Pre authorisation on credit cards

SALAD MUNCHER

I think many are missing the point here. The fact is that HAL and most other businesses are treating 100% of their (supposedly valued) customers like thieves when less than 0.1 % of them actually are. I am astonished at the number of people posting above who apparently think this is an acceptable practice. I am not a thief and I resent being treated like one, so I often push back on this type of treatment. I recognize that it probably won't change anything in the short run, but the point needs to be made. If we don't push back it will only get worse in the futre.

I have had my card blocked while travelling several times by the card issuer because they "suspect" a perfectly legitimate transaction was fraudulent. Then they get huffy when I go ballistic on them for leaving me stranded with an inop card. I don't react very well to that type of treatment. Sorry to the apologists, but fraud perpetrated by someone else is not my problem.

I don't have a problem with HAL or a hotel or car rental company placing a hold on credit cards. When the cruise line or hotel gets stiffed, the paying customers get stuck with those charges built into room cost/fares.

We pay for shoplifting by others, we pay for deadbeats skipping out on cruise line bills.......

I think it reasonable these business try to protect themselves and their paying customers.

As to going ballistic if a card is frozen....... IF, IF, IF you called in advance to advise them you would be using the card in a vacation location, then you would be right. If, If, If you did not alert them, they acted reasonably IMO

Is there something the matter with insides? Even for a honeymoon? Especially if that's what you can afford???

No. I am only familiar with one inside, on an NCL ship many years ago. It was NOT what we wanted on a cruise; enough room for both of us to dress would be nice, a shower thay did not wet the entire bathroom would be even better (Do you like a wet seat?:confused:).:( We also found that we may have a touch of claustrophobia (sp?).

I know from your posts you use them, and from the web that HAL has much nicer staterooms inside, but we will stick to one that has at least a porthole.

No, it's better to go the top of the line and then complain about it:rolleyes:. Why live within your means?

They only wanted the holds to be reasonable so they could used the balance above the holds for other things. They had money for the cruise, hotel and reasonable additional charges.

I think many are missing the point here. The fact is that HAL and most other businesses are treating 100% of their (supposedly valued) customers like thieves when less than 0.1 % of them actually are. I am astonished at the number of people posting above who apparently think this is an acceptable practice. I am not a thief and I resent being treated like one, so I often push back on this type of treatment. I recognize that it probably won't change anything in the short run, but the point needs to be made. If we don't push back it will only get worse in the futre.

I have had my card blocked while travelling several times by the card issuer because they "suspect" a perfectly legitimate transaction was fraudulent. Then they get huffy when I go ballistic on them for leaving me stranded with an inop card. I don't react very well to that type of treatment. Sorry to the apologists, but fraud perpetrated by someone else is not my problem.

Sorry to disappoint you Neil, but I was a banker for many, many years. If you want to pay cash - hotels will usually ask for far more than your room cost. Holds are a way of business - why should the business take a risk? That was part of the point of credit cards;)

I don't feel it's like treating us like thieves, I just think it is good business practice - sorry, but that's my opinion.

The only time my card was frozen was when it was counterfeited and I was truly appreciative of my credit card being vigilant. They knew I was away - but the pattern wasn't mine and they froze it until they could reach me. They protected me from nearly $15,000 worth of fraud and I was not held liable for one penny as I had done everything properly.

We always let the credit card and debit card companies know we are going, our itinerary and where we will be. I have never encountered a problem - but if I did I would know something was untoward and again, appreciate my credit card's vigilance. We don't travel with a lot of cards but we always take 2 to be on the safe side:)

Each to their own but I can tell you that companies years ago were advised to do this for their protection - it might only be 1%, but most companies cannot afford this loss without charging the good customers more:rolleyes::p Smooth seas!

I called Discover to let them know I will be on this trip and will be in certain other countries and could need to use my card besides my ship charges. They were happy I called and thanked me for letting them know in advance.

After having our card declined while in Europe we ALWAYS call before we go on a trip. They are always thankful and we haven't had a problem since.

That problem is easy to solve. Call your credit card company and notify them BEFORE your cruise that you will be traveling by HAL ship, and will visit ports in this area (Caribbean, European, etc.) Always works for us.

They only wanted the holds to be reasonable so they could used the balance above the holds for other things. They had money for the cruise, hotel and reasonable additional charges.

Maybe they would have had more room on their CC if that hadn't purchased a suite. It took me many, many years to get to the point where I felt comfortable getting a balcony room. I make good money and I'm responsible for what I owe. We all want nice things, sometimes we can't have it.

