though, do you know for sure that the tips get to the proper person, or just added into the daily service charge pool? And does the butler, for instance, know it is from you?

If you have developed a bit of a relationship, it does seem sort of impersonal.

Plus, you have to make the trip to the desk. But, it does iliminate the need to make sure you have the cash.

Both times we have done this, the butler and the concierge have thanked us on the last day.

I meant no offence. I agree that at boarding would be appropriate for the concierge in that situation, but the butlers duties are quite different and I just think a different approach is better. It definitely depends on ones attitude, though, no matter before or after. Just really important to tread lightly and not come across as a rich white gringo buying someone off if you want to tip before.

I agree that the act of tipping the first day needs to be a sincere gesture. When I request so many things to be ready in the cabin like: a feather free room, 2 buckets of beer, fridge emptied and restocked with my things, extra tall champagne flutes, 3 buckets of champagne on ice, 2 lounge chairs on the balcony, extra foam pillows, chocolate strawberries. fruit and cheese platter, and more all to be set up prior to embarkation, that deserves an immediate sincere thank you to the Butler, room steward and the concierge imho. I tell them all how much I appreciate what they did for me in person, and follow up with tips left at the front desk along with a letter rereiterating my appreciation.

Cherie

We'll be sailing in our first suite on the Gem in September (aft 10666). This is our 4th cruise and we decided to treat ourselves.

Looking forward to the suite life after reading all the great comments. We'll just relax and enjoy ourselves and this new experience.....

Thanks

You Butler and Concierge carry phones at all times, so just give them a ring if you want to locate them. I always give the last tip in person in an envelope with a thank you letter. I also show them the comment cards that I wrote for them (that always makes them smile ). I also write comment cards for them all on the first day if all of my requests were filled (I let them read those too).

Have a wonderful time and I hope you enjoy the Suite life as much as I do!

I agree that the act of tipping the first day needs to be a sincere gesture. When I request so many things to be ready in the cabin like: a feather free room, 2 buckets of beer, fridge emptied and restocked with my things, extra tall champagne flutes, 3 buckets of champagne on ice, 2 lounge chairs on the balcony, extra foam pillows, chocolate strawberries. fruit and cheese platter, and more all to be set up prior to embarkation, that deserves an immediate sincere thank you to the Butler, room steward and the concierge imho. I tell them all how much I appreciate what they did for me in person, and follow up with tips left at the front desk along with a letter rereiterating my appreciation.

Wow! Yes, I agree that would require some extra tipping.

Archived