WiFi Package on Marina

pwchief

I presume that a couple can share a single $25 package, as long as they aren't on at the same time?

Yes that is true. I used a laptop and occasionally my iPhone this summer. You just cannot be logged in with two devices at the same time.

I had the unlimited package and, at least for me, the service was not very good. Unfortunately, Verizon does not offer a low-speed option to look at your email, so it is trying to download all sorts of garbage all the time, and it makes the experience really sloooooowww. I also really needed to access a web site that I use to build customers' sites, and it did not work at all. It is a very, very data-intensive site, admittedly, but I had hoped that the service would have handled it.

Doing routine things, the service is OK most of the time. When the seas were somewhat rough, service really ground to a stop. Was it worth perhaps $10 a day? Absolutely. Was it worth $24.95/day? No way, no how. I only tried to use it once or perhaps twice a day, and due to the sites I was trying to use, it barely functioned if it functioned at all. It is better than it used to be, but it still has a ways to go.

Has anyone used the $25/day unlimited wifi package that Oceania Marina offers? Does it work well, or is the wifi in and out? We're will be on the Jan 16th Marina Tahiti Cruise and need to stay connected.

Is the $25 pkg the only one available or are there other options? We are considering an Oceania cruise and find this awfully high.

Sydney

Is the $25 pkg the only one available or are there other options? We are considering an Oceania cruise and find this awfully high.

Sydney

Yes there are other options:

from the Oceania site:

Internet Packages:

Unlimited Cruise Package and 200 Anytime Minutes Package

For more information on these packages and on à la carte minutes, please visit the Oceania@Sea Internet Center while onboard.

Yes there are other options:

from the Oceania site:

Internet Packages:

Unlimited Cruise Package and 200 Anytime Minutes Package

For more information on these packages and on à la carte minutes, please visit the Oceania@Sea Internet Center while onboard.

Thanks Jim and Stan. I saw that on the site but I wondered if anyone knew the actual charges for the 200 min pkg. It seems the unlimited is $25/day but I can't find the cost for the other one. Anyone know??

Sydney

Thanks Jim and Stan. I saw that on the site but I wondered if anyone knew the actual charges for the 200 min pkg. It seems the unlimited is $25/day but I can't find the cost for the other one. Anyone know??

Sydney

I saw someplace that is was $160 but they use to have other minute packages

If you use the internet a lot onboard the unlimited would e the better deal I think

I now only buy the 100 min package & just curb my obsession ;)

Lyn

I saw someplace that is was $160 but they use to have other minute packages

If you use the internet a lot onboard the unlimited would e the better deal I think

I now only buy the 100 min package & just curb my obsession ;)

Lyn

Thanks. It is good to know there are other pkgs. Their website only mentioned 2 and we don't need such huge amounts of Internet time. We just touch base with home once a day.

I did not try to use FTP for work on the web site I needed to work on -- that was not an option for what I had to do. As bad an unreliable as the connections are, moving any large file by ftp might become problematic, but I never tried it.

I did not try to use FTP for work on the web site I needed to work on -- that was not an option for what I had to do. As bad an unreliable as the connections are, moving any large file by ftp might become problematic, but I never tried it.

FTP should work on any connection

It is the original method of transferring data over the Internet (ARPNET)

and the 1st test of FTP was in 1969

"The ARPANET was the first wide area packet switching network, the "Eve" network of what has evolved into the Internet we know and love today."

Still I will have a look for the most bullet proof FTP as I keep an eye on several Web Pages.

Well that was easy :p

BulletProof FTP

"Automated FTP client, which downloads files in any order, from any directory on an FTP site, automatically reconnects, and resumes from where it left off if the connection is broken"

We are on the Riviera transatlantic right now and the Internet options were as follows: unlimited package for $24.99 per day but only available up to three days after embarkation;200 anytime minutes for $160 and a la carte $.99 per minute. We purchased the unlimited package and have been pleased with it so far. Is it perfect, no but at least we are not paying for minutes that in the past were not being able to be used since it took so long to load a page and disconnect. We have gotten dropped a few times, but have been able to go back and re log in with out too much difficulty. Definitely a big plus compared to the past! Thank you Oceania for giving us this option.

We are on the Riviera transatlantic right now and the Internet options were as follows: unlimited package for $24.99 per day but only available up to three days after embarkation;200 anytime minutes for $160 and a la carte $.99 per minute.

So they now only have the 200 min package is that correct ?

Can you buy a daily unlimited package just for a day?

I saw early on in the change over that was an option or is all or 200 min in the packages?

Lyn

25 a day for the whole cruise. No single day option at this price. If you pay by the minute or similar package you best log off each time or you will be surprised that the time continues to tick by. Didn't log off the other day and I aguired ober 500 minutes over night. At per minute price this would add up considerablity. Good thing for unlimted axcess. Am on the TA now and have had no problems with Internet connection.

25 a day for the whole cruise. No single day option at this price. If you pay by the minute or similar package you best log off each time or you will be surprised that the time continues to tick by. Didn't log off the other day and I aguired ober 500 minutes over night. At per minute price this would add up considerablity. Good thing for unlimted axcess. Am on the TA now and have had no problems with Internet connection.

Thanks

I always log off when finished ;)

So they now only have the 200 min package is that correct ?

Can you buy a daily unlimited package just for a day?

I saw early on in the change over that was an option or is all or 200 min in the packages?

Lyn

Yes, the only minute package is 200 minutes for $160 and can be purchased at anytime.

I do not believe that you can buy the unlimited package for just one day, but you must purchase it my the third day as it is no longer available for purchase after that time. We departed on the 15th and I know for a fact you can not purchase it any longer and today is the 19th.

Like I stated in my post above, three options: unlimited (purchased by third day); 200 minutes for $160; or $.99 per minute.

We have been very very happy with the unlimited package!

Yes, the only minute package is 200 minutes for $160 and can be purchased at anytime.

I do not believe that you can buy the unlimited package for just one day, but you must purchase it my the third day as it is no longer available for purchase after that time. We departed on the 15th and I know for a fact you can not purchase it any longer and today is the 19th.

Like I stated in my post above, three options: unlimited (purchased by third day); 200 minutes for $160; or $.99 per minute.

We have been very very happy with the unlimited package!

Thanks for the verification of the new plans

I use to get the 100min package which was fine for us

I do not plan on using it much so will go ashore to the WiFi spots if this is the new pricing

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
Using it right now on the Marina, Rome to Rio cruise. For the most part it works great. We got the unlimited package part way through the trip and are really happy we did.

Ditto for our cruise on the Nautica.

Works quite well, especially if you don't have to count the minutes :)

Great for "watching" football games online as they are not on TV.

Archived