No. I am only familiar with one inside, on an NCL ship many years ago. It was NOT what we wanted on a cruise; enough room for both of us to dress would be nice, a shower thay did not wet the entire bathroom would be even better (Do you like a wet seat?:confused:).:( We also found that we may have a touch of claustrophobia (sp?).

I know from your posts you use them, and from the web that HAL has much nicer staterooms inside, but we will stick to one that has at least a porthole.

My inside cabin on the Mardi Gras all those many years ago was so small I had to back into the bathroom to sit down because there wasn't room to turn around once in there. And I was a size 5 at the time! The shower sprayed everywhere.

I even had an upgrade to a cabin that had a private bathroom!

But it was what I could afford at the time without going into hock, so that was where I bunked.

That's what responsible people do---live within their means.

As the OP and having read the comments following my first post, I feel I need to clarify my reasons for the comments I made originally.

We are not cruising USA to USA for maybe up to 7 days. We are doing a 16 day trip from Sydney, Australia to Singapore.

Originating from the UK we have already paid for flights to Sydney and return from Singapore to join this trip for around $3000.We are staying in Sydney for 4 days in a top flight hotel at around $400 per night room only!

We have already paid HAL approx $6,500 for the cruise, $1400 for excursions and $675 for 3 x beverage cards, a total to HAL of $8575.

When we arrive in Singapore we have booked two nights in a top hotel, at around $800. All in all this is a huge chunk of money at $13,175 so far.

We are a recently retired couple and have in the last few weeks have managed to obtain a credit card which charges no fees for overseas use, but which unfortunately gives you a credit limit based on your earnings, which in our case is just two small pensions, so not a high limit given in the first instance. It takes no account of any savings or other monies you might have from other sources. Our second credit card, although with a higher limit charges 2.5% fees for overseas use.

We have already had to pay the 2.5% fees for our HAL tours and beverage card because we used our old credit card. So already we have ‘lost’ £60 (or $85) in cc fees. We have tried to pay for the majority of the cruise costs in advance in order for any further costs on our trip to be fee free by using our new credit card. Who in their right mind wants to pay fees for making a simple transaction? Therefore with all meals, trips and drinks paid for we don’t see us having much more to be added to our on board account.

We wanted to use our new card on this trip for incidental expenses such as meals, trips etc. in Sydney and Singapore, which would save us the 2.5% fees, but because HAL now insist on $960 each or $1920 for both of us, this means a big chunk of our limit on this card is almost taken out and might be for 30 days post cruise, so this means we will have to use our other credit card for any purchases we make over and above this limit, therefore incurring a 2.5% fee. The same goes if we use one of our debit cards.

The reason I made the comments on my original post was that I believe that yes, there should be some way for HAL to ensure their bills are paid by the ‘irresponsible passengers’ but without the need to place all their genuine honest passengers in the ‘might not pay’ category and therefore cause inconvenience and problems for them.

I note that some posters have said ‘if you can’t afford the pre-authorisation’ you shouldn’t be booking a cruise’. These are comments made by people who have no idea of what they are talking about, and who should not generalise their comments. We can well afford to take any trip we want anywhere in the world, BUT why should we have to pay 2.5% fees on everything just because we don’t live on credit? We are pensioners and want to ensure we get full value for our money!

2.5% fees on everything

What kind of fee are you paying every time you use your card, if you don't mind my asking?

And, I for one never assumed you could not afford the cruise, but do want to remind you that you can pay a cash deposit rather than use a card if you choose. Others have pointed out that you MIGHT be able to negotiate a lower cash deposit since you have pre-paid for excursions, etc...

Your hold won't start until your cruise starts. So you most certainly will be able to use your zero-fee card in Sydney. Put a DIFFERENT card on your account for your "hold", then go to the front desk on the last night of the cruise (be prepared to WAIT :eek: in a line-up) and pay off whatever is showing on your account with your no-fee card. That will mean the "hold" may not drop off your other card immediately but you WILL be able to use your no-fee card in Singapore, because there won't be any "hold" affecting your available credit.

I think this solves your main concern -- maximizing use of your zero-fee card, and not impeding your ability to use it.

We just got a USD $$ credit card (we are Canadian) so I do understand how that 2.5% adds up, as we've paid it many times int he past.

<snip>

The reason I made the comments on my original post was that I believe that yes, there should be some way for HAL to ensure their bills are paid by the ‘irresponsible passengers’ but without the need to place all their genuine honest passengers in the ‘might not pay’ category and therefore cause inconvenience and problems for them.

I note that some posters have said ‘if you can’t afford the pre-authorisation’ you shouldn’t be booking a cruise’. These are comments made by people who have no idea of what they are talking about, and who should not generalise their comments. We can well afford to take any trip we want anywhere in the world, BUT why should we have to pay 2.5% fees on everything just because we don’t live on credit? We are pensioners and want to ensure we get full value for our money!

How is HAL to know who is the" irresponsible passenger who might not pay?" They cannot pick out here and there guests about whom they may have doubts for whatever reason. They have to apply the same policy to everyone.

What kind of fee are you paying every time you use your card, if you don't mind my asking?

And, I for one never assumed you could not afford the cruise, but do want to remind you that you can pay a cash deposit rather than use a card if you choose. Others have pointed out that you MIGHT be able to negotiate a lower cash deposit since you have pre-paid for excursions, etc...

We have to pay 2.5% on every foreign transaction!

Thanks for the info re cash BUT we are taking Aussie, Indonesian and Singaporean money in cash to use for taxis, snacks and drinks etc. for our trip, and to have to carry an extra $2000 cash to hand in to HAL is a pain. Firstly we would have to exchange our £s for $s, incurring a fee, and then when it is finalised on board and we receive back the unused $s we have to pay once again to transfer back to £s! It seems we don't really have a choice but to use our cc with probable fees involved.

When we travel, there are certain fees and costs associated with international travel and it's part of the cost of the trip. None of us like transaction fees, currency change fees and the like but we all have them in varying amounts. It's part of the expenses we incur if we want to see the world. No one welcomes them but what are you doing to do?

Do enlighten me then. This tells me nothing.

How is HAL to know who is the" irresponsible passenger who might not pay?" They cannot pick out here and there guests about whom they may have doubts for whatever reason. They have to apply the same policy to everyone.

Wouldn't they tell you they are irresponsible:rolleyes::D;). Really, I think the OP would be much better off with another cruise line that suits them better since HAL is doing nothing but scamming people.

Well, I am not sure it's a case of can't afford, but don't want to plan ahead. When we first started cruising, we were not in the same financial situation we are now --- so I planned meticulously for expenses. I knew to the penny everything we would spend before and after the cruise. At that time, HAL was the 'no tip required' cruise line -- but we budgeted for tips for those who deserved it. Now HAL, being a responsible business, takes precautions and puts a hold on the credit cards. Even now, being in a better financial position, I plan the expenses and know when which charges will hit the credit card.

I am lucky to have an AMEX card where holds don't impact my spending -- but I've had the card for years (sometimes it feels like centuries). However, I am one of those folks that checks my charges and accounts on a daily basis, and have caught many bad charges--sometimes AMEX catches them sometimes I do.

For us, the 2.5% foreign exchange charge adds up. I totally understand why people would do what they can to avoid it. For our upcoming cruise, we'll be saving around $180 by using a US-denominated credit card in place of our Cdn card that charges foreign exchange. To me $180 is significant.

As the OP and having read the comments following my first post, I feel I need to clarify my reasons for the comments I made originally.

We are not cruising USA to USA for maybe up to 7 days. We are doing a 16 day trip from Sydney, Australia to Singapore.

Originating from the UK we have already paid for flights to Sydney and return from Singapore to join this trip for around $3000.We are staying in Sydney for 4 days in a top flight hotel at around $400 per night room only!

We have already paid HAL approx $6,500 for the cruise, $1400 for excursions and $675 for 3 x beverage cards, a total to HAL of $8575.

When we arrive in Singapore we have booked two nights in a top hotel, at around $800. All in all this is a huge chunk of money at $13,175 so far.

We are a recently retired couple and have in the last few weeks have managed to obtain a credit card which charges no fees for overseas use, but which unfortunately gives you a credit limit based on your earnings, which in our case is just two small pensions, so not a high limit given in the first instance. It takes no account of any savings or other monies you might have from other sources. Our second credit card, although with a higher limit charges 2.5% fees for overseas use.

We have already had to pay the 2.5% fees for our HAL tours and beverage card because we used our old credit card. So already we have ‘lost’ £60 (or $85) in cc fees. We have tried to pay for the majority of the cruise costs in advance in order for any further costs on our trip to be fee free by using our new credit card. Who in their right mind wants to pay fees for making a simple transaction? Therefore with all meals, trips and drinks paid for we don’t see us having much more to be added to our on board account.

We wanted to use our new card on this trip for incidental expenses such as meals, trips etc. in Sydney and Singapore, which would save us the 2.5% fees, but because HAL now insist on $960 each or $1920 for both of us, this means a big chunk of our limit on this card is almost taken out and might be for 30 days post cruise, so this means we will have to use our other credit card for any purchases we make over and above this limit, therefore incurring a 2.5% fee. The same goes if we use one of our debit cards.

Put the card with the 2.5% fee as your "guarantee card" but prior to leaving the cruise, settle up with your no fee card. That will eliminate the hold placed on the fee free card in the first place.

Put the card with the 2.5% fee as your "guarantee card" but prior to leaving the cruise, settle up with your no fee card. That will eliminate the hold placed on the fee free card in the first place.

My suggestion in post #37, that the OP has not replied to ......

For us, the 2.5% foreign exchange charge adds up. I totally understand why people would do what they can to avoid it. For our upcoming cruise, we'll be saving around $180 by using a US-denominated credit card in place of our Cdn card that charges foreign exchange. To me $180 is significant.

I don't know anyone who turns their nose to $180.

My suggestion in post #37, that the OP has not replied to ......

No because the OP is too busy being upset with those that don't agree with them to listen to helpful info. The OP could also call HAL and see if some arrangement could be made to put less down. I know others have been successful in getting the amount reduced.

There are a lot of people ignorant about cards and holds. First off, ALL MasterCard’s and Visa cards are credit cards and not debits cards as far as the merchant is concerned. The merchant does not care if you where dumb enough to tie a credit card directly to your bank account. A pure debit card must be used with a pin. If you don't use a pin on a transaction you are using the card as a credit card giving Visa or Master the right to debit your account asap (not necessarily at the time of the transaction this could be minutes to hours later).

Almost all hotels, car rentals, restaurants, gas stations, cruise lines put holds on credit cards (this includes the Visa and MasterCard symbol debit cards. ) People just don’t know they are doing this most of the time.

ALL cruise lines will use the hold to make sure you have the funds.

http://daviswiki.org/authorization_hold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/buyers-fume-at-gas-credit-cards-1267.php

A quick update before speculations ran rampant.

I totally forgot to call HAL today during day time and only remember this thing when I finally started to update our accounting records. (I spent 2 hours this morning sorting the pile of mails, then ran some errands after that, and finally got all the bills / bank statements / broker statements etc etc organized, junk mails threw away...)

By the time I logged on Citibank's site to look at the HHonor cards account activities, it was already 8:30 EST. Immediately I noticed there was a NEW authorization of $302.50 on my card from "Steamships / Cruiseline" being put on 11/06 though I dont think it is there before today despite the date shown. The final bill did post correctly with a date of 11/05. Again, the bill was NOT shown on 11/05 our disembarkation date, nor even yesterday before midnight. It must show up today after last night's update but carries 11/05 date.

With Citibank, you only see the transaction date online during mid-cycle. The Post Date would only show up AFTER statement is closed. This is an annoying shortcoming of Citibank's online function to say the least.

It is so strange that, instead of releasing the pending authorization since the final bill is billed, it looks like HAL has put a FRESH hold to my account with the amount being the EXACT difference between the 10/22 authorization of $1908.50 and the actual bill of $1606.00.

When I called Citi, the supervisor said there was no merchant's name associated with the $302.50 pending, other than the Merchant Category, and furthermore, there is no authorization ID associated to this pending authorization. Although the supervisor insisted that the authorization has to come from the merchant and could not be generated from the bank within. I have seen many pre-authorizations from hotel's stays before - they usually carry an authorization IDs. It is a common practice for hotels overseas to run an authorization and give you the "receipt" to show the amount they put on but emphasize to you it is an authorization only. There is ALWAYS an authorization ID / reference number on the "receipt".

Oddly, on my husband's card which has has $1774.95 hold on 10/22, the hold completely dropped off and only his final bill of $1677.95 shows on his card.

Citi's supervisor dug up HAL's number for me. When I called, the reservation rep said the accounting dept has already closed - they work 7 to 5pm Western time, so they were already closed when I discovered this oddity on my card. The rep gave me the accounting dept direct toll free number which is 1-888-663-5384.

Now, not only for the communty's good, but for my own good also, I would have to call HAL tomorrow to find out exactly what has been going on.

Archived